Protein/Fat Percentages

What protein and fat percentages work best for you to lose? I know they say to eat less fat if you want to lose fat on your body and to make sure you eat your protein number. However if you’re not hungry do you make yourself eat your protein amount? Any thoughts on this would be great. Readjusting my macros to Start seeing results again

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I lost most of my body fat with: 10% carb/45% protein/45% fat but I workout a lot and have issues with losing muscle mass without high protein.

I'm doing an adjusted macro test right now of 10% carb/30% protein/60% fat with a 16/8 IF and so far so good.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I'm at 63.7% fat, and 34.2% protein today. I feel great eating around 60-65 and 30-35 protein. Although I am fat adapted. I did less protein when I was just losing and not working out and still have the weight come off at 70/25/5, which is what I started at and lost a ton of weight at before I switched calcs and went to another focus to add in biking.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Today so far I'm sitting at 59.5% protein, 35.1% fat, 5.4% carbs. But I'm still a bit light on calories for the day so I'll scrounge up something for a snack before it gets too late this evening.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    When I want to lose I’m 75% , 20%, protein, & 5% carbs.

I always felt that when I wasn’t hungry I didn’t force myself to meet any macro. The days that I’m not hungry will always even out will some hungrier days during a month. The only time I would ever worry about not being hungry is if the days continued on, but that’s not likely to happen due to hormone fluctuations...

In maintenance I’m at 65% fat, 30%, protein, and 5% carbs. I haven’t found where I can increase carbs and not gain weight. So I keep them at the 5%.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Just an idea:
    Use this website to get your bodyfat
    https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Use this calculator to figure out your macros:
    https://calculo.io/keto-calculator

Tick "expert" in the calc, set net carbs to 20, untick expert. Enter your info, use those numbers. I used Ruled.me's calc for months and lost, but I feel much better on the calculo keto calc macros. Ruledme's had so much fat to eat.

Of course, Age, hormones, general health, and so many other things mean your experience probably won't be the same as mine. Hope it helps!
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks! Is is true, that it is not needed to keep fat at the typical keto 70-75% for ultimate loss. And to always eat your protein number even if your not hungry. Can you guys touch on these things and how you lost on/around these things? I am nowhere near what my protein number says I should be at when I play with these calculators. (Nor was I, when I lost previously) However, when I do try to up my protein just to reach that magic #, my fat sky rockets, when I would rather loose it off my body. lol Any Insights please?
  • Can I be really stupid do you all calculate your total kcalories then the kcal coming from fat and work out as a percentage?
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'd suggest skinless chicken breast. You can get a 7 pound container at Sams Club for around 1.66 a pound so price wise not bad and is enough to last at least a week+ if you are moderate protein. Grill/Bake the entire pack and have a chicken breast as a snack etc. It is high protein and very low in fat.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Can I be really stupid do you all calculate your total kcalories then the kcal coming from fat and work out as a percentage?

Not sure exactly what you are asking but I always recommend to ignore percentages. They change the amount of macro in grams as the kcals go up or down. The 70% for 1500 cal is less than that for 2000 cals. Sure they can be analyzed by MFP or calulators to show what percent of your diet is what. But I've found it's not worth wasting brain power on.

Carbs are a ceiling in grams.
    Protein is a minimum range in grams you strive to meet.
    Fat fills up the rest of your calories.

Percentages mean NOTHING unless you are doing a therapeutic ketogenic diet for epilepsy or other neurological condition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2019
    I try to keep protein over 70g and aim for 100g. When losing it was 20-35% depending on the day, usually closer to 20%. At maintenance, my protein is 15-25%.

I struggle to get enough protein because I dont overly enjoy lean meat. I tend to add protein powder to my coffee and try to get in a few cans of seafood a week to help address that. I basically eat as a carnivore now, and I doubt my protein gets above 25% too often, even with carbs at almost zero.
  • baconslave wrote: »
    Can I be really stupid do you all calculate your total kcalories then the kcal coming from fat and work out as a percentage?

Not sure exactly what you are asking but I always recommend to ignore percentages. They change the amount of macro in grams as the kcals go up or down. The 70% for 1500 cal is less than that for 2000 cals. Sure they can be analyzed by MFP or calulators to show what percent of your diet is what. But I've found it's not worth wasting brain power on.

Carbs are a ceiling in grams.
    Protein is a minimum range in grams you strive to meet.
    Fat fills up the rest of your calories.

Percentages mean NOTHING unless you are doing a therapeutic ketogenic diet for epilepsy or other neurological condition.

Thank you! I wasn’t clear was I. I suppose I meant (probably checking my math) do you calculate everything you eat. Ie this meal is so many kcal and then work out the carb fat and protein percentage? Of each meal (as that sounds like a bit of a challenge for every meal- well to em!).

So I like your description thank you. I am not epileptic but I was hoping to reduce my insatiable appetite, hormones and low mood... all of which I’ve heard keto can help with.
  • mrsskinny629
    mrsskinny629 Posts: 96 Member
    Just an idea:
    Use this website to get your bodyfat
    https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Use this calculator to figure out your macros:
    https://calculo.io/keto-calculator

Tick "expert" in the calc, set net carbs to 20, untick expert. Enter your info, use those numbers. I used Ruled.me's calc for months and lost, but I feel much better on the calculo keto calc macros. Ruledme's had so much fat to eat.

Of course, Age, hormones, general health, and so many other things mean your experience probably won't be the same as mine. Hope it helps!

thank you for that body fat link! I was surprised to see I have dropped 10.5% body fat since 12/31! that's amazing.