Another "I am brand new" question

Options
kabamalam
kabamalam Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
Hello I am starting the keto plan and i find the macros very intimidating...plus i am absolute carb (potatoes) addict, which leaves me bloated, overweight, feeling crappy, so here i am.

Anyway - I did a calculator and this is what it said:

1350kcal Daily Calorie Intake, 29% deficit.
25g Carbs (7%, 100 kcal)
88g Protein (26%, 352 kcal)
100g Fat (67%, 898 kcal)

Some people say my deficit is too big. I am female, 37 years old, currently 185lb and i'm 5ft 7. I want to reach a healthier weight, the standard calories for a lady is 2000, i want to lose 1-2 lb (more like 1.5) MAX, so that is 3500 x 2... so 1350 is on target... right?

Right? Or am i making a mistake? Please, any advice, plus friends adds would be wonderful. I am in China, I don't have a lot of the fancy keto helpful products here, and I am allergic to almonds, so no almond flour for me. I am going in a bit blind.

I am talking too much now...

Happy new year all!

Replies

• kabamalam
    Options
    How about this -

37/F/5'7" | CW 186 | 41% BF | Lightly active

* 1500 kcal Goal, a 22% deficit. (722 min, 1914 max)
    * 25g Carbohydrates
    * 88g Protein (66g min, 109g max)
    * 116g Fat (30g min, 162g max)

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    That should be better. The weight didn't come on in a few months, it will take some time to come off. I usually find that I out-perform the calorie predictions anyway.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion would be to bump protein a bit and reduce fat as the offset then reevaluate your progress monthly if you find yourself constantly hungry. Like fit_goat said the weight didn't come in a few months so it takes time to come off.

A format that worked really well for me in dropping 55 pounds in 8 months was to stop looking at daily totals on calories and fat etc and instead look at it by week - 2600 calories a day/18,200 calories a week. I did monitor protein on workout days and carbs due to diabetes by meal. For example: One day I'm not hungry and eat 1600 out of my 2600 calories. The next day I'm at the bar and put down 3600 calories in wings and bar food. Still averages 2600 over 2 days.
  • RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Based on the consensus of my reasearch..a 30% deficit is the max but extreme. Which means most will be unable to maintain, which is ultimately part of all of our goals (to adopt the keto lifestyle). I find calorie/macro cycling is effective vs extreme calorie deficits. Ex: my macros are 70/20/10. But 1-2xs a week I aim for 75/20/5. For now this keeps me losing steadily. My best advice listen to your hunger cues (not craving curs but hunger cues) and you will be successful. Good luck! We are all here if ya need us 🤗
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Put your protein grams higher than fat. You want your body to burn the fat it has, not just what you put in. Protein is goal, fat is to help keep you satiated.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    CarolynRSB wrote: »
    Put your protein grams higher than fat. You want your body to burn the fat it has, not just what you put in. Protein is goal, fat is to help keep you satiated.

I am a super-fan of protein and have a personal goal of 180-200 grams a day. But, protein doesn't need to be higher than fat to burn fat. I think there is a wide-variation between what works for fat/protein ratios and people should find what they are comfortable with. There's no reason she won't be successful with the current macros she has picked.
  • kabamalam
    Options
    My boyfriend says I should have lower fat allowances as I already have a fair amount of body fat for my body to burn. I should focus more on proteins with low carb veggies.

I’m confused, is that what I should focus on more?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Protein should be a minimum if you overshoot it that is fine. You can set it to 88 grams but nothing stops you from eating 150 grams instead. Just don't eat less.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me.

carbs I consider a max value - not to be exceeded
    protein I consider a min value - eat at least this much, and eating more is totally cool
    fat I don't really pay that much attention to at all

calories - sometimes I pay attention to this. Right now I am not focused on calories, so I do track my food but if I go over then I don't worry about it...going over would be protein anyway which I'm always ok with going over.

I think I have my calorie goal set to 1776 right now, and that's a 20% deficit for me and I would say I'm over more days than I'm under, but I do have some under days.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I am a super-fan of protein and have a personal goal of 180-200 grams a day. But, protein doesn't need to be higher than fat to burn fat. I think there is a wide-variation between what works for fat/protein ratios and people should find what they are comfortable with. There's no reason she won't be successful with the current macros she has picked.

Just adding that the whole reason we are champions of protein can be chalked up to human physiology. As you lose weight, some of that is going to be cannibalized lean muscle, no matter what diet you choose. We want to prioritize keeping as much as possible to stay healthier humans. So eat enough to maintain more lean muscle mass, which will continue to serve your health long term.

