Low carb WOE - and the family/kids?

Options
Does anyone here have preteens and younger and feed them only what you eat? If so how did you get your kids (and spouse) to change from a high carb to low carb acceptance?

Or is this a battle best not started? Haha. I have 2 active boys (age 6 & 11) and they pretty much survive on carb overload. However, they are very good fruit and veggie eaters as well, and will eat most meats that I serve.

Just looking for insight on how other low-carbers with families handle their whole family's WOE.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @VictoryGarden the kids were 16 when I went low carb for health reasons. While they are more aware 4.5 years later they are still high carb but have learned that is not the only WOE yet they have a fit if I even think about eating something containing added sugar or any form of any grain.

Jokingly the other night I said I wanted a German Chocolate cake for my birthday. The daughter said and you will be feeling very bad if you do. The wife piped in and the rest of us will have to suffer because you feel bad.

I was meaning than a junkyard dog it seems before starting Keto and getting my 40 years of high pain under control by diet.

Do the keto thing in front of the family and let them follow your lead over time if they wish worked in my case but my kids were about grown.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I look at food as protein and fat for nutrition...because you need a constant supply of these raw materials to maintain a healthy body...then carbs for energy...so if you are young and very active, then you probably need more carbs than someone middle age with a desk job.

Some carbs have a lot of nutritional value, some are processed to the point they are utterly devoid of nutrition. If my children are eating relatively healthy carbs (whole potatoes, real rice, real pasta) then I'm pretty ok with them eating it...I have a 16 year old runner, and a 14 year old ballerina, they need the energy because they are active, and they are still growing. As long as they get sufficient protein and fats in their meals, I don't limit their carbs.

I do limit their sugar/sweets or junk food carbs...they get sweets in limited quantity...they get chips/soda in limited quantity...generally these are things they have once a month or so...special occasion foods, not everyday meal foods.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have boys aged 11 to 16. They eat moderate carb. Their starches are usually potato and rice. They have noodles about once a week, and bread maybe 2-3 times. We have no cereal. All of my baking is with coconut flour and flaxmeal with a lot of protein powder.

I would love to get them lower carb, and off all bread, noodles and rice, but TBH, I can't afford it. Groceries are already $300-500 most weeks, and is a large portion of my income, so removing the cheap fillers completely would be tough. If times get better, I will! ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It is just my husband and me. He's eaten the same way the 30 plus years we've been together. I've changed things up a few times for me. ;)

I know he has never been a day overweight eating potatoes and rice all the time as well as fritos, cheetos, potato chips, ice cream, etc. To this day I am amazed that someone can have "just a bit" of the latter items then put them back in the cupboard or freezer. What's up with that behavior?

Also, so far as we know he has no health issues. He had high blood pressure and was on a couple different meds then decided to start walking and hasn't needed them for a couple of years.

I see no reason to change his diet just because I change mine...and neither does he.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    We've been really successful with meals that are customize-able. Taco nights, Meatball nights, and soup nights are in regular rotation at my house. I function a lot like @sepiaroad I personally, just don't eat the rice, or potatoes, or pasta, or tortillas. But they are there for the rest of the family. I don't fret too much about what the kids are eating. They are all super active, healthy, "regular" kids. I do limit their junk food in our house cause good lord the 7-9 year old boys will LIVE on ice cream and Doritos if given the chance.

Mostly, I don't worry about them. We have conversations about the importance of feeding our bodies, and giving our bodies what they need to grow, develop, be strong and healthy. Their dad preferred to eat less meat, I prefer to eat more, so we've also talked about how what works and feels right for one, may not be exactly right for another. All pretty general high level stuff.
  • UmThatsMyCookie
    UmThatsMyCookie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The only meal I cook daily is dinner since I work, so my fiance eats keto for dinner, but the rest of the day he eats his carbs...mainly peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He can't cook :|
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have an 8, 14 and 16 year olds. Both teens have lost quite a bit of weight within the past 6-12 months. My son likes to do low carb from observing what I do, so much so that sometimes I have to remind him to get enough protein and fat because he's still growing!

So...when I first started trying keto, I tried to get my teenagers on board right away and they wanted nothing to do with it. It really has to be their own choice at that age, I think. I don't think I would do any keto with my 8-year-old. For him I am just trying to watch his sugar and added sugars. It's so hard at this age when all they want to do is snack!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The only meal I cook daily is dinner since I work, so my fiance eats keto for dinner, but the rest of the day he eats his carbs...mainly peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He can't cook :|

Haha, kinda sounds like my house since I work nights, and hubs works days. He handles his own breaky & lunch (he is a big fan of cereal/granola and sandwiches *eye rolz*), and I make a low carb dinner (my breakfast) for both of us to share together. It works.
  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband eats Keto at dinner with me and whatever the rest of the time. My kids are grown so there is nothing to consider there.
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @VictoryGarden the kids were 16 when I went low carb for health reasons. While they are more aware 4.5 years later they are still high carb but have learned that is not the only WOE yet they have a fit if I even think about eating something containing added sugar or any form of any grain.

Jokingly the other night I said I wanted a German Chocolate cake for my birthday. The daughter said and you will be feeling very bad if you do. The wife piped in and the rest of us will have to suffer because you feel bad.

I was meaning than a junkyard dog it seems before starting Keto and getting my 40 years of high pain under control by diet.

Do the keto thing in front of the family and let them follow your lead over time if they wish worked in my case but my kids were about grown.

Slightly off topic, but I made this Keto German Chocolate Cake for NYE and it was really nice!
    https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/keto-german-chocolate-cake-recipe/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    keto german chocolate cake

I love you

Will you marry me?