Is high fat necessary on keto?

Options
KrazyKrissyy
KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
Hello, I was on keto for my epilepsy. 65-75% of my calories were coming from fat. Unfortunately, I ended up gaining 40 pounds in over a year and have been taking a break for a week or so. At my lowest weight of 117 pounds (before starting keto) I was a high carb, low fat vegan/vegetarian. I'll admit, I miss it a lot. But I have to do keto because my seizures were really frequent (fortunately, they've decreased). The high fat keto diet just isn't satisfying to me. I'm always hungry, no matter how much fat, sodium, potassium, magnesium, electrolytes, etc, I get. Is it ok to lower fat and replace with more protein or would that cause issues?

Replies

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i would say you should probably talk to your doctor. i know in general it is ok to lower the fat and increase the protein, but not sure on the impact for your case. ... or you can always increase protein while leaving fat where it is and see how that goes (both for weight & satiation). but again, you should probably talk to your dr before making changes if keto was recommended to you for the seizure control
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,595 Member
    Options
    I know I am happier with higher protein, and I tend to be about ~50% F and ~50% P with net carbs in the single digits. I started the keto for control of blood glucose w/o meds, and people warned me that higher protein would increase glucose readings. An advantage with the glucose is that you have a meter and can check. It did not seem to impact mine. I never tested ketones. You could always try it to see how the seizures respond, but it makes sense to check with the doctor since he/she recommended the diet.

In my case, the doctor gave me the Diabetes Association diet which REALLY did not work for me. I found the keto on my own. He was astonished at the results I was getting, and said that it was so unusual to actually have a patient who followed dietary advice. I told him I was ignoring it and doing something else. I asked if he wanted to know what it was. He laughed and said, "No - just keep doing it."
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Since you are eating a ketogenic diet for control of your seizures it would be best to discuss this with your neurologist and registered dietitian. I would think they could offer some specifics for you in conjunction with the anti-seizure meds you are likely taking. Additionally they could provide the medical monitoring that might be required.

A google search should reveal that there are various types of ketogenic diets that consist of varying amount of fat or fat to protein+carb ratios. The classical 4:1or 3:1 is different than the Modified Atkins which is different than the Low Glycemic which is different than The MCT Oil Ketogenic Diet.

If you currently have a neurologist or registered dietitian who is not familiar with the various types of ketogenic diets or they are not willing to work with you to help you find what would be most readily adhered to thus potentially effective...find other medical practitioners.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I too would say to talk with your doctor. The classical medically prescribed ketogenic diet is typically lower in protein than a nutritional ketogenic diet, as mentioned above.

Have you looked into Dom d'Agostino's work? He has done research into seizures and treatment using exogenous ketones (ketone salts and esters). Perhaps you may be able to add more carbs and protein if you take exogenous ketones to keep your ketone levels high.

Exogenous ketones are sometimes used with Alzheimer's patients who may not be able to eat ketogenic or won't make the dietary change. It appears to benefit them. Mary Newport may be one to look into for that.

I'm not sure if exogenous ketones have a large impact calorie wise either. Newport used MCT oil to raise ketones, and that would have a caloric impact, but perhaps if you switched your other oils forMCT it might work.

Good luck!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,595 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

A google search should reveal that there are various types of ketogenic diets that consist of varying amount of fat or fat to protein+carb ratios. The classical 4:1or 3:1 is different than the Modified Atkins which is different than the Low Glycemic which is different than The MCT Oil Ketogenic Diet.

Whoa! I had no idea there were so many schools and plans out there. I thought keto was just reducing the carbs past a certain critical level. I am probably following some specific plan and don't even know it.
  • kabamalam
    kabamalam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was reading the book by Leanne Vogel, and she offers different keto plans for differing objectives. You ideally need to speak with your doctor as you have specific medical needs, and don't be afraid to do additional research yourself and present to them.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am able to control my migraines with just keeping carbs down...my higher protein and more moderate fat levels do still seem to reap the neuroprotective benefits of keto....but, you may want to discuss with your doctor. I started with a 2:1 ratio for about 3 months, then adjusted to 1:1 for a few months, then stopped worrying about the ratio at all and just focused on keeping carbs low.

Also, keep in mind that after 2 years the brain chemistry changes in children are permanent and they can do a more standard LCHF diet without a return of symptoms. No one has studied the permanence in adults, but depending on the length of time you have been keto, you may be able to switch to something with lower fat intake and still maintain control of the epilepsy.