I usually say:
    1. Don't go over your carb limit.
    2. Eat enough protein.
    3. Fill the rest with fat.

Telling someone to not eat as much fat helps them keep their protein higher, but also keeps energy intake down. If we eat too much, we won't lose. Meeting the 1st two criteria also helps with that for those who do not count calories. It also prioritizes micronutrients we need from the protein and veggies (for those who eat them :wink: )

Don't get me wrong. Fat is super important. We need it. But protein is more important. Ketosis is from lack of carbs for long enough, not the amount of fat we consume. As Goat said, the exact perfect number for you is going to be personal and discovered by trial and error. Some of us need more protein than the minimum to preserve muscle and some do just fine at that muscle preservation minimum.

When I was keto, I discovered I needed more protein. I do a lot of strength training, and I just did better overall with a little bit more. My macro split usually looked like 60-63% fat, 27-30% protein, 10 % carbs. But I know folks who did absolutely great with just the minimum.
  • RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Just adding that the whole reason we are champions of protein can be chalked up to human physiology. As you lose weight, some of that is going to be cannibalized lean muscle, no matter what diet you choose. We want to prioritize keeping as much as possible to stay healthier humans. So eat enough to maintain more lean muscle mass, which will continue to serve your health long term.

I usually say:
    2. Eat enough protein.

Telling someone to not eat as much fat helps them keep their protein higher, but also keeps energy intake down. If we eat too much, we won't lose. Meeting the 1st two criteria also helps with that for those who do not count calories. It also prioritizes micronutrients we need from the protein and veggies (for those who eat them :wink: )

Don't get me wrong. Fat is super important. We need it. But protein is more important. Ketosis is from lack of carbs for long enough, not the amount of fat we consume. As Goat said, the exact perfect number for you is going to be personal and discovered by trial and error. Some of us need more protein than the minimum to preserve muscle and some do just fine at that muscle preservation minimum.

When I was keto, I discovered I needed more protein. I do a lot of strength training, and I just did better overall with a little bit more. My macro split usually looked like 60-63% fat, 27-30% protein, 10 % carbs. But I know folks who did absolutely great with just the minimum.

I agree with three points you've mentioned. However, some have the opinion that too much protein could counter act ketosis and your metabolism could switch to utilizing excess protein as primary source of energy vs fat as the primary source. Guess everyone will have a different opinion.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hoping this can help ease some of the concerns on eating too much protein: I eat 200+ grams of protein on average a day and 55 pounds and 8 months later I can safely say: Carb is a limit, fat to satiety and protein till maxed out while controlling calorie intake levels. My ketone levels went up when I increased protein and my blood sugar went down.

(Search for some of my former post on protecting lean body mass with the title "Body Scans" for more info on why protein is important).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Your macros and calories are about where I started (I am about an inch taller and was about 5 lbs heavier). At 1500 kcal, I was losing at least 2 lbs a week until I got closer to goal.

I do wish I'd gone a bit higher in protein though. I think a good place to start is to go for maintenance level of protein, so if at maintenance you think 100g would best, consider using that level or more while losing.

RNW14 wrote: »

I usually say:
    2. Eat enough protein.

I agree with three points you've mentioned. However, some have the opinion that too much protein could counter act ketosis and your metabolism could switch to utilizing excess protein as primary source of energy vs fat as the primary source. Guess everyone will have a different opinion.

Protein does not often affect ketosis unless one eats a LOT of protein, often over 200+ g. At very high levels of protein, some protein will end up being used for energy, possibly because there is not enough fat or carbs to use. ;)

I think lower ketones is not a problem for most people. Unless you need high ketones for a medical reason, a slight dip, if it happens, should not be a problem. It may be prerable to more lean tissue loss during weight loss. :) ymmv

Some with t2D find protein will affect their BG some. Testing after meals will show you if that is a problem for you. TBH, I eat some protein early in the day to help bring down my morning BG, which is usually my highest reading of the day due to dawn phenomenon.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Your macros and calories are about where I started (I am about an inch taller and was about 5 lbs heavier). At 1500 kcal, I was losing at least 2 lbs a week until I got closer to goal.

I do wish I'd gone a bit higher in protein though. I think a good place to start is to go for maintenance level of protein, so if at maintenance you think 100g would best, consider using that level or more while losing.

RNW14 wrote: »

I usually say:
    2. Eat enough protein.

