New to the group.

Options
fit_chickx
fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
I’m so glad I found this group

Why do I binge? I don’t deal with intense emotions. I have done everything to avoid them for years. Bingeing has been my coping skill.

I stress/emotional eat, feel guilt, shame, make excuses for food choices, obsess with the scale, fear weight gain, exercise to compensate and use denial to avoid reality of my behavior.

I don’t share or talk about the things that led me to binge eating. Here is the ugly truth. I grew up with a dysfunctional family, emotional and physical abuse, violent crime victim and repeated trauma from working in a close custody prison. With therapy, I have been out of these patterns of crazy for a long time. My life is mundane, peaceful and normal....... But my past still haunts me.

I honestly thought weight loss and turning to fitness would cure my binge eating. I’ve lost a whole bunch of weight and became a distance runner. It didn’t solve my issues.

Ok, off my chest, ready to deal and find recovery.

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best in finding your path to recovery.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • NiceGuySF
    NiceGuySF Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. there's not a lot of activity outside of the Me vs. the Binge threads, but those threads are special. With just a few numbers, you can share your successes and setbacks... and even without comments, people are here to understand and support (since we've all been there).
  • Rockin_reese
    Rockin_reese Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    So I tried to take charge of my eating 3 days ago and fell off the wagon twice.
    I see most food and I want it. Especially if it's sweet.
    I'm 19 now, but as a toddler my mother was preoccupied by her own bad habits, so I was left to go into the kitchen myself, and at some point I was scared that there might not be food, I don't remember all the details. Now I can't stand feeling hungry, which means I spend most of my time either eating or staring at the clock obsessing over the next meal.
  • 8purplesnails
    8purplesnails Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm just the same, can't ever stop thinking about long it's going to be until I can eat again. Always hungry, no matter how much I eat. I know at least some of my problems come from my deep love of sugar.
  • vickysm959
    vickysm959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd comment in here as I feel like I've started overcoming my binge eating.

I've had ED tendencies for years, but feel like I'm breaking out of the thought patterns & cycles I've been stuck in. I think a big part of it is the fear of not having enough food (which stems from a period of time when I was anorexic)...

I started to change the way I think about food after watching The Walking Dead which might sound stupid, but the characters in it don't have a consistent or adequate amount of food (because it's the zombie apocalypse) yet they keep battling on, literally.

I now know that reducing my food and not binge eating isn't going to wreak havoc on my mind & body. I have lost 9lbs and now can fit comfortably into clothes I previously couldn't. :)
  • rosie5456
    rosie5456 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find myself binging when I get home from work. Is it trying to relieve the stress from a hectic day, is it just because I am tired? I really do not take the time to think about what is bothering me as I am just wanting grab something quick. I regret this eating later in the day when I take a few minutes to think. Oh boy, what a mess.....
  • hellokittygirlie
    hellokittygirlie Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have struggled with Bulimia and Binge Eating since I was a teenager. I’m now in my mid-40’s and need to get off this emotional and physical roller coaster. Please send me a friend request, I could really use some support from others who struggle with this too. 😊
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I've lost a whole load of weight and become a gym bunny and hiker.

I have also just - as in, within the last three hours - consumed a chocolate and caramel mousse, four chocolate chunk shortbreads, and four crunchie bars, and I still feel the urge to eat more even though my stomach is uncomfortable, my heart is racing, I'm overheating, and I generally feel like rubbish.

So yeah, you can be honest here and we can relate.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    rosie5456 wrote: »
    I find myself binging when I get home from work. Is it trying to relieve the stress from a hectic day, is it just because I am tired? I really do not take the time to think about what is bothering me as I am just wanting grab something quick. I regret this eating later in the day when I take a few minutes to think. Oh boy, what a mess.....

I binge, too. Just a suggestion... how about having some caffeine with lots of ice as you start your way home to sip. Just a new habit like a reward to look forward to. I often have caffeine (coffee) hot or cold just to take the edge off before or with dinner. I know about bringing your job stress home... hugs