Getting started is difficult

Options
Hi Everyone,

My name is Lisa and I am 46, 5'5 and weigh 184 pounds. After I finished having kids (had my last baby at 35) I always seemed to naturally weigh around 165. If I stayed somewhat active ate fairly decent and monitored my weight I could be guaranteed I would be around that weight. Then I stopped paying attention, and or got really lazy. I put on 20 pounds. At the end of 2018 (I started this mid December) decided enough was enough and I was going to get it together and at least get down to 165. I've considerably cut back on junk...stopped the binge eating (which I was doing a lot of), committed to 15,000 steps a day which usually is my normal days activities plus an extra mile or two with the dog. (Without really putting any effort in I usually get in about 10,000 steps a day). 3x a week I've been working out on the elliptical for about 20 minutes (I'm hoping to work up to 30 minutes by the beginning of February, it's not that I can't do it...it just bores me to hang out on the elliptical). I've been drinking between 72 and 96oz of water a day. Generally, I take in between 1300 and 1500 calories a day (I think I was hitting upward of 1800 before I decided to take charge). I've been keeping a food journal on here and I also journal at the end of the night just about how my day went. The scale has not budged and it's freaking me out. I do feel better, generally speaking, with energy and I see that my digestive system is moving things along ...more so than it has ever before (but that might be in relation to the fact that I've been off work the past 2 weeks...usually when I get real busy my body decides it doesn't have time to poop...sorry...don't mean to be gross). I realize it's just a number on the scale...but I feel it's a measurement to let me know that I'm moving in the right direction. Anyone have any suggestions on things I can do to make some progress in that area? I'm not much of an elimination diet kind of girl. And I'm fearful if I eliminate something for a short time the second I reintroduce it I'm going to run into a problem.

Replies

• PumpkinAndPecans
    PumpkinAndPecans Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi chaquita1972! Thank you for sharing. I had my one and only kid at the age of 40. I'll be 46 this year. My highest documented weight was 179. I'm 5'6" so I'm feeling your story. My main loss all started in 2015. I lost around 50 lbs and hit my goal. Over the years, I got lazy and now I need to lose about 20 lbs. I stopped MFP, logging food and even stopped exercising. Today is my first day back into this and I'm hoping for success. I have 3 things to share with you and hope it will help.

1. You didn't mention if you used a food scale. This helped me out a bunch. I loved seeing "gram" servings on labels! It only got a little hectic during dinner time with our family shared meal but I would weigh food when creating recipes on MFP so I could serve my serving size.

2. Take body measurements. Scales tend to lie if there is sodium involved, time of month, etc. I wish I would of done this in 2015. I didn't start until I was two weeks in. I saw the loss in photos, which brings me to number...

3. Take monthly photos. I did front and side pics. This not only shows you losses but it will keep the motivation going.