When you come in from work what’s your go to snack?

Options
Exactly as the title asks! I’ve had some great responses to my other question so now taking advantage and asking another. When I get in from work I prepare kids meals at six pm up at 6am so I’m usually finding it hard not to resist something. I used to eat bread - and too much but no longer. I like a treat and I know it’s bad but I need something to look forward to- husband isn’t gone until 8 pm and likes us to eat together. In another life I would go to the gym but now I have little people.

Help! X

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I've always snacked while I've made dinner and It's a terrible habit, when I sit down with family to eat....I've already eaten. >_< I honestly try not to snack but, whatever. I still find myself shoving food in my face.

I really really really like having pickles around for this exact moment. They are crunchy, salty, yummy. Basically my requirements for any and all snacks. I do not worry about popping a couple (or a lot, let's be honest) in my mouth while I'm making dinner.

I can mindlessly eat these and not feel bad physically or mentally about my mindless eating.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack when I get home is lunchmeat and cheese rollups.

If I start trying to cook dinner without a snack, then I'm going to end up with a glass of wine or a beer in my hand.
  • gdaydreamer
    gdaydreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    pickles and string cheese
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nori.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 278 Member
    Options

If I start trying to cook dinner without a snack, then I'm going to end up with a glass of wine or a beer in my hand.

This is so me! I can't tell you how many times while cooking dinner I go to take a sip of wine... and there isn't any! LOL

Today's go-to snack was turkey deli meat rolled up with a pickle spear and a little cream cheese.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I often have a snack of a tin of sardines or some string cheese.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I tend to grab a pepperoni or some cheese too.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I will have a cheese stick, slim Jim (wrap the slim Jim with a slice of cheese or wrap the cheese stick with a slice of deli ham), beef jerky....
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pickles, cheese, pepperoni, beef jerky. I like nuts, but they're too easy to overdo. The other items are easier to portion and stick to.

I've heard some folks keep hard boiled eggs on hand for quick snacks. Now I'm thinking about making some now since dinner is done but I'm farther under my calorie and protein goals than I'd prefer.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I get home from work at 7pm and eat my dinner straight away so no need for me to snack but when I do I have hard boiled eggs, jerky, nuts, cheese, olives, something light.
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A plate of scrambled eggs.
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    “Whisps” - crunchy Parmesan cheese crisps!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Pocket meat, cheese stick, or protein shake
  • ahale160
    ahale160 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheese or almonds are my go to snack.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Walnuts.
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles, ultimate garlic. Pickled eggs. Thin slices salami...
  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Chai tea with cream or a couple of spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt to hold me until dinner. Boring. I know.
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Cheese or pickled eggs.
    I usually eat too much cheese if I choose it after work (coming in from shift at 5:30 AM) and my tummy isn't exactly happy if I eat that just before I head to bed (asleep by 6 AM). Pickled eggs work a bit better as I don't overdo it with them. I just do it the lazy way: hard boil eggs, peel, stick in ex-pickle jar (juice left after the pickles are gone) along with some whole peppercorns, extra dill and thinly sliced onion if you like, and top off with extra vinegar. Don't touch for at least 1 week - then they are perfect.
    Yummier with extra pink salt in your hand to lick up as you eat them.

wow, mind blown here too! I have 3 jars of pickles in the fridge now. Can't wait to try this!