breakfast

Options
KristaMac88
KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
So i am on my third week of keto. I lost 8lbs my first week and a half. Then went up two, then back down 1 and now were really slow moving. I get after the initial water weight that can happen. But besides being scale discouraged, im starting to want to gag over the thought of eating eggs of any kind for breakfast anymore after 3 straight weeks of eggs. I get up before the rest of my family so a loud *kitten* blender or clunking pots and pans in the morning cant happen. I also try 3 days a week to get up at 5am to go to the gym. I am looking for new breakfast ideas that I can make the night before, or quickly grab and go, through in a gym bag, and eat after i get to work. What are you all eating for breakfast?? Would making a batch of keto friendly pancakes and bringing them 2 or 3 days a week and having my reg eggs the other days be okay? I know normal pancakes and syrup would be aloooott of carbs and sugar but is keto with sugar free syrup okay to have 2 a couple morning a week?? with maybe pre cooked bacon or sausage?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a hurry I usually go for canned chicken/tuna and some greens/dressing. Or meat sticks!

I don't eat breakfast, just lunch, but you can have lunch or dinner foods for breakfast, it doesn't have to be standard breakfast foods.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    Thats a good point!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Subway has a chopped salad that is low carb that you can get done for breakfast. Put whatever protein you want in it. Sometimes I do egg whites others chicken.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    oohh interesting. That could be a good option for the days i go to the gym and forget to grab something. They are like 2 doors down from my gym. I just associate subway with thick carby buns and deliciouussss cookies aha
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use to as well until I tried their salad and was like wow this is pretty decent and low in carbs.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, you could make up a wrap before going. Today I did roast chicken slice, mayo, mustard, pepper, cheese, and layered that, then rolled. I've done wraps with lettuce shells, or lettuce on the insides. They hold up pretty well, are good fat/protein/carb and are relatively cheap and simple to make. I've never been one to consider breakfast a meal that only is for breakfast-y items.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person and barely awake by lunch time most days so I rarely have anything other than coffee, which I'm currently sipping on as I write this. However on occasion I do whip up some bacon or a quick ham & cheese omelette. But if you're sick of eggs then my go-to quick things are tuna salad, bacon, or some sort of fresh low carb salad in general.
    I've never been one to consider breakfast a meal that only is for breakfast-y items.

This right here. One of my favorite things I always seem to forget to mention is hot wings. Not sure where you live but where I currently reside there's Publix right now the road a ways and they make some mighty fine non-breaded wings and about every other week they're on sale. Two containers of wings for 12 bucks isn't terrible for 40 wings and each pack is something like 1200 calories.

Another thing I like to make is homemade taco salads without any sort of tortillas/taco shells. I do mine on a bed of diced romaine and add all sorts of wonderful toppings - cheese, black olives, full fat sour cream, avocado, a bit of tomato, a bit of fresh onion, etc. And then tonight I'll be having a simple meal of kielbasa and sauerkraut. Yes, sauerkraut has a bit of carbs in it but if you watch the portion it's fine and the stuff is pretty good for you. I'm also fond of cabbage and kielbasa as well.
    When I'm in a hurry I usually go for canned chicken/tuna

While I love canned tuna there is not enough seasoning in the universe to make canned chicken palatable to me. It's like super sweet foods, an instant queasy stomach thing for me as soon as I get a whiff of the stuff. Believe me, I've tried. And I love super weird food, too, so I dunno what the deal is with it. Even dosing it up with things like wing sauce or sriracha doesn't cut it. :/

• KristaMac88
    Options
    aha canned fish or chicken i dont do. Nor avocados..or sauerkraut.. or olives..or onion. But thank you aha I realize now im way to picky of an eater to be asking these kind of questions aha
  • leahk80
    leahk80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I buy a rotisserie chicken and divide it up..3 to 4 oz per serving. You can make anything..chicken salad: 1 or 2 tbsp mayo, mustard to taste, stir it up with the chicken. You can eat it that way or put it in a lettuce wrap or on celery. Had that this morning for breakfast, though I did add a hard boiled egg to it, you can also add garlic and onion powder to it. its really good... You also could make up a keto smoothie the night before and freeze it for the next day, though that might work better for lunch so it has time to thaw. Hope you find something that works!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    good...all you people NOT buying canned meats should keep the demand and prices right where they are which is nice and low...

