Depression has anyone used keto to cure

Options
I’m sorry slight duplicate post as I had asked about moods.

I thought my depression was completely hormone related as happened two weeks of the month. I am not enjoying my job too and family member is poorly so likely not helping but had put carbs back in the diet in case low carb was aggravating ( when I sat out carbs back this has led to bread binges!).

Probably the time of year I’m really suffering and keen to hear if anyone has alleviated theirs.

Replies

• THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I’m really new to this so am not a great one to comment, but I do feel generally more happy overall and got through my normal “witching period” much easier this month! Part of it I think is the feeling that I am making some positive changes for myself and also that my normal migraines have diminished so significantly.
  • ellybee__
    ellybee__ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also am new to keto but I am on week 2 and I feel like my mind is a but clearer and the depression has slightly subsided, I blame the winter as well, but I feel like most of my depression comes also because of my weight and being unhappy with myself. But I do feel very nice energy on keto
  • gimmekimchee_x
    gimmekimchee_x Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If im being honest I don't feel that keto helped with my depression but once I got back to exercising, that helped more than anything. It was hard to go back to it and im nowhere close to where I used to be, but I gotta start somewhere and running or even just walking on the treadmill altered my mood tremendously. And I think that staying on keto (or low carb) will help in the long run. Hope you find what works for you 😊
  • juststartedrunningagain
    juststartedrunningagain Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m really new to this so am not a great one to comment, but I do feel generally more happy overall and got through my normal “witching period” much easier this month! Part of it I think is the feeling that I am making some positive changes for myself and also that my normal migraines have diminished so significantly.
    Witching period 😂 I can completely relate. Thanks for sharing that’s encouraging - appreciate it is hard to know whether it’s a direct effect of keto. Amazing migraines have disappeared!
    Options
    If im being honest I don't feel that keto helped with my depression but once I got back to exercising, that helped more than anything. It was hard to go back to it and im nowhere close to where I used to be, but I gotta start somewhere and running or even just walking on the treadmill altered my mood tremendously. And I think that staying on keto (or low carb) will help in the long run. Hope you find what works for you 😊

Thanks gimmekimchee. I love running too- well I did. I used to fine if I got tired from exercise my mood could dip and sometimes I’d down found hard to exercise. My feeling down is undoubtedly hormonal related thought. How have you found your energy levels on keto?

Options
    elhana34 wrote: »
    I also am new to keto but I am on week 2 and I feel like my mind is a but clearer and the depression has slightly subsided, I blame the winter as well, but I feel like most of my depression comes also because of my weight and being unhappy with myself. But I do feel very nice energy on keto

This is great news elhana thank you for sharing and I hope you continue to see improvement. I’m so pleased you mentioned energy improvement. I am risk of overeating when I’m really tired so fingers crossed don’t get the dreaded keto flu! Well done you though for making the change 😀
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I work in the mental health field and being healthy in your mind and soul is so important! Sure it's seasonal and situational to feel depressed. I've battled depression on and off for 20 years. I know when I need to talk to my Dr about being on an antidepressant and I know when I'm doing well. Keto won't cure your depression but it can make you feel better! I sleep so good and I'm not in a fog like I am while eating carbs. I encourage you to express your feelings to your primary care provider <3
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree @Shannonigans84! Keto does improve overall mood but doesn’t cure depression. It’s still important to continue treatment with therapists (I do) or psychiatric professionals to be monitored by them. Clinical depression isn’t something you just overcome. It takes intense, continued therapy to treat this.

Even the decrease in my pain levels that have been wonderful haven’t been a cure for the fibromyalgia, cervical dystonia, and migraines that I suffer from. I still require treatment for these disorders just as one would for depression, or any other mental disorder too.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the last two posts. As a lifelong chronic pain suffer and the resulting depression that goes along with it I can tell you that keto alone won't cure it. Sure, it might help a bit but don't expect something magical. I'm still a nightmare to be around in real life as I'm a sarcastic and mildly misanthropic person and bad pain days make it hard to contain. There's a reason my real life friends compare me to Dr. House. I even have the limp to go along with it. :p

• rashadlc
    rashadlc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with Manic depression in which she WAS taking medication for. This was an ongoing issue ever since middle school. We couldn't figure out anything. But recently I've seen huge improvements with her energy levels which helped her depression by eliminating sugar and carbs. She's not all the way keto, but the elimination of sugar/carbs alone has helped her to eliminate the need for medication. There are several studies that show the link to lower cholesterol can cause depression. It's also in a book i'm reading called The Great Cholesterol Myth by Johnny Bowden & Stephen Sinatra.