Need Help From Fellow RN's on Noc shift!!! :)

Options
nurse_beck
nurse_beck Posts: 31 Member
Hello all!!! My name is Becky and I've been working night shift (mostly under duress :)) for almost 3 years. In that time I have put on about 30 pounds. I'm the heaviest I've been in my life and it's not fun to see a reflection of myself. I've been making excuses for a long time as to why I've been gaining weight. Mainly blaming night shift amongst other things, but that time has come to an end. Since working nights I have also battled off and on with depression which is completely opposite of my personality. I'm usually very upbeat and happy. I do realize that when I don't eat alot of sugar and starches, AND exercise that it really helps me. I'm just looking for some new MFP friends so we can help each other on this journey. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!! :)

Replies

• obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Can you get off nights to better your health?

I find in working nights and trying to be healthy is about meal planning, forcing yourself to exercise and getting enough sleep. You have to let everyone know your weight loss plan so you can firmly say no to the late night fast food ordering or when baked goodies come around. Now, you can start logging to see where you biggest calorie intake is coming from and you have find yummy alternatives. If your coworkers are ordering yummy stuff and you got boring waiting on you will likely give in and order with them. Exercise wise, I try to get in when I can, even if it is just 10 minutes. If you work somewhere with stair, you can run stairs on a slow nights, lunge down the hallway or even utilize an exercise room if one is at your facility. Decide on a time to exercise, I exercise at home in front of the tv ALOT so less excuses at to why I can't. Just a few ideas to get started,
  • nurse_beck
    Options
    Thank you! Those are some ideas that I have not thought of. No, as of right now I can't get off nights. I've been waiting almost 2 years for a day position to open up. We are a critical access hospital in a rural area and we have a very low turnover. I am just going to continue to be persistent and WILL accomplish my goals.
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you were in my area you could get off nights! I also work at a critical access hospital and we have a days position open :) I love the ideas posted. Exercising in any way you can (I am still working up the bravery to exercise in front of others at work so I do some pushups, squats and that type of thing everytime I go to the bathroom). Exercise is a main thing with me, I notice a huge difference when I don't do it. Another thing I do is flat out not bring any money to work with me. That leaves me no way to join in when coworkers are ordering food, can't get stuff out of the vending machine, ect. I assume if you are at a critical access hospital you are probably in a relatively small town, probably meaning food places shut down at 8pm or 10pm, which I find helpful too. Bringing your own food so that is all you have available is what I do (I tend to do a snack for around 8pm and then supper after midnight). On the sleep front, there are free apps out there if you have a smart phone (I really like I'm Sleeping, there is also No Disturb) that makes it so that only the numbers you choose can get ahold of you during the times you set (so you can sleep without texts and emails and calls). There are also fitness apps for your phone, or youtube or hasfit.com have workouts that you can do wherever you have internet. You can do it!
  • aworlds
    aworlds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I am an RN also and have been working nights for ten years plus. I do understand how hard it is to get off nights. My area is the same way... Hard to find a daylight job. My biggest advice for you is to pack your lunch with healthy snacks. Not only healthy but things you like to eat. I know my co workers also like out for food runs also. One more thing, just like anything else don't eat right before bed. No matter what your bed time is. I know this is a big downfall for me. I get off work and feel tired and want to eat. Every time I eat at that time of the day it's normally carbs. I know my body is telling me to just go to sleep. I have a locker where I use to work that I keep five pound weights in. On my lunch break I would go to the building basement and power walk listening to music..... Just warn the house keepers first so you don't scare them lol, my area was down my laundry where most staff didn't go at night.
  • nurse_beck
    Options
    Thank you both SO much for responding!! It feels so good just to know that there are others who are in the same position. We do live to larger towns, that I could drive to, but it literally takes me a minute and a half to walk to work. :) Kind of hard to let go of that and just keep trying to be patient until a spot comes open. I am ABSOLUTELY DETERMINED to achieve my goal and not make excuses. I do find that the more tired I am that I just have no willpower and I want to eat (especially carbs and sugary foods) to wake myself up. Vicious cycle. Well, it's onward and upward from now on. Glad y'all added me. It's great to have support!!
  • IcaWise
    IcaWise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work night shift as well, but as a weekender, then have to flip to day shift during the week to take care of my daughter. This led me to not lose any of my pregnancy weight, and even gain some more pounds. Slowly but surely, I've started changing my habits. Walking during breaks at work (helps keep me awake too!), always packing my lunch, always having a bottle of water (hidden on the unit, of course) to sip on. Then I began introducing exercise. I'm to the point where I work out at home 5-6 days a week using tacky home video work outs. But you know what? They work. Good luck to all of you and feel free to add me as a friend for inspiration!
  • rnlenore
    rnlenore Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with 3rd. I work nights and never am able to get enough sleep but my biggest down fall is sweets. All I want is carbs like doughnuts and sweet cereal and all the stuff I am not suppose to be eating all the time. If I could just get control of the cravings I would be okay.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i work nights & this was my biggest problem with snacking especially non slow nights. i spoke with a nutrionist and was told that nights are my days & that I should eat my dinner at work, and eat smaller meals during the day time. I been trying it & it has been working for me. I also like the idea of not bringing any money, walking the stairs, parking a distance from the job, I leave my station for any & everything, also bringing fruits, nuts.
  • Jensan03
    Jensan03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    rnlenore wrote: »
    I too struggle with 3rd. I work nights and never am able to get enough sleep but my biggest down fall is sweets. All I want is carbs like doughnuts and sweet cereal and all the stuff I am not suppose to be eating all the time. If I could just get control of the cravings I would be okay.

I have found...the more carbs/ sweets you eat..... The more you crave..... You should check out keto .... It weaned me off all sugar (0 cravings) and jump started my weight loss! I love it..
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN on nights. I hate nights but can't do days with all my kids.Meal plan. Bring small frequent snacks like berries, watermelon, and cheese.Don't bring money or your debit card to work to avoid the temptation of ordering food or snacks from the snack machine. Carve out time for SLEEP!Walk on breaks. Go to gym after work before going to sleep. It is hard to loose weight on nights but it is doable.
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Rotating roster nurse meaning my meal times are continually changing. I feel you, hard part is when people bring in food to share on nights on my ward, we are doing biggest loser for three months versus another ward to make it a fun challenge ($5 a week to participate, top three get a percentage) meaning that there is less bad stuff as a hole it’s fun getting everyone one in on the challenge less takeaways etc around. I make dinner when I wake up have a small amount of it for dinner and take a bigger dinner portion to reheat at work. Then I make sure I have breakfast when I get home before sleep so I sleep better or my bodies trying to wake me to eat as normal. Also I make myself drink half a litre of water before I allow myself to have any other drink eg coffee/diet soda etc
    Also logging makes me responsible for what I’m having but also allows an occasional treat eg had popcorn at the movies

Anyway add me I’m looking for more people to cheer me on and give me meal ideas! Good luck