How important is it to get into ketosis?

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
I have done keto off & on for about 4 years, took all of last year off and gained a ton of weight and suffered with joint pain and depression so keto called me back.

I've been back full time since Jan 1st, I'm down 13 lbs but I'm not getting into ketosis. I test with Precision Xtra blood meter and the highest reading I've gotten is 0.4.

The only really 'dirty keto' thing I eat are a protein bar called Built bar which 5 net and use erythitol as the sweetener.

How worried should I be about getting into ketosis? I plan on sticking to this long term as it really benefits me with joint pain but I do have about 80lbs to lose as well.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My mother always has issues with artificial sweeteners kicking her out of ketosis, but I don't know if that's a common thing or not.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know what ketosis is and lost 60 pounds via a low carb calorie deficit. Total daily carbs daily averaged 128.

I trialed keto for 52 weeks in maintenance for reason other than weight management and maintained during that time as planned. Ketosis itself does not cause weight loss. Think of the thousands or millions who choose to keep their diet-ketogenic- and do not lose weight but rather maintain (as they wish to do). Drs. Phinny, Volek, Westman are great examples as is Dom D'Agostino, PhD. So too are all the folks that have the keto podcast and eat keto. And those with epilepsy who eat ketogenic to control seizures.

I do have better satiety and reduced cravings with very low carb but keto is not necessary for my weight management.

PS: I love your dogs. Especially that little white one. Looks like a Lhaso Apso I once had (or maybe a Shih Tzu). :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If your seeing joint pain relief by just being low carb then ketosis isn’t that vital for you. The fact that you’ve lost 13 pounds already is awesome! So that proves that you don’t have to be in ketosis to lose weight!

If you do need ketosis for the joint pain relief I would really look at ingredients of everything you’re consuming. Some innocent looking “low carb” marketed foods could have ingredients that keep you out of ketosis and finding what that is would be the key to getting you there.

Otherwise keep on with what you’re doing because it seems to be working for you!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. In the past I'd get so hung up on getting into ketosis I'd be eating way too much fat and wouldn't lose weight. This time around I'm working more on meeting my protein goal and staying under my carbs and letting the fats fall where they may. Seems to be working ok so far. I won't worry about ketosis and concentrate more on low carb (but lower carb like ketosis)

@kpk54 Those are my babies!! The black one is Sam, my 14 year old jack Russell mix & the little one is my girl Franny. She's an 8 year old pug x shihtzu mix, honestly the sweetest girl ever. a little walking teddy bear <3