My C25K diary

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I ran yesterday for the first time in a while. Did week 3, day 3 of my Rundouble app. Ended up with 1.1 miles in the 15 minutes of run/ walk intervals.

Keep up the great work!
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    @Just_Ceci That's brilliant well done!
  • kirstyfoy
    t015werdsrx3.jpg

Post run cuddles with the boy. @redjanuaryuk Day 8! Couch to 5k Week 7 Run 3 complete!!!

Well we started off our Red January Day 8 with going to see Solo at the stables. I usually reach my step goal for the day at the stables by mucking out and then either lungeing (which we did today) or leading Connie out on a ride.

This evening I completed my c25k run. I thought I'd done a PB but double checking I've just missed out by 0.03 of a mile! So pretty even. I do still have a cough but feeling better than Sundays run. Today it felt easy until the usual wall at 20 minutes. God knows how people run further lol! Do you reckon when I get to running 30 minutes in 2 weeks my wall will still be at 20 or will move to 25?

🏁2.55miles/4.01km
    🏃‍♀️13'55
    💖146
    🔥542

So if you still don't know what red January is then you obviously haven't been following my posts closely enough 🤣

'R.E.D January is a movement helping people support their mental wellbeing through exercise. ... R.E.D's mission is to raise awareness of mental health problems, such as depression, by promoting the positive impact that exercise can have on happiness and wellbeing.' (Psychologies.co.uk)

If you would like to make a donation to @mindcharity please follow the link https://www.mind.org.uk/donate (I've still got 23 days of being active to go before promising my friend Pete I'd consider a rest day🤣)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Week 4 day 2 finished this morning. 2.42 miles and 238 calories. I don't know my pace or heart rate but if felt really good. It was cold this morning but I know that running in the winter is always going to be a brisk morning. I look forward to it now.

I hope everyone is making good progress toward their goals. My 5k race is Saturday February 9th so I can't slip up now. :)
  • kirstyfoy
    @amgreenwell that is amazing and your pace must be good because I'm only just up to 2.5 miles at the end of week 7 lol! My running is probably slower than my walking! Tomorrow I start week 8!
  • kirstyfoy
    eumhodpkkn9e.jpg

@redjanuaryuk day10! Couch to 5k Week 8 Run 1. 28 minutes of running done! Felt like I was flying this evening. The park was strangely busy with dog walkers so I had to keep more if an eye on mine. He likes to steal balls off of other dogs And someone had a lovely light up one which luckily we managed to avoid thieving.

Cough and sniffles were still irritating but I honestly think the running has helped it not become the flu my daughter had.

I honestly never thought I'd get this close to doing 5k during the time on the app!

So PB for distance and only a little bit off 5k!

Oh and I ran in my new Hygge Band which was great at keeping my hair out my face and headphones in my ears as well as some extra warmth.

🏁2.78miles/4.46km
    🏃‍♀️14'01
    💖151
    🔥606

REDJanuary is about being active every day in January to promote good mental health. If you'd like to help out, us REDers are raising money for @mindcharity please follow the link and donate https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/donate-or-fundraise/
  • Just_Ceci
    I ran yesterday- run 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, run 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes, repeat. Managed 2 miles in 33 minutes including warm up and cool down.
  • kirstyfoy
    @Just_Ceci Well done! X
  • kirstyfoy
    zpg6h6kmqowf.jpg

Day 12 of @redjanuaryuk and Week 8 Run 2 of c25k. Ok so I definitely set off too fast today. I was struggling from lap 2 (10 minutes) of the run. I forgot to have my usual glass of water before an early morning run and so got stitch by lap 3. But I kept going. This is all about mentally over coming my I can't attitude to running and pushing through and proving I can. Every stride of my final lap of running I thought about walking but I didn't. I will definitely endeavour to pace myself better on Tuesday when I next run. I also got distracted and didn't stop my fit bit bang on the end of @sarahmillican ending her speech. So probably 2.91miles but I was still walking so I'll take it!

I thought I'd introduce you to my running partner today. Here's Theo! He's definitely confused about doing more than 2 laps of the park but still loving it!

🏁2.94miles/4.73km
    🏃‍♀️13'29
    💖155
    🔥637

If you would like to support red January and @mindcharity in helping people with their mental health please donate at www.mind.org.uk/donate
  • amgreenwell
    @kirstyfoy you are almost finished!!! Incredible progress.
    I finished week 5 day 1 this morning in the spitting rain and it felt amazing!!
    Keep me posted on your running success. Are you signed up to run a race?
  • kirstyfoy
    Well done @amgreenwell. My race isn't until April, an inflatable 5k 🙊🙈 but I'm planning on doing some park runs before hand. I'm going to try and get my distance up first as I'm only actually running 2miles/3k at the moment and the rest is during the warm up/cool down walks. So.im going to increase my running time by 3 minutes each week until I get to 5k or I might just try to run 5k and see how long it takes me! I've downloaded some podcasts from the nhs website which are for post c25k and help with speed and stamina. I'm actually getting worried about finishing!

Luckily I've signed up to race at your pace and so need to keep running this month to get my medal for 25 miles in Jan.
  • amgreenwell
    @kirstyfoy even if you need to walk finishing a 5k is wonderful. Good job!
    I’ve always run traditional races but the inflatables sounds interesting. I’m always so worried about injury. Best of luck and keep me posted on your progress.
  • Just_Ceci
    I wish we had park runs here!

My concern in obstacle races is always upper body strength. I bet you will do great!
  • kirstyfoy
    @Just_Ceci I'm doing weight training twice a week as well as running 3 times so hoping I'll be ok!
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Hey kirstyfoy what is the name of the app you’re using? I have C25K by ZenLabs bit it’s really different than it used to be.
  • kirstyfoy
    @stoked2b it's the nhs app https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/ you can get the link for iphone or android here.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks. NHS app is not available on the US App Store. I checked the actual week by week program and it looks exactly the same (at least through week 5)
  • kirstyfoy
    Day 15 of @redjanuaryuk and week 8 Run 3 of couch to 5k.

😮😮😮😬😬😬😱😱😱 3 runs to go before I have completed the c25k app! I can't believe I've been running for 8 weeks!

I still can't believe I can run for 28 minutes solid and that I am running laps round a park I once struggled to run down the long side of.

So I purposefully set off slower today after really struggling on Saturday. I still struggled with the first lap then seemed to get into my stride.

It's definitely about overcoming your mental blocks and head telling you you can't do it, because you can. Thankfully I'm quite a competitive person and so won't let myself stop or give up.

Other active moments today were visiting the Shetland pony, mucking out and leading the kids round. I also started my new career as a childminder today. About 5 thousand of my steps are from continuously tidying my living room this afternoon 🤣

So you know what Red January is about by now... if you'd like to make a donation to @mindcharity then please visit www.mind.org.uk/donate

m1ycosddq8jv.jpg
  • kirstyfoy
    @stoked2b you might be able to download the pod casts?
  • kirstyfoy
    Doh forgot the stats

🏁2.84miles/4.57km
    🏃‍♀️13'44
    💖150
    🔥628