:D

Yes, canned chicken is sweet, then I add in sweet relish and tarragon to really accent the sweetness...my husband prefers it with tumeric and cumin, but that makes it more like a grilled chicken flavor...

I would much rather have REAL chicken, which is cheaper and tastier, but when there isn't any left, the canned version is way better than nothing on my salad!!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I know you said no eggs but perhaps some egg/muffins or "egg cups". I'd suggest an omelet which can always be different but that takes time that you might not have. So pre-make some muffins maybe? https://www.ketoconnect.net/bacon-egg-cups/

I often eat leftovers for breakfast and purposely make extra to have leftovers for breakfast or lunch. Also I can fit the carbs of plain Greek yogurt into my day. Also cottage cheese. But I focus on 50 versus 20 carbs.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    This does not really fit the gym bag requirement, but I sometimes have leftovers from the night before. This morning it was pork tenderloin. It is cooked and ready to go. A chicken leg quarter is good. You just have to have the foresight to make sure you cook an extra one. I have made meatloaf in a muffin tin thingy before. Those make for nice 2 oz meat muffins you could put in a baggie.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What's breakfast. I find if I workout in a fasted state I have both more energy and stamina. The only time I eat breakfast is on the weekend, it's a treat for me on lazy days when I have the time and patience to make something I really want 😊
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    One of my favorite things for breakfast is a Keto Nut Granola from a Keto cookbook I bought on Kindle. "The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners."

I go to Whole Foods or any store that has nuts and seeds you can buy in bulk, since it's so much cheaper than prepackaged, and I make a couple of batches at a time. This is a great breakfast with almond or coconut milk when I miss cereal. It's also a great snack when I am traveling; I just toss some in a snack bag and bring it in the car or on a flight. For a really decadent, and slightly higher carb treat, I use this as a topping on plain full fat Greek yogurt. It's super thick and creamy and keeps me full for hours.

2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
    1 cup sliced almonds
    1 cup raw sunflower seeds
    ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
    ½ cup walnuts
    ½ cup melted coconut oil
    10 drops liquid stevia
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    (**I add a few drops of vanilla extract. I think mixing in cocoa powder to make a chocolate version would be amazing, too!**)

1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
    2. Toss together the shredded coconut, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts in a large bowl until mixed.
    3. In a small bowl, stir together the coconut oil, stevia, cinnamon, and nutmeg until blended.
    4. Pour the coconut oil mixture into the nut mixture and use your hands to blend until the nuts are very well coated.
    5. Transfer the granola mixture to the baking sheets and spread it out evenly.
    6. Bake the granola, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is golden brown and crunchy, about 1 hour.
    7. Transfer the granola to a large bowl and let the granola cool, tossing it frequently to break up the large pieces.
    8. Store the granola in airtight containers in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 1 month.

Makes 8 servings (I estimate it's around 3.75oz per serving, but just divide it by 8 to see what it makes for you)

PER SERVING Calories: 391; Fat: 38g; Protein: 10g; Carbs: 10g; Fiber: 6g; Net Carbs: 4g; Fat 80%/Protein 10%/Carbs 10%

• Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You could have a bulletproof coffee as a meal replacement or try intermittent fasting and not eat until lunch. It frees up time, saves money and goes well with Keto, since the plan makes you less hungry.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    itzcath wrote: »
    What's breakfast. I find if I workout in a fasted state I have both more energy and stamina. The only time I eat breakfast is on the weekend, it's a treat for me on lazy days when I have the time and patience to make something I really want 😊

I do workout in a fasted state.. but im up at 5, at the gym by 7 and at work by 830. So by 930, specially smelling everyone else heating up breakfast items im starvinggg lol
  • karenflrz
    karenflrz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This morning I made beef kielbasa sauteed with onions, and peppers and at that with slice avocado and a little cheese. Although not everyone's idea of breakfast, I enjoyed it very much
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    karenflrz wrote: »
    This morning I made beef kielbasa sauteed with onions, and peppers and at that with slice avocado and a little cheese. Although not everyone's idea of breakfast, I enjoyed it very much

That looks like a great breakfast to me!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    m1x8v3c2phcy.jpg

This has been my go to! I make all sorts of sandwiches with it. You could keep some in the fridge and fry it up when you're ready to eat. I use butter to toast it in a skillet. I do egg and cheese, use bacon or sausage, I omit the syrup and add parsley and garlic salt for other sandwiches like hot ham and cheese and blts. It's been a lifesaver! So versatile and delicious.