Cholesterol

Options
kabamalam
kabamalam Posts: 22 Member
Ok so I admit I went a bit over the top with pork belly yesterday, but every day I seem to go over my cholesterol. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Also I cannot eat my calorie target, I’m too full!

Replies

• RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Due to the nature of the diet..you will encounter slight increases in cholesterol intake. But you want to make sure you are aiming towards plant based fats and foods high in poly/monosaturated fats. The goal is to increase HDL levels to decrease the LDL-HDL ratio. Hope this helps!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If you are not hitting your calories, I wouldn't worry unless it is really low and goes on for a long while. Following hunger means some days are Spartan and others will be feasts. My calories tend to swing between 1000 and 3000 kcal lately. ;). Enjoy it while it lasts.

Cholesterol in foods has basically no effect on blood plasma cholesterol levels unless you have familial hypercholerolemia. The body makes over 80% of the cholesterol your body needs so if you eat a bit more, it makes less, and vice versa.

You can ignore cholesterol, or not include it in your diary, if you wish to change your settings.

Saturated fats appear to be very benign when it comes to health. It doesn't seem to promote good health, but it also does not lead to health problems (unless pairing it with lots of sugar, which is a hyperpalatable perfect storm for weight gain and metabolic issues for most people).

I don't agree that one should aim to get plant based polyunsaturated fats. The only polyunsaturated fats that appear to really help health is those from fish. Refined seed oils do not seem to have the same health benefits, especially if cooked at higher heat.

Plant oils do tend to improve a lipid profile, but ironically it does not reduce CAD or CVD risk or mortality, and it is associated with an increased risk of mortality for other health issues, I believe.

But I am quite biased and have slowly come to eat what is basically a carnivorous diet, ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No need to be concerned about cholesterol in food.
  • Wifett3
    Wifett3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My bloodwork last month came back with high cholesterol, but awesome numbers otherwise. Doc said to cut back on saturated fats... I’ve kinda ignored that advice, which is very unlike me! Found a few legit published sources saying it’s not necessarily indicative of bad health (iirc the triglyceride/HDL ratio was a better indicator?) Plus sometimes weight loss can increase cholesterol. I figure I’d have more accurate numbers once I’m like a half year into maintenance... so like a year or two away from a clearer picture?
  • markdvsmo
    markdvsmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Personally, I believe that the benefits of getting down to a healthy weight offset the controversial cholesterol numbers.