Carbs and Fiber

Options
Fivepts
Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
I am really having a hard time staying under 30 carbs. I am a small person and need to lose 40lbs. I was wondering if I should subtract the fiber from my carbs. One ounce of oatmeal or a small mandarin orange usually blows the day for me.

Replies

• IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So many carbs in everything it is tough to stay under. Many people here subtract fiber to help.
    I track everything in an effort to keep myself more accountable.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are lifting weights, so you will probably find that you can have more carbs on lifting day and stay in ketosis.

Also, yes, you can subtract fiber...particularly when it's from a whole food source like oatmeal or oranges, you aren't really digesting that fiber anyway.
  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is an add on to myfitnesspal located here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348436/enhancing-mfp-displays-for-low-carb#latest

It adds a column for net carbs that you may find useful.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason for eating only 30 grams of carbs? Oatmeal and mandarines are generally seen by many as a decent food source for a low carbohydrate diet. I lost 60 pounds eating steel cut oats nearly every morning.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you do want to stay in ketosis you could always test ketones or BG around those foods to see how they affect you. Some do great with them, while others do not.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Fivepts I just use the 50 grams of carbs daily. Most of my carb grams that I eat comes is 50% or more grams of fiber but I do not count most of the time but I enjoy my boring way of eating. I fix most of my own stuff since I am the only one of our family of 4 that eats keto but over the past 4 years I notice they are more carb 'aware' now and someone is leaving tracks in my jar of coconut oil. :)

I joked recently I wanted a German chocolate cake for my birthday and my daughter said it would make me feel bad again and my wife chimed in 'and we would have to live with the old mean Gale too'. Keto taking away most of my pain over time makes me easier to live with I know.

Just keep trucking and you will be fine. My first 90 days was like crazy and four years later I am still learning how best to do keto.