Looking for Support!

Options
Hey! I just recently got Gastric Bypass Surgery on 2.21 & I’m looking for people to support me through my journey & theirs as well. If you’re interested please reach out! Look forward to speaking with you! :)

Replies

• takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got a lap band 6 years ago. I have lost about 50 pounds but need to lose 50 more. I'm thinking of getting a GB like you. I have been having problems with acid reflux and choking in my sleep. I'm also a WW drop out. I'm just trying to find what works for me.
  • ielohveetris
    ielohveetris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The GB was suggested to my by my doctor because of my severe gastritis. I originally thought of getting the surgery because my heartburn & acid reflux was so bad it would keep me up at night. My initial naive thought was if I had the surgery they’d cut out the bad part of my stomach, so I opted for the sleeve at first. While talking to the doctor he informed me that if I wanted to go forward with the sleeve my gastritis would get worse, but that the GB was originally designed to treat people who suffered from gastritis & then once they saw people lose weight from it; they made it a weight loss surgery. So if you are thinking about it due to your acid reflux I highly recommend it. I take prescription medication for my gastritis but I haven’t had to since my surgery. I noticed results the very first day. It was amazing. Everyone is different & I recommend a bit more research before you commit. But it’s definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time!
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is really good information.
  • KennyPollard
    KennyPollard Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Excellent work!!
  • ielohveetris
    Options
    @lleeann2001 That’s great! Hope you reach your goal as well. I do have a question though since you’ve had the GB. How long did it take for your pain from your surgery to go away? My incisions are pretty much healed & I don’t have any pain except for the one on the left. My doctor told me that one would hurt me the most, but it’s really bad. I can’t stand for too long without it feeling like it’s burning. I figured after a week it would get better or go away, but it hasn’t. It’s stayed the same. Any advice?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @lleeann2001 that incision in the left is the one that gets the most work done through it and will take the longest to heal. I recall it taking a few weeks before it was completely pain free. But, Don’t hesitate to let your surgeon know if the pain gets worse instead of better though. That wouldn’t be considered normal.
  • ielohveetris
    Options
    @KarlaYP thanks! I ended up calling the doctor & he told me the same thing. I’m gonna see how it progresses. How much weight did you lose with your surgery? & were you able to keep it off?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Mine is a looong tale, so grab your water and put your feet up, lol!

I had the sleeve done April 26, 2010. It was a new surgery back then so they didn’t know much about how someone with GERD (acid reflux) would do afterwards. All was good until about 4 months post op. It was then that I began to throw up bile in the middle of the night, and at random times during the day. I would be super nauseated and not be able to eat, and that would tell me that it was coming that day! I lost from 318 pounds to 208 the first year post op though! So that was good, right? But I was so sick I couldn’t enjoy it. What I did do was look for comfort foods, and stuff that was easy to eat when I could which was high carb stuff, so I immediately began to regain the weight. I regained to right at 250 pounds.

I was put through almost 5 years of upper endoscopys (three of them), upper GI X-rays, GI consults, then my surgeon left and I had to begin seeing a new surgeon who was his partner. New surgeon finally decided I had to be converted to a bypass to stop the bile from being able to get to my stomach. So, on January 20, 2015 I was converted to a bypass, and my weight that day was 231.

While I was recovering from the bypass I began using mfp to log my food intake. I also realized that this was my second (and last) chance at getting it right! I knew I had to change the foods I ate if it was going to work! I couldn’t eat the same foods that had made me obese, and expect to keep the weight off! It wasn’t going to work that way! So in using mfp I came across a low carb community of people who had lost, and maintained their weight loss by dropping the carbs and junk! So, I decided that was the way to go. I rationalized that right after surgery we are forced into a state of ketosis (fat burning) with the inability to eat much, so why not continue that? After I had read about all of these people who were doing that without ever having surgery. I could just slide right into it once allowed solid foods! So I did, and I have been eating that way for four years now.

