Running and C25K

Options
steve0mania
steve0mania Posts: 3,008 Member
Since we're "reminiscing," one thing that was really valuable on the old WW GOAD site was the running group.

I was never a runner, but after joining WW, I realized that running would give the best "bang-for-the-buck," in terms of calorie burn, efficiency, and ability to exercise almost where ever you are.

Way back when, someone turned me onto the couch-to-5K program (C25K), and over 9 weeks I became a runner. I was really into it for quite a while but in recent years I've been pretty spotty in my running. The last time I restarted, I quickly developed a running injury, presumably from being too out of running shape and then restarting too rapidly.

Thus, I decided to restart the C25K program.

I'm on week 2 now (90 sec runs alternating with 2 minute walks). It's going well. To be honest, though, I'm actually enjoying starting from the beginning again! It reminds me of when I started WW, and how excited I was to finally be taking some control of my life.

Plus, I found my old mp3 files I made for myself to guide me through the process (basically just some songs with cues for when to run or walk).

I'm just mentioning this in case anyone has ever thought of running and thought that there was no way they could possibly be a runner. I thought the same thing. Having a program to follow sure makes it easy!

On an interesting side-note, I've also appreciated rekindling some of the old enthusiasm I had 10 years ago when I first joined WW!

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,117 Member
    Options
    You go Bro!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,019 Member
    Options
    WTG!! @steveOmania.
  • pmfahey
    pmfahey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner prior to joining WW (for the third time) at the end of 2010. I started with running just a mile a few months into the program, and eventually progressed to running races. Last December I completed my 14th marathon.

I still run 6 days a week all these years later, and I would have never considered taking up the sport had it not been for joining WW.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your posts, @steve0mania and @pmfahey . I'm looking for some similar benefits. I intend to do the C25K program but want to do the training outside and it's still too wacky and unpredictable for me to start. I'm hoping things settle out weather-wise in early spring. I have no intention of becoming a "runner", but would definitely like to up-my-game a bit this year.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Way to go Steve. I started running using C25K too.
    minimyzeme wrote: »
    I have no intention of becoming a "runner",
    No one ever does........
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    You guys are inspiring me. I'm going to try it on the next trip to the gym, hopefully this afternoon. Haven't run (at all) since before my first knee replacement in 2002. Just d/l'd the app to my phone.

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Right on! I’ve been restarting C25K too. I’ve been running with a friend for a few weeks now. I tweaked my knee this weekend, so I’m pausing to let it heal before we resume. I agree that the C25K has given me some of the enthusiasm that has been missing.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Excellent, Steve! I used to run all the time, but foot problems took me out of the game. I do miss it.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4. We had rain, then snow, then crazy-cold temperatures here, so I did today's run/walk on the treadmill. It really is amazing how a slow and steady ramp-up makes it do-able.

I tried running way way in my past, and could never do it without getting hurt. As someone said above, I also started running (via C25K) shortly after joining WW and kept up with it for a long time before lapsing. I'm happy to be restarting. It really is a lot of fun. Plus, I found the old podcasts I made for myself, so it's fun to remember the music I selected, etc.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    I did get to the gym today. Started the app, but had a real problem trying to run. Partially did 4 runs (about 1/2 the time), and stopped after 25 min., so not to over do. We'll see what tomorrow brings. The "runs" were akward at best, but it's a start.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    I did get to the gym today. Started the app, but had a real problem trying to run. Partially did 4 runs (about 1/2 the time), and stopped after 25 min., so not to over do. We'll see what tomorrow brings. The "runs" were akward at best, but it's a start.

Al, I never finished the program, but I made it to two miles verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. Honestly, don't worry about how long it takes you to ramp up and how long you stay at a certain level. It's the sustained movement that will help you build a base that will get you stronger. I would have stopped numerous times had I not lurked a lot on the old GOAD running board. And "awkward" is a good description of my running form. Congrats on getting started!

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,584 Member
    Options
    C25K served me well back in 2009. Kept going all the way to a marathon the following year. The music with the run/walk cues was really helpful. Mine even had some encouragement at spots which was a bit corny but effective. Good luck! If I could run again I would start this way.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Al, I never finished the program, but I made it to two miles verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. Honestly, don't worry about how long it takes you to ramp up and how long you stay at a certain level. It's the sustained movement that will help you build a base that will get you stronger. I would have stopped numerous times had I not lurked a lot on the old GOAD running board. And "awkward" is a good description of my running form. Congrats on getting started!

Thanks Emmie, for the encouragement. I an learning from my body what it will/won't do. Just need to go slooooooow. :)

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Another awkward runner here. I'm just grateful that physical therapy relieved the knee pain I was having with nearly all of my daily activities, even sleeping last year. I just do walk/run on the treadmill these. Today was 6 intervals of 1 minute of running with 4 minutes of walking. I won't be doing a 5K but this amount of running helps my hill climbing fitness on the bike.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Got to the gym this evening. Didn't do quite as good on the C25K, but did get 3 30 sec "runs", and totaled 25 min. Sloooooooooooooooooooooooow!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What an encouraging thread! Good for you @Al_Howard --you're an inspiration to me, as are the rest of you C25Kers!

I'm eager and apprehensive at the same time. I really want to do my training outside so am hoping for a more even-keeled start to Spring than last year. As my partner is facing knee replacement surgery, it reminds me of the importance of being safe but also to keep moving as I age.