Protein does not often affect ketosis unless one eats a LOT of protein, often over 200+ g. At very high levels of protein, some protein will end up being used for energy, possibly because there is not enough fat or carbs to use. ;)

I think lower ketones is not a problem for most people. Unless you need high ketones for a medical reason, a slight dip, if it happens, should not be a problem. It may be prerable to more lean tissue loss during weight loss. :) ymmv

Some with t2D find protein will affect their BG some. Testing after meals will show you if that is a problem for you. TBH, I eat some protein early in the day to help bring down my morning BG, which is usually my highest reading of the day due to dawn phenomenon.

Yup.
    Keto-folk are always using gluconeogenesis. It's demand-driven. Some body tissues can only run on glucose. I wish I could find the study where they ate a big bunch of protein and then measured the glucose generated. It was like 2g. I'll keep looking.

Here's an exhaustive article on protein and gluconeogenesis if anyone feels like spending a few minutes on nerding-out.
    https://perfectketo.com/gluconeogenesis/

But yeah, all bets seem to be off once you throw diabetes in the mix. The system behaves differently, particularly for many T1s, but also some sensitive T2s. But that makes sense as even difference carb sources affect individuals differently. I learned this well during my last pregnancy. My mom was a T2, and I had gestational diabetes. What would make my BG go nuts, hers would handle fine. The human body is a complex thing.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    kabamalam wrote: »
    Hello I am starting the keto plan and i find the macros very intimidating...plus i am absolute carb (potatoes) addict, which leaves me bloated, overweight, feeling crappy, so here i am.

Anyway - I did a calculator and this is what it said:

1350kcal Daily Calorie Intake, 29% deficit.
    25g Carbs (7%, 100 kcal)
    88g Protein (26%, 352 kcal)
    100g Fat (67%, 898 kcal)

Some people say my deficit is too big. I am female, 37 years old, currently 185lb and i'm 5ft 7. I want to reach a healthier weight, the standard calories for a lady is 2000, i want to lose 1-2 lb (more like 1.5) MAX, so that is 3500 x 2... so 1350 is on target... right?

Right? Or am i making a mistake? Please, any advice, plus friends adds would be wonderful. I am in China, I don't have a lot of the fancy keto helpful products here, and I am allergic to almonds, so no almond flour for me. I am going in a bit blind.

I am talking too much now...

Happy new year all!

I'm picking up on your living in China comment, I used to live there (Shanghai) and Keto shouldn't be a problem as you have access to plenty meats, eggs and fresh leafy vegetables. Also cream and butter these days! No one actually needs fancy keto products.

Eat proper natural food and as others have said, watch your carbs, keep up your protein and initially a higher amount of fat helps as it keeps you from feeling hungry and helps with your body's adaption to becoming a fat burner rather than a sugar (carb) burner. Initially ignore the calories IMO. Once you are on your way you may find you stop loosing in which case decrease the fats as yes indeed, your body will use your stored fats! Also keep up your salts when you are starting out to avoid any keto flu symptoms. Good luck!
  • kabamalam
    Options
    [/quote]I'm picking up on your living in China comment, I used to live there (Shanghai) and Keto shouldn't be a problem as you have access to plenty meats, eggs and fresh leafy vegetables. Also cream and butter these days! No one actually needs fancy keto products.

Eat proper natural food and as others have said, watch your carbs, keep up your protein and initially a higher amount of fat helps as it keeps you from feeling hungry and helps with your body's adaption to becoming a fat burner rather than a sugar (carb) burner. Initially ignore the calories IMO. Once you are on your way you may find you stop loosing in which case decrease the fats as yes indeed, your body will use your stored fats! Also keep up your salts when you are starting out to avoid any keto flu symptoms. Good luck![/quote]

Hey! Yes I’m in Shanghai too!
  • kabamalam
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice, I made some adjustments and let's see how i do over the next couple of weeks. I do struggle to eat my calories mind, i am pretty much always under.

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @kabamalam where about? we were in Puxi in the old French Concession. Loved some of the restaurants there which didn't do my weight that much good it has to be said! Is Lost Heaven still amazing, we loved it there.
  • kabamalam
    Options
    @kabamalam where about? we were in Puxi in the old French Concession. Loved some of the restaurants there which didn't do my weight that much good it has to be said! Is Lost Heaven still amazing, we loved it there.

That’s exactly where I am, French concession, and lost heaven is AMAZING. I have been here seven years.