I had lost down to 163 (my original goal was 180, I’m 5’9”) and I felt I looked too thin, so I purposely regained 17 pounds and have been at 180 for three years! Now that I’ve gotten used to seeing myself at this size I’m going to lose that 17 pounds (maybe a bit more, we’ll see).

So, that’s a total of 151 pounds of maintained weight loss!! I’m so proud of myself!!

And I finally feel good, even after having an ulcer cut out in 2016. My most recent Endoscopy (2 weeks ago) shows me free of ulcers and gastritis for the first time since 1992!!

• ielohveetris
    Options
    @KarlaYP oh wow! That’s an amazing story! I’m so happy for you! Definitely inspiring.

I’ve battled with gastritis since I was 18. It would come & go, but this past year it got really bad. Any kind of food would trigger & I’d be up to 5-7am & either go to work on little sleep or be forced to call out. I knew I had to do something about it so it led me to asking about the GB. I have also struggled with my weight since I was a young girl so losing weight would definitely be a plus. I started my journey at 280 (which is the highest I’ve ever been) & I’m now 260. My goal is 180 as well. I’m curvy, so I hope to keep my curves, but be healthy. I’m looking for something to do long term as well, I’ll look into that low carb. Is there a site in particular that helped?
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @lleeann2001 That’s great! Hope you reach your goal as well. I do have a question though since you’ve had the GB. How long did it take for your pain from your surgery to go away? My incisions are pretty much healed & I don’t have any pain except for the one on the left. My doctor told me that one would hurt me the most, but it’s really bad. I can’t stand for too long without it feeling like it’s burning. I figured after a week it would get better or go away, but it hasn’t. It’s stayed the same. Any advice?

Hey there. Well my incision on the left stayed a little swollen for a long time. In fact it only just stopped slightly hurting a year after my surgery . It didn't hurt that much. But I just noticed a tiny amount of swelling at the scar area. I didnt know it was common until I read these posts. One thing I would do is notify the surgery team for you to have an appt with your surgeon if it's bothing you to the extent that it's somewhat intolerable. It shouldn't be burning. In general, my pain at my laparoscopic incision sites barely hurt with the exception of the one on the left. I hope you do get some relief soon.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @KarlyYP. That IS a fascinating story. Wow, you certainly went thru a lot. But the end result is a wonderful thing and I am so happy for you!!. I am excited to be on this journey. My goal is 130 or 40. I used to be 140 for years. That made me a size 10 which I was comfortable at. But I think I want to be 130. And I am looking forward to it!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @KarlaYP oh wow! That’s an amazing story! I’m so happy for you! Definitely inspiring.

I’ve battled with gastritis since I was 18. It would come & go, but this past year it got really bad. Any kind of food would trigger & I’d be up to 5-7am & either go to work on little sleep or be forced to call out. I knew I had to do something about it so it led me to asking about the GB. I have also struggled with my weight since I was a young girl so losing weight would definitely be a plus. I started my journey at 280 (which is the highest I’ve ever been) & I’m now 260. My goal is 180 as well. I’m curvy, so I hope to keep my curves, but be healthy. I’m looking for something to do long term as well, I’ll look into that low carb. Is there a site in particular that helped?

The group here on MFP that is the bomb for low carb is the Low Carb Daily group. They’re a private group that are wonderful support for all levels of low carb. We share wonderful recipes, many threads everyday of questions and answers. Is a very active group! When I joined in 2015 we had around 5000 people (granted all aren’t active) and have now grown to almost 20,000 people. It’s wonderful to see because cutting carbs is really the only way to maintain any weight loss. I’m not saying cutting out carbs 100%, but cutting out the junk and relying on food you cook instead.

I recommend checking them out! They’re very open to new members. It’s only private because we had some trolls a few years ago who wanted to cause trouble. It’s been nice and worry free since it’s been private.
  • featherbird007
    featherbird007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you sharing!
  • tinyguts
    tinyguts Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for support! I'm 5.5 weeks post op from VSG and would like friends who've had WLS!