Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    We don't really do Lent so no plans for it. I should give up wine but not sure I want to. I have been having way less. Now that I am running a little I think I may start not having any, not even a tiny glass, the evening before my planned runs. I used to do that and it worked well.
    @elise4270 - maybe give up fast food for Lent? But then you would have to define what that is. Does it include Panera? What about Chick-Fila?
    I have always been pleasantly surprised to meet and talk to Priests and discover they do have a life beyond doing priestly things - like enjoying cycling and running and yes, even wine tasting 😊
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Panera is acceptable. Some chick fila items are okay too. But taco casa? Nah, probably nothing good with it. I should have a stretch of being at home, so the fast food should be easy to give up.

I had break-room donuts today. Dang you Zac for bringing them eveey Thursday. 😋 Oh well, i can skip lunch with all i ate yesterday.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I forgot to eat breakfast today. Oops.

I'm not weighing myself. But I am tracking my food.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hi nutritional accountability friends! After three weeks I'm feeling good about how my experiment with a more dramatic cut went. The scale read 155.4 this morning and I've reversed my 30-day gaining trend.

ea18pev1o3th.png

Obviously it would have been even more successful if I'd managed to keep my once-a-week maintenance day to maintenance instead of surplus, but so it goes.

My plan had been to go to maintenance for the month, so I've upped my calories to 2100/day before exercise, about a 250 deficit, and am planning to bank that for birthdays later in March. Ideally I'll still be averaging around 155 at the end of the month and then I'll reassess.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I had a bad weekend. So today, I start logging again. And stay away from the sugar. I need help. UGH
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I had a bad weekend. So today, I start logging again. And stay away from the sugar. I need help. UGH

Weekends happen. Today is another day! I don't struggle much with sugar, but salty things do me in. I generally practice the "keep it out of the house" method, although the "single serving pack" method has worked at times as well. You can do it!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Well, if I can keep it horizontal I’ll be happy. Never mind the dip, there was a piece of cat kibble under the scale. I should delete those points. I’ve only been recording weights that trend down or sideways 😛...

Tomorrow’s Fat Tuesday. Any plans?
    h7d2wssa0o2r.png
  • shanaber
    Options
    I had a decent weekend but really didn't eat enough at the agility trial and then was starving when I got home and had really big dinners. I was under my base calories each day but still I don't like having all at the end of the day. My weight is down a tiny bit (less than a pound) but at least it isn't up!!

It does feel good to be moving more and not have my foot throbbing to where I feel like I need to just not move. It also means I can and should eat a bit more again!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I recorded everything yesterday. Too many cookies but it was within my goal. I also didnmy strength training and a short plyo session in addition to my run.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I should know better. At work I ate more than normal because I was planning on a run in the evening but that run never happened.

I did make some delicious Mongolian venison in the IP though. Tonight I'll cook up some farro or quinoa to go with it.

I need to get more veggies too. One of my strategies for losing weight is to first pig out on veggies before eating the rest of the meal. Last night it was half a head of broccoli. Tonight I have some spaghetti squash to cook but I find that I'm not much of a fan of that. Perhaps I should serve it under the Mongolian venison?

• 7lenny7
    Options
    That looks like a great pick, @Elise4270 ! Here's praying all goes perfectly with surgery and recovery!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I should know better. At work I ate more than normal because I was planning on a run in the evening but that run never happened.

I did make some delicious Mongolian venison in the IP though. Tonight I'll cook up some farro or quinoa to go with it.

I need to get more veggies too. One of my strategies for losing weight is to first pig out on veggies before eating the rest of the meal. Last night it was half a head of broccoli. Tonight I have some spaghetti squash to cook but I find that I'm not much of a fan of that. Perhaps I should serve it under the Mongolian venison?

I struggled to like spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta when I was first diagnosed and trying to eat lower carb. Then found that I quite like it with garam masala and olive oil. It's too sweet for tomato based sauces, in my opinion, but works well with stronger savory flavors. The Mongolian venison might work quite well.

Venison is my favorite meat, your style of cooking is right up my alley!

@Elise4270 best of luck with your surgery!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @rheddmobile I think you're right on with the garam masala and spaghetti squash combo. I'll have to try that.

Tonight I did have the squash and the Mongolian venison and liked it quite a bit but the sauce was a little too sweet for my liking. It was probably on par with most restaurants. I'll cut back on the brown sugar next time.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Good luck @elise4270!! Will be thinking good thoughts for you!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I struggled to like spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta when I was first diagnosed and trying to eat lower carb. Then found that I quite like it with garam masala and olive oil. It's too sweet for tomato based sauces, in my opinion, but works well with stronger savory flavors. ...

We grow spaghetti squash; IMO can get away with tomato sauce IF it's cut with a little lemon (I canned my tomatoes with lemon) and has some shrimp cooked in the sauce and draped over the top. But of course I like anything with shrimp on it.

Other favorite way, with pesto, sundried tomato, and pumpkin seeds.

Can't wait to try the garam masala though!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm still rumbling around between 133 and 135 and plan to post my chart again in a week, since that will be exactly one month. Hopefully that will give me some added incentive to stay under my calorie goal.

Did manage a run a couple of days ago, the dog now loves me: coming back is hard, had some sore spots.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I've had a lot of sideways movement this week. 5 days in a row with scale readings within 0.2 pounds of each other. I count that a win considering the late night snacking and the crap I've had in that time.

Two nights ago I loaded up on fruit & veggies. Clementines, apples, blueberries, strawberries, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato...everything in my card was good stuff.

Tonight I'm making Asian marinated salmon and this weekend I'll make a big pot of chili with ground venison and turkey sausage.
  • shanaber
    Options
    We need to go to Costco... We are pretty much out of meat other than rotisserie chicken meat which I am going to make into chicken and dumplings tomorrow. Last night was tortilla soup with extra chicken and cheese quesadillas. Have no idea yet for tonight.

I have seen the scale dip down a bit finally. I keep holding my breath that it will actually stay there. Not posting any numbers until I am sure it isn't just a fluctuation.