4 weeks in, down 8.8 lbs, and now a "cheat" What food would you cheat on?

Options
mkrefting
mkrefting Posts: 20 Member
I weighed today, 4 weeks in, and was down 8.8 lbs in 4 weeks. (I have A LOT to lose). Tonight I came home and had my steak, some butter onions, and alas, lettuce salad/ranch with a few croutons AND some glazed pecans with cranberries in the salad. Been CRAVING croutons (and pecans with cranberries)! I don't feel that bad about it, at least I didn't eat 4 Big Mac's, and I know I will never be able to do with *NO* carbs. My son is coming in 2 weeks and asked me to "please stay on this until I get there, then we will carb out for a day". I started thinking of all the foods to "carb out" on for a day, but all I can come up with is a bite of pancakes with syrup, a bite of bread, a bite of an ice cream sundae, a beer, pecans and raisens or cranberries in salad. What would you eat on a carb out meal if you were assured you wouldn't gain weight? Just for fun...........

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We do a sushi-date with a friend every other month or so. Even so, it's not a complete carb blowout. Usually have only a few carby things, and the rest of it is sashimi etc. So that's our 'carb cheat' thing.

Also incase you don't already know this, you may see a weight spike the day after you 'carb out'. It's pretty much all water, so don't panic or anything.

I might not have the science terms right, but basically every gram of glucose takes four grams of water to store, so it's not unusual to see like a several-pounds increase on the scale the day after. That will flush back out of your system over the next couple days once you go back to lowcarb again.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've never been keen on substitutions so it would likely be something Asian with real rice or Italian with real pasta.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My cheat is usually something social...like going out for sushi with friends...or having pizza because someone is moving and that's what they are feeding everyone...those rare situations where I simply am not in charge of the food and I don't want to take the time to plan my own thing.
  • Genmon02
    Genmon02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A flour tortilla!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @Violet_Flux you're so very right. I haven't been drinking and I had two tequilas Sunday night which I believe is what lead to the scale pissing me off Monday morning. :D Usually I'm very level headed about those things but that scale came dangerously close to being thrown out the window. I didn't really want to replace the glass in the window though.......
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I made about 12 pounds of carnitas over the weekend and while I was tempted to have a couple corn tortillas I managed to resist and just ate the meat by itself. But on occasion I do have a random cheat meal, generally something Asian.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a food reward mindset. That won’t serve you well long term.
    You will also probably end up making yourself really sick.

I second this.

This isn't a "diet-as-a-verb" (as in "to diet," as in temporary crash thing). This is a lifestyle change. As I recall, there are a number of links in the Launch Pad that talk about this. I highly recommend perusing them.

That's not to say that you can never ever ever changes or never ever ever have off-plan foods/meals. However, the dangerous part of "cheat meals/days" is the mindset it fosters.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Sunny_Bunny_ and Dragonwolf. If I "carb out" for any reason, I pay for it the next day. Headaches, indigestion, bloating, brain fog, fatigue. . . any or all of those can happen.
  • mkrefting
    mkrefting Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I actually read up on this WOE a few months before I started. Looking at diets, from low fat, to low carb, etc. This one seemed to be the one that would benefit me at THIS point in my life. I was a fat teen, started WW with gramma, got bulimia from HS to college, got married, pregnant, quit the bulimia, lost weight on my own after 4 kids and then alas, NOW. I realize I will NEVER be the No carb or Low carb person, but I cut myself off for 4 weeks to keto, and did attain Keto. I was HUNGRY! STILL! So the other night I added some nuts and cranberries and a couple croutons. I felt like a million bucks! I also lost 3 pounds almost! In 2 days! So, I am going to "up" my carbs (total) to 50, so I can be "full". I think I have to do a menu on my own, because my story is so "different" from anyone else's. My heart is in it, but I can't be "hungry" and make it for the rest of my life. Thanks all.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    @mkrefting You are absolutely correct that you have to find what works for you. I didn't mean to suggest that you can't or shouldn't eat what you want to, or have a "cheat" now and then. I was just expressing what works/doesn't work for me.

Enjoy your time with your son!
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mkrefting wrote: »
    I actually read up on this WOE a few months before I started. Looking at diets, from low fat, to low carb, etc. This one seemed to be the one that would benefit me at THIS point in my life. I was a fat teen, started WW with gramma, got bulimia from HS to college, got married, pregnant, quit the bulimia, lost weight on my own after 4 kids and then alas, NOW. I realize I will NEVER be the No carb or Low carb person, but I cut myself off for 4 weeks to keto, and did attain Keto. I was HUNGRY! STILL! So the other night I added some nuts and cranberries and a couple croutons. I felt like a million bucks! I also lost 3 pounds almost! In 2 days! So, I am going to "up" my carbs (total) to 50, so I can be "full". I think I have to do a menu on my own, because my story is so "different" from anyone else's. My heart is in it, but I can't be "hungry" and make it for the rest of my life. Thanks all.

50g is still considered a very low carb diet by many researchers. My OBGYN suggested a "very low carb diet" to me as part of my IVF treatment and I was amazed that the suggestion was to eat 80-100g carbs per day! I eat 40g per day which is a nice level for me as I'm vegetarian.

As for 'cheat' days - yep, they happen. I've booked into a very special Italian restaurant in March where I will be enjoying homemade bread, pasta and tiramisu!

Otherwise, if I could I'd eat a fresh croissant!

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto, I had the intention of taking an occasional day day off from it. In the church we have feast days and fast days. This is what I knew. In 2016, I decided to observe a "feast" with an apple fritter. My BG went high and two hours later was in the high 180's. That was the first and last time to "take a break." I am T2D, and the cheat day for me is just sabotage.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffet, hands down
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Good rice.... arborio, brown basmati, jasmine, red, forbidden (black) rice.
    I MISS my rice most.
    But I agree with the others... if you are deciding to have higher carbs, don't go crazy...just choose the most favorite things to have, then hop back on the wagon right away or soon it will be 10 lbs heavier, and you'll be feeling bloated and icky. *ask me how I know*
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    No cheating.