Sunflower Seeds!

Options
Genmon02
Genmon02 Posts: 17 Member
Hello all!
I have been a huge sunflower seeds fan for a long time. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my favorite brand, BIGS Chile Tapatio have only 4 carbs per 1/4 a cup but its ALL fiber. SO technically is has 0 net carbs! AND tons of sodium! So no keto flu for me lol.

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Plus lots of yummy salt!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I wonder what could be different about this brand than typical sunflower seeds, which have a significant amount of fiber but not an amount equivalent to the amount of carbs contained?

Zero net carbs does not seem possible to me. I wonder if it's an issue of rounding the amounts of carbs and fiber; but, even that seems circumspect to me.

Check out the USDA database:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/12036?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=12036&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

• MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @bametels is correct. Many products claim to be zero carb because of labeling laws, but logic tells us otherwise. I refuse to buy ANYTHING from Walden Farms because they claim ALL their products have 0 carbs/protein/fat/kcal, which is deceptive and unethical, and obviously not true. You can't grind up a bunch of different ingredients that have calories and magically come up a product that contains NOTHING.

In-the-shell sunflower seeds do have a small amount of protein, fat and carbs, but you have to really work for it. :) I like to buy a small bag of shelled sunflower seeds; I sprinkle about a Tbs on my salad sometimes. They do not have a super long shelf life, though.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    another exaple is my acocado oil spray has zero fat ;) . Its has zero fat for a .01 spray time.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »
    another exaple is my acocado oil spray has zero fat ;) . Its has zero fat for a .01 spray time.

LOL too funny! Can you hold down a button for 1/100th of a second?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    I eat in shell seeds for a snack. 150 cals worth can last me an hour or more and the macros are fine. I like Bigs Dill flavor or the frito lay extra long shell salted