Anyone else?

Options
jan4jesus2
jan4jesus2 Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
I cannot imagine I am alone and setting this goal for myself. Would love to hear from other folks in the same situation so please feel free to chime in! Today is a new day and my journey to health and so far I’ve only had breakfast and it went well. But, the rest of the day is yet to come. The question I’m having is do I try to just simply exercise self-control or should I go through my cabinets and the secret stashes and grab everything and get rid of it so as to avoid temptation. What would you do?

Replies

• KaeChelleA
    KaeChelleA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question. I'd probably get rid of things that are temptations for me because I have trouble with self-control. I can't just eat one of something sweet in particular! However, if you can manage to control yourself and only eat 1 serving of tempting foods, and they fit in your calorie goal, there's nothing wrong with keeping them.
  • jan4jesus2
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I do have trouble with self-discipline so probably need to get rid of it.
  • kpresto86
    kpresto86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to find this group!! I was beginning to feel alone looking at all the groups posting that they had 10-20 pounds to lose. While we can definitely encourage one another, I was feeling super intimidated by how much I have to lose to become healthy again. But I am committed, and it will happen!!
  • jan4jesus2
    Options
    Yay kpresto86! What a great attitude! I feel the same way. Got on the scale today and saw the # 276 and freaked out. I knew I had gained a LOT but had purposely avoided the scale. Now the ugly truth is staring me right in the face and I have 2 choices...do something or do nothing. I am opting for the former because I've been doing the latter for too long. Good for you, though! "it will happen"...great motto to maintain. Keep in touch!
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I posted in the original thread. I am nearing my goal weight after 2 years and 110 lbs lost. I hope you dont mind me joining as a motivator and also to help encourage or answer questions about my journey to help othera along who are trying to accomplish the same thing. If I can do it, you can too!
  • jan4jesus2
    Options
    Bison pitcher, I don’t mind at all. Please feel free to share any tips or advice with us along along our journeys. I’m sure we’d all be quite grateful. In fact, maybe you could post one helpful tip every week or however often you want to. I would love to know for example, how did you handle when you started the food you might’ve already had in your house. Did you get rid of everything you knew would be tempting or unhealthy?
  • RoxyWhoShrinkyDink
    RoxyWhoShrinkyDink Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was doing well with my weight loss, but then Hurricane Michael happened (I live in Panama City, Florida). For some time after the storm I had zero choice in what I ate. I was eating red cross meals and MREs and stuff like that, with zero choices. Then the stores opened up again, but it was hard to find much that wasn't junk because by the time we got through the long lines to get into the stores that days supply of fresh meats and vegetables was gone. I started adding stress eating junk food to the meals from volunteers and MREs. It was like that for weeks after the storm. Once I had a little choice back I let myself say well, it's holiday time anyway. I even went back to drinking tons of soda, and not even diet. I have dug out a scale and finally weighed myself this morning. I have gained nearly 40 pounds since my last weigh in before the storm. That is insanely ridiculous. I am a single mom with an autistic son and he needs me. I can't die, so I have to do this. It is going to be difficult. We still have debris in the roads that prevents safely going for a walk, my home still only has half the rooms usable so there isn't much space for me to exercise indoors, there are no gyms open near me even if I could get away from my son to go to one, and our grocery stores are still running strange hours. However, the stores do have normal groceries back and hulu has some workout stuff on it. I am 110 pounds above my goal weight. It is a lot and it will be hard, I can use all the support and motivation I can get.
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have to git rid of it. If it's there at some point im giving in
  • bisonpitcher
    Options
    jan4jesus2 wrote: »
    Bison pitcher, I don’t mind at all. Please feel free to share any tips or advice with us along along our journeys. I’m sure we’d all be quite grateful. In fact, maybe you could post one helpful tip every week or however often you want to. I would love to know for example, how did you handle when you started the food you might’ve already had in your house. Did you get rid of everything you knew would be tempting or unhealthy?
    I never cut out any food. Just ate it in moderation. I still eat ice cream, pizza, Mexican on more than a weekly basis. I knew I couldnt restrict foods i love and be successful. I just make them fit into my calorie goals. I eat more healthy foods, but still eat everything in moderation. My diary is open, so feel free to check it out.
  • kpresto86
    kpresto86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's awesome I'm glad you can still fit the yummy stuff in, I tease my husband that carbs are my true soul mate lol I have really struggled with not having as many carbs as I'm used to
  • bisonpitcher
    Options
    kpresto86 wrote: »
    That's awesome I'm glad you can still fit the yummy stuff in, I tease my husband that carbs are my true soul mate lol I have really struggled with not having as many carbs as I'm used to

I love the carbs! When I have a day where I go way over my goal....its almost always a big carb day (like 300-500g). Cant wait until I get to bulking phase where I can do 300+ carbs per day, every day.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm also getting rid of all the sweets, chips etc. My snacking just got completely out of hand recently.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a clean sweep of my house and get rid of everything, but I stopped buying junk. Fortunately I have 2 kids that are helping get rid of the snacky foods that I shouldn't be eating!
  • kieran230
    kieran230 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I thought about this long and hard. I’ve left the junk in the fridge & cupboards. My reasoning is to loose 70-100lbs is not going to happen overnight, the same way as I didn’t put it on overnight. So now it’s down to a lifestyle choice because over the coming year there will be many moments of temptation. So by having them in plain sight it will reaffirm on a daily basis that I have a choice will it be the blueberries or chocolate beside it. I’ve no doubt there will be days I’ll choose the chocolate but over the course of the year the berries will be picked more often. I believe the odd cheat day will actually be beneficial as a reward for the hard work being put in. It will also focus my mind to make the other 6 days of the week count more.
  • momm90112
    momm90112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey since 7 January of this year and before I began, I went through the fridge and cupboards and got rid of as many "less" healthy things as I could and restocked with healthier things as a way to set myself up for success. The odd treat still makes its way into the house for my family to enjoy and once in a while I will have a little treat myself but having mostly healthier food around forces us all to eat a little healthier and that's a good thing! :)