Just diagnosed...

Options
PeteKy
PeteKy Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone. I'm new to this group and newly diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic. My doc says I'm in the "borderline" area with an A1C at 6.4, but am almost 57 years old and have a family history so we are keeping a close eye on it. The weird thing is my blood sugar became elevated sometime between my last two physicals in early 2016 and last month. During that period I lost over 30 pounds, got my BMI within normal range (around 24), and had begun going to the gym. I never felt better. So this hit me like a ton of bricks.

One thing I have come to realize while discussing this with my doc, is that while I have been eating LESS, I have not been eating healthier. I've been on several fad diets and finally settled into my own routine of eating very little during the day and loading up at dinner time with unhealthy food. I love craft beers and pub food, if that gives you an idea. No doubt my body has been freaking out going between starvation and fat-storing mode. I'll bet my blood sugar was all over the place.

So together with my doc, I've worked out a plan. For the next 4 months I'm going to eat right and get more exercise. My gym visits have been much less frequent of late, so I'm committing to 3 workouts a week plus my normal 12-15K steps a day including at least one 30 minute walk.

As for diet, here's what I am going with. Keep my calorie intake where it is at around 2,100 a day. That has allowed me to maintain my current weight of 178. Limit red meats to 2 servings a week, eat more fish and poultry, severely restrict the alcohol to 2-3 beers a week, severely restrict simple carbs / sugars and more whole grains, and eat a lot more low-GI vegetables such as green leafy and legumes. Potatoes are off the table, especially French fries.

I have a FU appointment with my doc in November and I'm hoping I can get back in the normal range without resorting to meds. I know my situation is not that bad currently but I don't want to wind up going through what my father did.

Replies

• irisgal1
    irisgal1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed as pre-diabetic or possibly type 2. A1C was 6.7 at the Drs office. and 6.4 in the hospital last week. Dr is checking it again end of September. It's prompted me to come back to MFP and really track my foods again.
  • kymmit
    kymmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's a club no one wants to join. I knew it was coming, as I had gestational diabetes, and then 8-10 years later my random blood draws during my physicals kept climbing higher. Was officially diagnosed a little over 2 years ago (A1C was 7.2). I switched to a moderate carb diet (targeting < 120/day) and added interval cardio exercise (family history of heart disease). My follow up A1Cs have all been in the 5.2 - 5.5 range, and my fasting sugars are now at a good level.

While I made these changes, I didn't lose any weight (and I'm in the obese BMI range). At my last physical I got the clearance to move towards intermittent fasting (I fast for a 16 hour period and eat during an 8 hour period). I'm trying to separate my food mindset to be managing blood sugar, and my fasting mindset to weight loss. That way if I don't see results and I get frustrated, I won't start eating foods that don't work with my blood sugar. So far I've been able to restrict my overall calories more, and am somehow not hungry (I eat 2 meals, but without snacks - snacking has always been a downfall of mine)

One day at a time.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i guess I'm sort of in this club. my a1c was 9.2 when it eas tested three weeks ago. my doc gave me three months to bring it below 6.5 or i go on meds.....
    I'm Workin on it with diet and exercise, but Wondering if there's something more i can do to lower my blood sugar numbers... i test daily and they're in the 200 - 300 range consistently.
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    To bratty worm : Are these fasting blood sugars?
  • scubatroll
    scubatroll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs on my Keto diet and was able to get off all my blood sugar meds ( 4 metforman and 4 glipizides a day). My blood sugar averaged around 115-140 range
    However I went off Keto a couple weeks ago and immediately put on 5 lbs and saw my blood sugars soar back to 170-220 ranges without meds.
    So I’m going back on Keto hardcore along with intermittent fasting starting today.
    This seems to be the only I can avoid having to take meds for my type 2.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    brattyworm wrote: »
    i guess I'm sort of in this club. my a1c was 9.2 when it eas tested three weeks ago. my doc gave me three months to bring it below 6.5 or i go on meds.....
    I'm Workin on it with diet and exercise, but Wondering if there's something more i can do to lower my blood sugar numbers... i test daily and they're in the 200 - 300 range consistently.

I went thru a similar thing in June and found my body just didn’t tolerate carbs well. I went Keto at 20 grams of Carbs per day and my blood sugar came down quickly. Every time I cheat on carbs my blood sugar spikes so for past 2 months I’ve been dedicated to Keto and got my 30 day average down to 91 mg/dl.