How to Eat a Little Less Fat on LC?

Options
Hi! Does anyone have any insights into eating a little less fat while on LC or Keto? This seems nearly impossible ... I’m actually not opposed to fats and believe that our bodies need the good ones. But these diets do tend to lend themselves to a lifestyle high in the bad saturated fats. Any helpful advice?

Replies

• nikiready
    nikiready Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am more low carb than keto.
    For me I dont add unnecessary fat. So i rarely use things like bullet proof coffee. If i the food has fat in it, fine.. So I am cooking my chicken with the skin on, having my regulars bacon but cooking it in the oven with no added fat, full fat cream ever so often and full fat cheese when i am craving it but when I am preparing my meals I limit the amount of fats I add. I use maybe a tablespoon of coconut oil or Olive oil or butter, no more. And I go with my appetite. Some days I am not as hungry so I will choose boiled eggs instead of scrambled. I don't always fry every thing. I grill, boil or steam my vegetables then toss in some healthy oil. Have a slice of avocado with salt and pepper not drizzled with oil.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would just choose leaner cuts of meat and a less fats in your cooking. A can of tuna at lunch instead of red meats, etc.

But I'm not someone who believe that saturated fats in and of themselves are bad. I haven't seen the evidence to support that old myth.

Now lots of saturated fats paired with lots of carbs, especially refined and processed carbs, is a recipe for metabolic disaster and weight gain, but in a low carb diet, saturated fats seem to be a good thing. :)
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think for some reason and not really sure where it came from to be honest. That people are assuming they should be eating lots and lots of fat while on LC or more frequently with Keto.

Why I find this interesting is I freely admit I love to cook, bake and so on. So I have been frequenting a number of internet sites and some of the bloggers that have tons of great recipes. All of which are big on Keto. And something every single one of them have been stating is that it is not a rule that someone has to eat all the fats that show up in their macro. Keto mama for example states if you are full after having 60 grams for the day. Then you are done for the day. You do not have to eat 100.

Plus the other one that made sense was the one stressing the Fat to stay away from was the Trans fat as that is the one that is most likely to cause issues and increase blood lipids. But the others are good for us in moderation.

I follow LC and most days my fats stay right around 50, and my carbs about the same. But if I have a week or two when I cut carbs to less than 45, I do increase my fat. And my protein stays around 85ish all the time.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    When I eat eggs, I make 4 and 2 of them are egg white only. I only cook with the minimal fat needed.
    I eat tuna without added fat but even if you add some mayo or whatever you don’t have to add much.
    Dinner tonight was shrimp and fish cooked in butter, but again, only what was required.
    I managed about 60g total fat and 150g protein even with 3 salami rolls with cream cheese today.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yep short answer is don't add extra fat to your food, especially if your on-board pantry has more than what you need for healthy storage....
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My focus is pretty much only on my total grams of carbohydrates and the rest sort of gets ignored. That's not completely true but it's the general high level view of how I eat. There's no macro for me to hit or magic number of grams of fat I'm trying to consume.

Therefore, like others have mentioned I'm not concerned with adding fat. I love LOVE me some beef fat, though. So I don't shy away from it, I just don't add it or try to hit some magical percentage or number. I would suggest you do what many people here have already stated and don't focus on adding it.

I do know folks that ingested way more fat than they intended by using BPC powders, processed meat sticks, etc so that's an easy one to reduce or eliminate too if you find yourself doing that.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest adding a low carb protein shake in daily. But, I'm in the boat that Saturated Fats aren't as bad for you as outdated research suggests. Remember the ratio of HDL to LDL is more important than the counts themselves. When ever I'm eating low carb and intaking more saturated fats my ratio jumps to the excellent category. I've gotten blood tests done every year for the last 10 years. Personal results are more relevant than poor research from the 40's, 50's and 60's. I focus on eating 30-40% protein, less than 12% carbs, and fat just falls into place. I'm lucky I have a doctor that supports low carb eating.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,501 Member
    Options
    I try to get enough protein, mostly through meat, eggs and some dairy, eat the fat that comes with the meat and limit my carbs.

I eat a lot of chicken thighs, both bone in and skin on and the reverse. I like my ground beef about 80% lean for burgers, 85-90% for things like meatballs, meatloaf and crumbles. My favorite steak is ribeye, but that's more occasional. My "everyday" steak is a top cap sirloin from Costco, which is much leaner. Chuck roast is fatty and also popular in the crockpot in my house. I eat bone in pork chops, Boston butt and also pork loin and tenderloin. I eat deli meat (usually roast beef with Creamy horseradish sauce) and homemade Tuna salad. I'll eat a variety of whitefish, but not often.

I eat hard boiled eggs (a dozen a week usually) but I also do fried eggs, or scrambles or omelets. I may or may not add egg whites.

Right now I am recovering from surgery and my activity level is low... So is my appetite, unfortunately.

My point however, is... I center my diet around meat and green/cruciferous vegetables mostly. Some of that meat is fatty, some is not. Mostly it's not super lean.