Moods

Options
I just wondered if anyone has noticed any alleviation in depression since starting keto?

Thank you... I’m enjoying being able to ask so many questions with this very friendly group.

Replies

• KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if anyone has noticed any alleviation in depression since starting keto?

Thank you... I’m enjoying being able to ask so many questions with this very friendly group.

I have definitely seen an improvement in depression and anxiety as well. I believe it became most evident during the times I have gone OFF keto though. Now, when I am not in ketosis, depression, anxiety and migraines rear their ugly heads again.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I feel more “Up” you could say. It’s hard to describe because I didn’t suffer true depression. I do feel better, once again, though!
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not alleviation; however, I am able to go longer than I used to between doses (for when I forget in the morning or if I’m it takes longer than expected to get to the pharmacy). Instead of noticing within 24-36 hours, I can make it 3-5 days.
  • RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Much improved moods here. Not as many hangry episodes either😜
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My mood is more stable. I don't have emotional ups and downs, or at least they are less intense. I don't get mood swings from hunger/bloodsugar issues either.
    :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I feel steadier energy which seems to translate into happiness. Tired = grumpy for me. ;)

I have some IR and had reactive hypoglycemia before keto so my blood glucose was on the roller coaster. The steadier BG seems to really help me.

PMS frumpiness is reduced too.

I know my situation is not truly depression, though it all seems to be slightly linked. Glad you are feeling better. :)
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I actually feel more emotional. I have PCOS, and keto is supposed to help regulate hormones, so I am not sure if that is what is going on and I am just feeling all of the effects. Before keto, I never had PMS symptoms, I would bloat before ovulation, cramp a day or two before my period and that was it. The last few months, the week before my period I feel completely drained and super emotional and/or moody.

I have been doing keto for close to 4months, and I am still waiting on that surge of energy. I am giving myself time to adjust to all of it. just like weight gain, PCOS irregularities did not happen overnight, so I must be patient...it just sucks sometimes...
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @Everyonelies :'( sorry to hear that
    hope the additional positive things come out to play (since you have been wicked brave and shown pictures of your progress)
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @Everyonelies :'( sorry to hear that
    hope the additional positive things come out to play (since you have been wicked brave and shown pictures of your progress)

Thanks @zanyterp! I am trying to be very patient with it all...I know the benefits will outweigh everything else...it is just a bit discouraging when you feel icky...even after consuming more sodium, magnesium, etc...

Will still hang on, have a few (25) more lbs to go!
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Everyone lies - so sorry to hear this. Also worried too as I am so susceptible to low mood at this point, I haven’t managed to stick at keto yet but would be motivated by improved mood.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Sorry I meant to say I haven’t managed keto for a consecutive long period yet!