Presentation help!

Options
NicoleL874
NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
My surgeon has asked me to become a regular presenter at their informational session. I have 5 - 10 minutes. I can fill time, no problem.

Those pre-op, what would you like to hear from a successful patient? Those post-op, what should I talk about?

I don't want to completely wing it. I also don't want to have too much completely arranged.

They do have my pre-op photo, so everyone will get to see that. And, I'll be in workout clothes because I am in an early morning kickboxing class that I will literally leave and head straight to the presentation...lol, so I'll be lookin' purdy!

Thanks for all ideas! My first presentation is 1/12/19!

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome! I think as a post op nailing into people’s heads that it’s really easy to revert back to old ways and to really be in tune with your body.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being asked by your doctor's office to speak at the bariatric sessions, that equals real success!

The best advice I have is to make changes to your diet that are sustainable. During the weight loss phase find new favorite foods, find an exercise you can do without feeling like it's a punishment, and losing weight isn't about being 100% perfect. It's about following the doctor's guidelines, asking for help when needed, and being active here, on the doctor's web site but with a group of people who are getting healthy.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I will ditto the two responses above! Every possible way to tell them how important it is that they change their relationship with food. That it’s impossible to continue doing the same things they’ve always done in the past and expect different results (that’s the definition of insanity right?). It applies in every way here too.

What an honor for you to be asked to do this! Good for you!
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Agreed, congrats! People need to understand that you are not getting out without diet/exercise. This is your kick start to create a new way of living. This is a bad thing, so may not be a good thing for you to share. I had a lap band and never realized that if you got sick (flu/food poison) that you could die, can't throw up (sorry bad wording). I was shocked when I did get food poison and had to be taken to the hospital. Just a lesson learn for me and I think it would have been nice to know before I had surgery. Otherwise, I think my doctor/nutritionist did set me straight otherwise. I also think a peer group, like MFP is amazingly helpful. Thank you all!!!!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    DawnCumm wrote: »
    Agreed, congrats! People need to understand that you are not getting out without diet/exercise. This is your kick start to create a new way of living. This is a bad thing, so may not be a good thing for you to share. I had a lap band and never realized that if you got sick (flu/food poison) that you could die, can't throw up (sorry bad wording). I was shocked when I did get food poison and had to be taken to the hospital. Just a lesson learn for me and I think it would have been nice to know before I had surgery. Otherwise, I think my doctor/nutritionist did set me straight otherwise. I also think a peer group, like MFP is amazingly helpful. Thank you all!!!!

My surgeon won't do lap band anymore, fortunately. Glad nothing horrible came of that for you! How frightening!
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So how did it go? What did you talk about?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Ditto! How did it go for you?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Sounds like a success Nicole! Good for you!

Love the new profile picture too!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    KarlaYP wrote: »
    Sounds like a success Nicole! Good for you!

Love the new profile picture too!

Ha! Thanks! The other one was taken right around my 1 year post-op. I'm 3+ years now, thought it was time to update that, I look a little different! (That was at my bari program's Christmas Ball)