Keto and Cycle

Options
arialb122
arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
I have been doing keto, per my MD recommenedation for Migraines, since November. I have lost a little weight (15lbs.) and still have about 20 to go to goal. I have adapted well and my migraines are now gone. Today, I noticed some (moderate) breakthrough bleeding. My cycle is very regular, I am not on BC, not pregnant, and 35 years old. Could Keto being doing something to my reproductive organs? I am not overly concerned, just curious!

Replies

• randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Were your migraines hormone related? While your body is adapting to the keto way of eating, it can cause changes and fluctuations in your hormones. I am not a doctor and if you are concerned check with them, but it sounds like your body is just working on regulating itself. I have experienced something similar when starting keto (but I have PCOS and I am never regular)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Also, excess estrogen can be stored in fat cells, so as you lose weight (regardless of how) it can throw hormones off balance temporarily.
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @arialb122 I noticed this too, around mid cycle, so it may be ovulation bleeding...?

@randomgyrl Have you noticed any PCOS related benefits so far?
  • Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I’m having same issues. Started keto at the beginning of January. I am almost 5 months postpartum and last month had my first cycle. Now 2 weeks later I am having spotting, when I’m supposed to be ovulating. I originally chalked it up to my body just trying to adjust to having my cycle back, but after reading the replies I’m wondering if it has to do with the diet? I’m 34 and FOR SURE not pregnant, 4 is enough for me!
  • arialb122
    Options
    @arialb122 I noticed this too, around mid cycle, so it may be ovulation bleeding...?

That's what I am hoping, it's just never happened before so I was thrown off!
  • arialb122
    Options
    Figaver wrote: »
    I’m having same issues. Started keto at the beginning of January. I am almost 5 months postpartum and last month had my first cycle. Now 2 weeks later I am having spotting, when I’m supposed to be ovulating. I originally chalked it up to my body just trying to adjust to having my cycle back, but after reading the replies I’m wondering if it has to do with the diet? I’m 34 and FOR SURE not pregnant, 4 is enough for me![/quote

I am guessing 4 keeps you very busy! It seems like a strange side effect, but if others are experiencing it, that makes me feel a lot better!
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @Everyonelies I can't say for certain that keto is helping specific problems, yet. I will say though, that overall I feel better, I have more energy and I don't have the midday slumps I used to.