Question on IF

Options
Does your coffee count? I'm at 80 calories with two cups with half and half and SF vanilla. Then I wait till after 10 to start eating, finish dinner by 6pm.

Replies

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you don't add sugars/ syrups and use heavy cream, your coffee won't count.
    (Some ppl say syrups are ok, but they can spike your insulin which would end your fast. Fats do not spike insulin, so they're fine)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    That kind of depends on why you are doing IF.

If you are doing it to control consumption and you don't find that having coffee triggers any cravings, then rock on and have your coffee.

If you are doing it for blood glucose control then the generally accepted amount of calories you can eat is like 50-100 depending on who you ask, or as previously mentioned anything zero carb is generally accepted as safe.

If you are doing it for autophagy, no one seems to really know, but it is generally recommended to eat nothing with calories or carbs.

And if all of that is confusing, just ignore it and have your coffee...but I'm totally a fan of coffee so the odds that I would ever discourage someone from drinking coffee are fairly small.
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had the same concerns with adding creamer to my coffee in the morning. I'm doing 16:8 IF. Originally I was using regular half & half, but then I read somewhere that to stay in the fast, you can't consume more than 50 or so calories, so I switched to fat free half and half for the low calories. Then it adds a small amount of carbs. Which is better - low calorie to stay in the fast, or use of heavy cream for Keto? CANNOT do black coffee, I cut out sweeteners which was a big step for me and just use a little cinnamon.
  • RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    From my understanding you should only add pure fat sources to your coffee..coconut oil, butter, ghee, etc. But I think a true fast is no calorie source.
  • Luannelizabeth
    Luannelizabeth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lucy17128 wrote: »
    I've had the same concerns with adding creamer to my coffee in the morning. I'm doing 16:8 IF. Originally I was using regular half & half, but then I read somewhere that to stay in the fast, you can't consume more than 50 or so calories, so I switched to fat free half and half for the low calories. Then it adds a small amount of carbs. Which is better - low calorie to stay in the fast, or use of heavy cream for Keto? CANNOT do black coffee, I cut out sweeteners which was a big step for me and just use a little cinnamon.

Definitely go for the whipped cream. Fat free half and half is NOT keto and it's made of corn syrup solids. Stop counting calories and find ways to ADD fat to your diet!