Kicked out of Ketosis?

Options
Lucy17128
Lucy17128 Posts: 53 Member
Hello there. I've been following the Keto plan for 5 weeks now. I haven't had any cheat meals yet, and try to stay as close to 25 net carbs per day as I can. I did buy strips to monitor where I'm at and a couple of weeks ago I tested at "high/large" keto. Today, I tested at negative - no Ketosis. I looked at the last five days of eating and averaged 27 net carbs per day. Is that really too high to get kicked out of ketosis? I've heard some people stay in going up to 50. Is it dependent on each individual? Nevertheless I decided to fast 24 hours today to get back. Any other reasons to get kicked out?

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Lots of reasons you can go out of ketosis but how about another theory? You have crossed the line and are now fat adapted and if that is the case: Congrats :smiley:

https://perfectketo.com/fat-adapted/
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Yep, what @qweck3 said... Once we're fat-adapted we only test "trace" on the strips...
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Blood monitoring is better than urine strips, but only good if you are a numbers geek once you're fat-adapted otherwise it's kind of expensive
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Lucy17128 wrote: »
    Hello there. I've been following the Keto plan for 5 weeks now. I haven't had any cheat meals yet, and try to stay as close to 25 net carbs per day as I can. I did buy strips to monitor where I'm at and a couple of weeks ago I tested at "high/large" keto. Today, I tested at negative - no Ketosis. I looked at the last five days of eating and averaged 27 net carbs per day. Is that really too high to get kicked out of ketosis? I've heard some people stay in going up to 50. Is it dependent on each individual? Nevertheless I decided to fast 24 hours today to get back. Any other reasons to get kicked out?

Urine ketones are not a good indicator. Once adapted, you won't be spilling any even when in ketosis. Fasting isn't the solution, even if you were out. Time is the solution.
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh- so this is most likely good news!!!! Thank you for responding everyone. I’ve been wondering how long it takes to get fat adapted. I’ve still got the energy, am losing inches and have almost no cravings so I think that’s it.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is the point your body becomes very efficient at using fat for fuel especially when you are fasting. An RMR test would confirm your exactly percents but based on the statement above I'm almost 100% sure that you are at least 51% fat burner 49% sugar burner now. I'd suggest you keep doing what you are doing for a little while more as you could be just over the line but you should be able to start slowly bringing the carbs up if you want to shortly.

Congrats! The hard work has paid off!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    “Ketosis is an ephemeral state. It takes very little to make it disappear. Fat adaptation, on the other hand, is a much hardier state. You have to work to undo it.”

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard2.html?m=1