Some advice needed, I'm unwell

Options
Smaya29
Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
edited February 2019 in Social Groups
Hi,
I've been staying under 30g (some days under 20g or 10g) of carbs since last 10 days. Been doing great while staying under my calorie goal. I just got a very very painful sore throat yesterday. Its especially painful and feels like I have a lump stuck in the node. I have to spit it out or drink warm water/ greent tea to get rid of it every other hour. I thought it was the keto flu. But now I'm sneezing and feeling pretty crappy. Wondering if I can take Tylenol. Because I am beginning to think it's a cold.

EDIT: I have been keeping myself hydrated but didn't drink much water during the daytime on Wednesday. I added lemon juice and salt to warm water and drank it. I'm taking salt in my food or drink (a dash).

Replies

• Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that Tylenol has any carbs in it. Sounds like a cold to me, rather than the Keto flu.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do what you need. If you need a medicine and it has some carbs, I would just roll with it unless you need high ketones for health reasons. An extra 5, 10 or 20 g carbs in a day is not often a problem.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Smaya29 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been staying under 30g (some days under 20g or 10g) of carbs since last 10 days. Been doing great while staying under my calorie goal. I just got a very very painful sore throat yesterday. Its especially painful and feels like I have a lump stuck in the node. I have to spit it out or drink warm water/ greent tea to get rid of it every other hour. I thought it was the keto flu. But now I'm sneezing and feeling pretty crappy. Wondering if I can take Tylenol. Because I am beginning to think it's a cold.

EDIT: I have been keeping myself hydrated but didn't drink much water during the daytime on Wednesday. I added lemon juice and salt to warm water and drank it. I'm taking salt in my food or drink (a dash).

Sounds like a cold to me. If you are wondering if you can take Tylenol due to carbs this might help in your decision making:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/263139/tab4/

Me? If it helped me with a cold, I'd take it whether it had carbs or not...unless my reason for eating a ketogenic diet were medically related (such as for epilepsy).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Take what ever medication you need.

Also, try gargling some ACV to help with the sore throat and stay very hydrated.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about what's in medication if I'm taking it for a short term thing like a cold.

There are lots of excellent low carb soups that I enjoy when I'm feeling under the weather.
    Easy on the throat and stomach and comforting. These two are good ones:

https://tasty-lowcarb.com/low-carb-egg-drop-soup/ (I make a version of this)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/french-onion-soup (I skip the cheese if I'm not feeling amazing when I make this)
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Yes, seems like a cold. I'll take the Tylenol and drink some soup.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink some salty chicken broth. Warm salt water gargle can help with the throat too. It does sound like you have a cold and not Keto flu. I hope you feel better quick!

Also, vitaminC is a great immune system booster. I take it everyday and I highly recommend it since we are exposed to bugs everywhere we go nowadays!