Canned Tomatoes (Whoops!)

Options
freckleston
freckleston Posts: 36 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
Im only just starting - third day -so have a lot to learn and understand & I have no background of knowing what different foods are made up of.

I cant believe the carbs in a tin of tomatoes! [WHOOPSIE!]

I never even checked as truly thought tomatoes would be a fine choice.

Is there anything else that surprised you at the start?!

Edit: also, if you make a mistake like this would you try to 'even out the %' by eating something else?
I do have some calories left over but its the evening now and i am not hungry at all.

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tomato's can fit into keto if you don't overdo it but the stuff in the cans are sometimes loaded with extra junk that makes it not so friendly.

A trick on a day that just won't fit in the keto levels carb wise is too plan to use the fuel quickly. If you are working out right before or after eating more carbs than planned you can make the body use up the excess and sometimes never get kicked out of ketosis.

The biggest thing that surprised me in general was how little a serving truly is when you start weighing and measuring foods. Then there is foods like cauliflower that seems to never end serving wise lol.
  • freckleston
    freckleston Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ah! actually this made me remember i didnt consume all the can juice so probly saved myself a bit there.
    Im sure it wont be the last time i find out something surprising about a food after ive eaten it.
    I agree re. portions - Ive weighed almost everything else for past few days and ive not once guessed correctly.

+Handy tip to remember about the work out. I dont personally do much workout at moment - i do walking, yoga & pilates .thats all i feel like doing for now.
    Thank you for your reply.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I do remember tomatoes being an eye opener, for sure! It actually made me sad because I used to love them!

The things that really got me were the foods I used to eat on a SAD diet (fruits especially) and I thought I was doing good when I was eating them! I actually logged a day of a low fat, low calorie day that I used to try to diet with and the amount of carbs were around 300 a day and more!! That was truly sad, but eye opening!!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Made me think of the first time I realized how many carbs was in cumin and other spices lol
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Berries! I know they’re technically allowed but the portion sizes to keep them in check are so small. It’s almost like a tease! 😩
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Be careful of "Protein powders". They usually have more carbs than protein.
    And most of them display the huge amount of protein on the front of the can, but you have to read the nutrition labels for carbs.