Living The Lifestyle, Friday, March 1, 2019

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for March are below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday -
Wednesday -
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday-88olds (George)

Today's Topic: Problems And Solutions.

Premise: Weight loss is about problem solving over and over again.

What’s a problem that you face or have faced? Big problem or little problem, that doesn’t matter. Did you solve it? How? If not, why not?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Problem? The office food.

I was in an office with 100+ people. If all it was going to take was someone’s birthday cake or random box of donuts to wreck my plan, I wasn’t going to succeed. There were also candy dishes, Girl Scout cookies, everyone’s left over Halloween candy, the list goes on.

Solution- I became a germaphobe. All it took was a careful look at the behavior of my coworkers around the food that was out.
    I quickly adopted a policy that if I didn’t bring it, I wasn’t eating it.

After I made goal I did modify my policy a bit to allow for a piece of birthday cake here or there. But I watched it being cut and served. As soon as that cake moved to leftover status, it was hands off.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Have to think about this one. One early example of problem solving was by NOT walking by the Cinnabon aisle in dthe mall or walking in the bakery section of the store. Limiting the sights and smells helped lower some of the temptation.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I needed to be more selective with my food choices.
    I was never a picky eater before.
    One of the major changes was reducing fast food intake and including more
    healthy veggies in my diet.
    My palate began to change in time though.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,229 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem has always been anxiety/boredom eating. I have worked to mitigate that problem by picking up a few tools: 1) meditation; 2) yoga; 3) walking; 4) taking online classes to improve my technical skills, as well as to learn to speak Spanish.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    No hay problema Greg! Spanish, yoga,meditation. all good.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest problem is boredom! And I don't really mean I don't know what to make as much as how to mix it up. But ... I'm beginning to think I'll be less bored with a smaller rotation of my absolute favorites. That's the plan for now anyway!

Three foods make me extremely happy right now.

1. Mixed fresh fruit, currently, pineapple, raspberries, and blueberries

2. FF Plain Greek yogurt, 1 T cocoa powder, sweetener, cut up and nuked frozen cherries.

3. Chipotle chicken (I add 1 chipotle pepper to the marinade and I grill it, I don't have a flattop) served w/ 1/2 c brown rice, corn, salsa, and ff plain Greek yogurt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbflMWeUNM&t=269s

My other problem is mindless eating. I've been making some progress in correcting this, but it's a process.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,884 Member
    Options
    when I first started WW it was dunkin donuts! I loved their coffee (still do) but going in and seeing & smelling the donuts with out buying some was a problem for me. I finally learned to only go to the shops with drive in windows. The pictures were not as tempting to me as the sight & smell of the actual donuts. Now 12 years later I don't even like the donuts anymore! (Still love the coffee though)
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,962 Member
    Options
    My biggest current problem is work travel...and I have a big travel period coming up (or, that I'm in the middle of right now).

I solved the eating during the actual travel from point A to point B. I now pack a simple light lunch that I can eat on the plane (popcorn cakes [similar to rice cakes, but kosher], a small single-serving peanut butter tub, and an apple).

However, I still struggle with the eating while I'm away. I've noted elsewhere that I keep kosher, and so I nearly always am supplied with kosher meals while I'm away. They are usually larger meals, so I've got to learn how to manage portion control while not feeling guilty about not-finishing the (relatively) expensive food that my travel sponsors provide for me.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My current problem is feeling so overwhelmed at work. With all the meetings, internship visits, emails, etc. I have a hard time carving out uninterrupted time to make substantial progress on the multiple projects that I'm juggling. And these next two weekends I have work obligations (graduate fair, conference) which further cuts into any uninterrupted time. Those work obligations also cut into my time to exercise which is one of my best methods of stress relief. As a result, I've been snacking too much which is reflected on the scale.

At this point all I can try to do is to minimize the damage over the next 3 weeks. Then I will be getting away for almost 10 days to head to the east coast to visit friends and do a lot of bicycling as well as some hiking.

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,962 Member
    Options
    I dislike staying something as a problem but rather prefer to calling it a situation. So my current situation to solve is eating the wrong things and eating too much. I've always had the perpencity to eat too much. One of those things we call overeating. When I do it however I take it it to a new level. Lately I've been in this pattern like my old self has returned and it's the wrong self that has returned.

So I've solved this before but currently off track with this pattern of overeating. I'm just plain overeating most days. Nobody can't solve this but me and me only. No amount of knowledge knowing what you should or shouldn't eat will solve this problem. It's clearly a matter that's between my ears. Saying no to the wrong choices and portioned items is something I've got to fix myself.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Premise: Weight loss is about problem solving over and over again.

What’s a problem that you face or have faced? Big problem or little problem, that doesn’t matter. Did you solve it? How? If not, why not?

Auto-pilot. In the course of learning about my relationship with food, I realized that for some reason, I had grown accustomed to reaching for food when stressed or anxious. I had done it for so long that it was like a chain-reaction that occurred without me even thinking about it. Oh--I wasn't reaching for carrots or an apple either. I was going for baked goods and other sweets, carbs and fatty foods.

Once I made the realization several years ago, I tried to slow down and be more mindful. If I was able to do that, I could usually prevent myself (or divert myself) toward a healthier choice. I also realized whatever I ate, it rarely solved the real problem. No matter. Realizing that my choices were more responsible for making me fat than the behavior, I tackled my food choices instead of "fixing my crutch".

Almost five years in (really??), I reluctantly say I solved the problem, but only if I'm mindful. Left to my own devices without my head in the game, I find I'm still tempted to go down my old path. However, as they say, 'Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.'. It doesn't matter how close I come as long as I catch myself before it's too late.