Aitkins bars or others “safe”?

Options
I would like to do this long term but like a treat now and then. I saw the aitkins choc decadence and other bars out there. Are they really ok for keto (I tried one and it tasted suspiciously sweet, nice but sweet) ?

Replies

• RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    IMO...I have decided to use them sparingly and opt for more natural ingredients/recipes, just as an overall effort to be healthier. However with that said, lifestyle changes come in baby steps and any change is significant. Look at added sugar, carbs, fiber, etc. Careful with the sugar alcohols though..they can wreak havoc on your GI system (personal experience) 😜
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    They make me gain weight. I don't restrict calories and eat until I am satisfied, and those screw the whole system up. When I eat them, not only do they have calories, but my body seems to think it was robbed of calories and demands even more in other meals. It can really mess me up. I have a graph somewhere where I went a month including them in my diet (along with other artificial sweeteners) and it completely derailed my progress. That is on top of the gastric issues they cause me.

They are technically "ok." If you are going to eat them, I would count the sugar-alcohols as 1/2 of the carbs they are listed as. They are mostly maltitol which does have a blood sugar effect. It is just a smaller effect than the same amount of normal sugar. Cutting it in half, not completely subtracting it or counting all of it, is the most logical way to deal with that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    They’re candy bars. Treat them as such.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Yep great replies what I suspected. I’m really in this for appetite control and hormones so suspicious they may increase blood glucose and I think realise likely something artificial isn’t going to be great.

What do you all eat for breakfast ? I can’t stomach anything savoury (I have v early starts).

Thanks for replying!!
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    They make me gain weight. I don't restrict calories and eat until I am satisfied, and those screw the whole system up. When I eat them, not only do they have calories, but my body seems to think it was robbed of calories and demands even more in other meals. It can really mess me up. I have a graph somewhere where I went a month including them in my diet (along with other artificial sweeteners) and it completely derailed my progress. That is on top of the gastric issues they cause me.

They are technically "ok." If you are going to eat them, I would count the sugar-alcohols as 1/2 of the carbs they are listed as. They are mostly maltitol which does have a blood sugar effect. It is just a smaller effect than the same amount of normal sugar. Cutting it in half, not completely subtracting it or counting all of it, is the most logical way to deal with that.

Yes logical. I think I will have them now and then as trying to stick to this and realistically it will happen at some point. I’m very into dark choc too so may just stick with 85%.

Do you guys test for ketones?
  • RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate has been my go to when the craving hits. But I agree, life happens and its a better choice that choosing a high carb/high sugar treat.

I am currently testing my ketones with a ketone meter. I know there is mixed emotions about it in the keto world but it offers me support until fully fat adapted. Testing supplies are pricey though.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am not a big breakfast eater. When I do, it's usually savory stuff like leftover steak and cheese.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    "safe" appears to fall in the "YMMV & personal macro tracking" category. i enjoy the think thin high protein bars and use them if i need a boost to calories or protein for the day (or just want a treat/something to snack on). i don't _think_ i have seen any negative impact; but i have heard of it in others (both in this thread and elsewhere).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think safety in those bars us mainly an issue for those who are having BG issues. If T2D is an issue for you, I would test before and after eating those bars to see how it affects you.

I've always skipped the bars and kept a few nuts or pepperonis in my bag if I suspected I would need a snack. The longer I ate Keto, the less likely a food emergency would happen. Now if I am without food for 6 to 12 hours, it's not a big deal.

For breakfast, I usually have coffee with cream and a bit of protein powder. I eat lunch between noon and three.

I used to test for ketones - it was fun. ;) I don't bother with urine strips anymor. Now that I am Keto adapted and well hydrated, my ketostix usually show trace or no ketones, even when my carb intake for the day was less than 5g. Lol
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few "low carb" or sugar free treats over the years & they all effected my blood sugars & threw me right out of ketosis. I recently found ones called Built Bars that don't effect either and are so good! they are soft & sort of like a marshmellowy nougat type bar,similar to a Mars bar.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    They effect me the same way as other candy bars. If I have one, I want more so I stay away from them.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    kristafb wrote: »
    I've tried a few "low carb" or sugar free treats over the years & they all effected my blood sugars & threw me right out of ketosis. I recently found ones called Built Bars that don't effect either and are so good! they are soft & sort of like a marshmellowy nougat type bar,similar to a Mars bar.

I agree Built bars are tasty. I'd say more like a chocolate covered marshmallow Easter egg than a Mars. They don't seem to fill me up so maybe more if a snack than meal replacement. I've only seen them online.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

I agree Built bars are tasty. I'd say more like a chocolate covered marshmallow Easter egg than a Mars. They don't seem to fill me up so maybe more if a snack than meal replacement. I've only seen them online.

I had never heard of these but just ordered the 6-bar sample pack. Thanks for the rec!
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    They effect me the same way as other candy bars. If I have one, I want more so I stay away from them.
    bametels wrote: »

Me too although the aitkins chocolate decadence doesn’t do this to me- all the other ones do though. Thanks for sharing that though as nice to know I’m not alone as I could never understand people who would have one biscuit them feel satiated I would be like “I’d rather not have the biscuit as all it would do is make me tired and crave more” whereas friends etc need that just that one and then they’re happy.
    Options

Ooo thank you for sharing I’m on the U.K. so not sure if I can get here but will endeavour to find out.
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think safety in those bars us mainly an issue for those who are having BG issues. If T2D is an issue for you, I would test before and after eating those bars to see how it affects you.

