Balancing protein and fat

Options
I'm newish to keto and having trouble with limiting protein. The carb limitations are totally manageable, I keep hitting my protein and carb limits after lunchtime, and then have 500 calories left to consume with only fat grams left.

I'm 185#
5% fat (21g)
20% protein (83g)
75% fat (138g)
Total calorie goal 1660

For example, today it was 2 eggs, 3 oz ham, cheese and butter for breakfast. A can of tuna (6 oz) with mayo and cukes for lunch. I only have 5g of protein left but 43g of fat. WAY less protein at meals and a ton more fat? I don't feel like I'm overdoing the protein but maybe I am. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks community!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Protein is a minimum amount goal - you can go over, it's totally cool.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You can have more protein but you don’t have to hit your fat macro everyday. And if you aren’t hungry some days, don’t sweat the lower calorie intake because they will usually balance out with hungrier days.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is a very high protein breakfast.
    I would switch out one of your breakfast eggs to the egg whites and hold the cheese. That will give you protein for later.
    Also do you weigh your food? I have found that cans of tuna are not accurate. I would also back off a bit to 4-4 1/2 oz of tuna for lunch.
    See if that helps.
    I have found that the fat stops me from being hungry so if you find ^^^ is a problem have a cup of tea or coffee and put a tablespoon of butter in it.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something like this and you may have better success and even feel less hungry:

5% carbs
    40% protein
    55% fat

Protein should be hit or even exceeded daily. Fat is a limit up to satiety but not a target that needs to be hit. Protein/Fat can be moved around a bit to what you find best works for you but if your goal is ketosis and to get fat adapted keep that 5% carb limit as a strict goal for 7-8 weeks.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of talk online about too much protein causing insulin. However, I've heard Dr Hickman quote studies that show protein only causes insulin in SAD diets and not really a problem with low carb fat adapted people.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, you can hold back a couple of egg whites, leaving more yolks which is higher fat. That would cut protein a lil. Add more mayo or Olive oil to ur tuna salad. Have avocado as ur veggie if u wanna increase fat%. Make sure ur cheeses are as low carb as u can find, but not low fat. Have fattier cuts of meat
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful.