Exercise and fasting

Options
Hi! I have been doing keto and 16:8 IF since November. I recently started working out with a trainer at the gym. We do resistance training and then I do cardio.

Typically, I go in the afternoon, after I've begun eating. Today (and Monday), my schedule is forcing me to go in the morning. I typically drink a protein shake after my workout. Just wondering if I should do that even though I'm fasting. Should I wait until my eating window opens or just go ahead?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• maddog1769
    maddog1769 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do not break my fast for exercise. I am 18/6 eater and occasionally do 24-48 hour fasts and still exercise intensely. So I would wait until your window opens, The autophagy benefits are great when exercising in the last few hours of your fast period
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I exercise fasted pretty regularly...I did have about a 3 week time period where my performance sucked and I really had to struggle...extra salt seemed to help...but then everything adapted and now it's totally cool.
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thank you both! I thought I knew the answer but I wanted to be sure.