I've always skipped the bars and kept a few nuts or pepperonis in my bag if I suspected I would need a snack. The longer I ate Keto, the less likely a food emergency would happen. Now if I am without food for 6 to 12 hours, it's not a big deal.

For breakfast, I usually have coffee with cream and a bit of protein powder. I eat lunch between noon and three.

I used to test for ketones - it was fun. ;) I don't bother with urine strips anymor. Now that I am Keto adapted and well hydrated, my ketostix usually show trace or no ketones, even when my carb intake for the day was less than 5g. Lol

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Have you really ever kept carbs below 5g (!!) I think I can relate to seeing ketosticks as good fun 😀

I do now and then just fancy chocolate or some kind do sweet treat that nuts just don’t crack (sorry had to use that). It sounds like you reallly have it sussed! I’m in awe.

Can I ask what other benefits you have seen since being in ketosis? Another random q!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Have you really ever kept carbs below 5g (!!) I think I can relate to seeing ketosticks as good fun 😀

I do now and then just fancy chocolate or some kind do sweet treat that nuts just don’t crack (sorry had to use that). It sounds like you reallly have it sussed! I’m in awe.

Can I ask what other benefits you have seen since being in ketosis? Another random q!

I'm following a mostly carnivorous diet, although over the holidays I let that slide. :blush: there are trace carbs in animal products, like meat, eggs and whipping cream. Those are often my only carbs. Most ketoers prefer to include plants in their diet, and do very well with them. ;) I don't feel as well eating more than trace carbs so I try to stick with animal products. I'd eat more if I did because carbs are tasty, and I think fruit and veggies can be healthful.

I'm one of those for whom ketosis seems ideally suited. I don't think many experience as many benefits as me, but I've had autoimmune problems since childhood and was developing insulin resistance by my 20s (in hindsight) so I think that affected my experiences.

My benefits included:
    • Easier weight loss - my appetite is driven by carbs, and so is my cravings. When I eat Keto, I seem to naturally end up in a small calorie deficit. I also seem to start losing at a higher calorie intake. I can slowly lose weight at 1800-2000 kcal when Keto whereas if that was higher carb I would maintain or even gain a bit.
    • Less arthritis pain - the lower carb I go the less my joints hurt. At almost zero carb I can play some basketball and maybe get a minor hip ache. At higher carb, like right now after holiday foods, I wake up with sore hips, limp, and my knees almost feel like there is a mild burning in them.
    • Better BG control - I was prediabetic, but now my numbers are usually great, perhaps a bit higher in the morning than I'd like but that's not from food. I has reactive hypoglycaemia by my late 20s so an hour or two after eating I got a headache, felt tired and cranky, my low BP would bother me more and I would visibly shake. I had to eat every two hours. Now? That never happens. And I can skip eating for hours and hours - freedom!
    • I had postural hypotension so my BP drops when I got up. I would get tunnel vision and close to fainting a few times a day. No more.
    • Better hair and skin - very few pimples anymore, and I was getting them like a teenager. My hair was thinning due to AI issues and it thickened up a bit going Keto and carnivore. It isn't thick, but it's better.
    • Better AI control - I get fewer AI flare ups: fewer mouth sores, arthritis, inflammation, fatigue, etc.
    • Better energy, but I think that is from steadier BG.
    • Cognitive improvements - I knew I was not quite as sharp as I was in my 20s, but I noticed a fairly good cognitive improvement within about two months of going Keto. Enough that even my husband noticed. It's a bit scary to realize that I was starting down the path to cognitive decline, especially since I was only in my very early 40s.
    • BM improvements - I tended to have problems with C (possibly due in part to being an undiagnosed celiac for a log time) but when I went Keto it normalized. I actually looked up what normal was because I was worried it was D and was not used to having no bathroom issues. :D

I'm a Keto poster girl. ;) it makes it pretty easy and reasonable for me to stay Keto. Going high carb is not worth it for me. YMMV
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @juststartedrunningagain i don't know if you are looking for general benefits or specifically from @nvmomketo (if the latter, apologies) but for me the biggest benefit is that i no longer need 2+ Monster® drinks to get through the day. i also don't feel myself falling asleep at work or on the way home. while i miss the _taste_ of the drinks, i don't mind no longer being the poster child for 5-hour energy® commercials.
    i recently discovered, as well, that my heartburn/GERD is resolved (found out when i went waaaaay over carbs during Christmas).
    Options
    Fantastic the question would apply to all thanks such encouragement! My motivation comes from hormonal issues (primarily) and tired during the day, I also have high dementia risk so cognitive effects useful. I also emotionally eat on carbs. I think one can do lots of research but there is nothing really valuable than info from those who have actually done it.
    Options
    Ps I’m also in my 40s... noticing a mental slowdown (prior to keto)