Zoloft & low carb

Options
nikoba
nikoba Posts: 291 Member
I have struggled with my weight for many years. I'm an emotional eater and constantly yo-yo with my weight because of it.

When adhering to the lifestyle, I've had solid health & weight loss success with low carb. But I always succumb to life's hiccups, eat emotionally, and gain back weight.

I finally talked to my doctor about this, as im atcmy highest weight ever, and she diagnosed me as moderately/severely depressed and started me on Zoloft. I also wanted to start back with healthy eating and carb reduction as I had in the past (50g carbs is daily goal)

Has anyone had experience with SSRI's and low carb? Any suggestions or feeeback that I may find helpful? I want to be successful in establishing my health and I'm hoping the Zoloft can be a tool to find that balance I've lacked in the past.

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I remember you and I'm glad your back.

I was on Zoloft after the birth of my first but I wasn't low carb at the time. It helped me stabalize my mental health and I hope you have the same success with it. I do recall alcohol was a real issue for me on it. And I believe that's true with all SSRIs.

I do also recall that Zoloft messed with my stomach a bit. So keep an eye on that and don't be afraid to go back to your Dr and explore options including extended release or other medications.

Good for you for identifying your emotional eating, I tend that way and I know it's a hard cycle to break. Identifying it helps though and you're on the right track.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    @nikoba I wish you all the best as you begin this new medication. Is this the first time you have tried one?

I ask because I think it's important to keep in mind that each class of antidepressants will affect you in different ways. It can take awhile to see how one will affect you, and often it's not the right drug or the right dose the first time around.

Be gentle with yourself as you adjust... pay close attention to how you are feeling, and if you can -- I'd highly encourage you to keep a written journal each day. That way you can look back at your thoughts and really see how you are doing, compared with where you were before.
  • nikoba
    Options
    Thank you both! I just didn't know if starting meds and adjusting my eating style back to low carb at the same time might be taking on too much...but we're giving it a shot!

First day back to low carb and taking my first dose of meds tonight (the slip that came with the the prescription said that it can cause drowsiness, so I thought evening doses may be better?) Any thoughts on time of day adiministration?

This is my first time trying any kind of medicine for depression, so this is all brand new territory. It does say on the bottle not to take with alcohol, luckily I don't drink often, but I'll definitely keep that warning in mind and not push it.

My doctor wanted to see me in a month to check in on how I'm feeling with the meds, so I have that appointment already scheduled as well. Luckily, I love my new doctor and she did mention that it can take a few weeks to feel any effect and to let her know if anything doesn't feel "right".

I really appreciate both of your input and experiences...I value it, as I have no idea what to expect.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off Celexa (SSRI) through my life. Twice for depression and currently for panic disorder. It does help, but the biggest helper is ensuring you're getting a restful sleep. After the second round of depression my doctor prescribed me Trazadone for a sleep aid. It does wonders. Found I could keep depression at bay by using traz for a couple of weeks as needed to fix my sleep getting out of wack. Eating low carb also gives me more energy, which is like a natural anti-depressant in my opinion. You can totally start your med and diet at the same time. You got this!

Remember, if your feeling crappy over the next month, it might be keto flu, not you. There's hope, you'll get on the other side of this. Also, if you have some crazy weird dreams, it's not you. It's the meds. And if you're brain suddenly buzzes (a.k.a. Zingers), it's also the meds. Zingers only last a few seconds. Nothing to fear. It's just weird. All things I wish someone had told me as I started an SSRI when depression was a taboo subject.

As for SSRI and alcohol, it may make you more of a lightweight at worst. For others, me included, there was no difference.

I also agree with seeking out someone to help with eating habits. Behavior and cognitive modification therapy works! I'm almost panic disorder free because of this kind of therapy. It's a pain in the butt to go through, but sooooo worth it. (I say almost panic disorder free, as I still have a trigger that can't be replicated in an ordinary setting due to a traumatic event, so it's by chance when I have the opportunity to work on it. I'm getting there though, and have been very successful with it.)

If you're ever indoubt, don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor or come back here. I'm very much an advocate for mental health. I care. <3
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I find evening the best time to take an SSRI. You may experience some drowsiness or fogginess for a time regardless of the time of day, but that goes away as your body gets use to it. No worries.
  • nikoba
    Options
    I really appreciate all the personal feedback. Going down the Google rabbit hole can be daunting. I get that everyone's body is different, but I did get a little nervous reading tales on the internet of people starting depression meds and gaining 60lbs.

Along with the meds, my doctor did refer me to both a "talk therapist" and to speak to a sleep study professional. I unfortunately can't get into the therapist referral until March, but will be meeting with the sleep group in a few weeks.

I've struggled emotionally since I was a kid. I used to be a cutter and have always yo-yo'd with my weight since grade school. I'm hopeful that now that I'm addressing the emotional aspect of things, that I'll come away with some useful tools to manage the whole package (emotionally and physically).

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Zoloft doesn't just cause drowsiness, but can cause sleep disruption (waking too much or inability to fall asleep) basically, i remember the dr saying ANY abnormal sleep when taking an SSRI is reason to adjust the dosage. And it won't just be decreasing, increasing the dosage can be what it takes.

As you lose or gain weight the dosage may need to change too. Don't expect negative side effects, but don't ignore them either. Monitor it just like you would anything else.
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Ugh, I know, googling health information is the worst! It can make anyone have anxiety. I have to remind myself that those with good health outcomes don't talk about them online.

You can try calling the therapy office again to request an earlier appointment. New patient bookings are always about 3 months out. The exception is urgancy. If you really want to get started with therapy, they'll likely up your appointment to two weeks instead of 3 months. And, if you aren't connecting with the therapist after a few sessions, ask for a refferral to another one. It's okay, they understand that. It's not like breaking up with your hairstylist. Another bit of advice I wish I had been told before hand. ::sigh:: Oh, and ask for homework! Homework will help accelarate your sessions, so you get the most out of them!

You deserve to be happy and on the road to making life what you want. Don't forgot to be kind to yourself during all this!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    One thing I read though, too, is that if you have any sort of compromised gut health, you will have difficulty converting serotonin/dopamine out of your existing dietary intake of amino acids and neurotransmitters. So make sure you do your best (probiotics, prebiotics, digestive aids, etc.) to support your gut, too. Carbs are "instant feel good" release of chemicals (dopamine mainly, if I remember right), which is why it is so hard for emotional eaters with underlying depression/conversion issues to break out of the cycle.

So you may end up doing better at the highest end of low carb that you can tolerate, and staying away from grains, but allowing some root veg and such. But it's going to be a give and take to figure out what your body needs in nutrients during this time, as well. (hugs) and best of luck!
  • Beatansem
    Beatansem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take a low dose of escilatopram (Lexapro) an anti depressant for anxiety. I’ve been on it for 3 months and I take mine in the morning. My energy levels are great. I definitely gained my appetite back when starting the meds, but I found that an apple cider vinegar concoction in the morning helped. I stopped the ACV drink recently and started Keto 5 days ago. My energy is great and my mood is too! It’s easy to worry about every little thing when getting adjusted to medications, but trust your body and don’t be afraid to let your doctor know if something is bothering you.

Good luck! :)