What do you do apart from swimming?

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hi everyone

Keen to know what other training people do. I am going to be doing my first ever aquathon in October so am going to need to start running. I also want to get a LOT stronger (for a competitive swimmer I am a complete weakling) so hope to get some good gym training in as we hit our winter here now.

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    *googles aquathon*

oh wow I want to do one!! (I can't ride a bike so triathalons have always been a no no) :D
    what distances are in yours?

I have recently (8 months ago actually, wow) started running, Couch to 5K then training plan for half marathon which is in 4 weeks (eek).

I love stronglifts 5x5 for my weight lifting as well but that has taken a back seat to running training. When I started and stuck with it though there were some impressive gains and muscles appearing!
    I really noticed that the 5x5 compound lifts seemed to help my swimming too - general strength helps my kick etc

Pilates is being introduceed as well - I am trying for 20mins each night but somehow it seems so hard to lie on floor in front of tv rather than lie on sofa. Working on it though, and that helps my core for running and swimming.

I also play squash every now and again - less so, cos of, you guessed it! running training. My knee is a bit dicey so I don't want to make it deal with squash and running right now.

Wow, ramble.
    But between swimming and running, I have noticed that doing breathing drills in the pool have really helped my running in that I don't get stitch anywhere near as often, and when I finish a 10 mile run I am not out of breath. My legs ached etc but I wasn't gasping, which was nice :) And on the flip side, running regularly has helped my kick and 'balance' (is that the right term) in the pool! :D complimentary exercises for the win!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I think the aquathon is a 750m swim and 5km run.

Need to hit the road and get running!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm training to climb Mt. St. Helens, our neighborhood volcano here in the Pacific NW of the US. I did it three years ago, and while it was *really* challenging, I was in great shape, so it was a good experience (I hesitate to write "it was fun" because 13.5 hours of climbing/hiking in 95F heat isn't really fun...).

I thought back to what I was doing at that time to prepare, and it was deep water fitness class, swimming laps and running 2x a week. I trail run because it just feels better. This time, I'm also doing some training hikes. We have so many mountains and spectacular hikes in this area, I haven't really taken advantage of them.

I always say I need to start lifting heavy, but then I never start. I should. It's nothing but good stuff. I do notice that my three activities all complement each other, like beerfoamy said. An aquathon sounds great! I really dislike cycling!
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I swim 3x a week, run 2x a week, do cycling spin class 2x a week, and body weight strength training (squats, lunges, pushups, plank, situps, and so on whenever I can squeeze it in).

I wish I had time for doing more focused strength training/ weight lifting, but there are only so many hours in the day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 2-3x and walk daily.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I swim, then swim some more, the go back to swimming again. :D
    No running for me. Arthritis in my feet.
    I do weight room stuff from time to time. Need to get more regular with that again.
    I also do an occasional spinning class.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Updated to add: I just got a bike so now I’m biking for the first time in 35 years. Plan to do a tri sprint next year. I did the swim leg of a tri relay this summer and got hooked!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    When I'm in China, I hit the right room 3 days a week in the morning before work. Upper body, core, then legs. Stairs suck on leg day. :D
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I started a lifting program a month ago (finally!). I mentioned it to one of our water cardio instructors just before a 2-week pool closure, and he said I needed to get off my butt and get going. He said he was going to check back in with me when the pool opened. That's all the accountability I needed! It's going great. I really enjoy it. I'm not lifting "heavy," but it's all heavy enough for me, and the trainer I hired to write up a program for me wrote it taking into account my goals, so I'm happy with it for now.
  • SwimMighty
    SwimMighty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of dry land strength training, and mix in hiking and some biking. But nothing is as awesome as swimming. 😁
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I have decided to add at least one set of assisted pullups every time I go to the gym to swim or hit the weight room.
    This week I finally did 10 with less than 50% assist.
    Never, in my 58 years, have I done even I proper unassisted pullup. So if can get to that, it would be historic.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    SwimMighty wrote: »
    I do a lot of dry land strength training, and mix in hiking and some biking. But nothing is as awesome as swimming. 😁

I really don't like feeling the sweat when I'm I'm the weight room. I drip like I was out in a pouring rain.
    Much prefer swimming. :)
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Running and dumbbells.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Ride a bicycle.
  • Stormtrooper101
    Stormtrooper101 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I run, bike, and do strength workouts outside of swim. Just be catious with how you balance everything! Especially with strength training, you have to be careful on how much strain and pressure you’re putting on your body.

Not too long ago, I tried to increase the weight on a deadlift and, in one session, almost completely wrecked my back. This was almost 2 months ago, and I’m still working on getting it back to normal. It just goes to show that you need to be careful!

But in all honesty, anyone who is looking to add something to their workout just needs to find a combination of different activities that work for them.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot - with the dog. (He’s the main reason I got out of the habit if swimming.)

And I do yoga - nowadays pretty much daily. The daily yoga is great for your mood etc and it has really increased my flexibility and reduced muscle tension. And improved my posture.

Hams, hips and shoulders all much happier ....

And the bike gets an occasional workout too...
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Eat, sleep and try to look mean and busy so no one bothers me.

Wait, no, I don't do that last part. I smile a lot and look like I'm crazy.
    😊