Rye bread - yep had the lot. Does anyone believe in carb addiction

Options
I think this emphasises why I can’t have carbs. Freshly cooked rye bread - I ate the lot at breakfast. Oh the shame.

It’s probably just greed but reminds me I’m better off not having carbs as I have no stop button. It was plain fresh cooked rye bread.

I wonder if carbs do just overload the brain with feel good factors!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It is an addiction, and I believe it can be the hardest to overcome because we must have food to live!

Making the choice for yourself is what it comes down to. Are you going to choose health over addiction? Because ultimately choice is what it comes down to. You have to realize that you’re worth what it takes, and deserve the outcome of what it takes to make the choice for yourself. No one can do that for you. Sending you hugs!!
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Some people can do moderation of foods like sugars and carbs; I am not one of those people. Before starting keto, I had to completely cut certain foods out of my life. I am actually in a program for the treatment of food addiction and have been for years. Keto helps me feel physically and emotionally balanced and supports my recovery. In short, yes it is very real and there are resources out there if you need further support in treating your addiction.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    It’s helpful to hear Karla thank you for kindly supporting me 😥as it’s frustrating but I can never understand how some people can just have one slice and feel satiated. Particularly when hormonal. I had all the then was looking for a snack four hours later!
  • cl00bie
    cl00bie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Does anyone believe in carb addiction

Absolutely. I am a carb/sugar addict. I'm trying keto to make it easier to quit "cold turkey".
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    cl00bie wrote: »

Absolutely. I am a carb/sugar addict. I'm trying keto to make it easier to quit "cold turkey".

Sometimes cutting down slower is the way to go instead of cold turkey. It can be tough to get through the first couple of weeks!

I did it accidentally in the beginning. I started low carb (around 120 grams a day) and decreased my carbs every few days once I realized the pain relief benefits too. But I did slowly, decreased them down to ketogenic level (20-30 grams), over a couple of months. Then all the way to the zero carb level that I’ve maintained for three years.

Sometimes cold turkey can be tough!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe it’s an addiction and if you read the book The Hacking of the American Mind I will do a lot to explain the mechanism for it and how we begin becoming addicted at birth.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Bread and similar, pears, candy, oranges, baked potatoes, rice. I cannot. At all. Have those things. It usually results in an all out binge that ends three days later with me sick, angry, and in pain for the next week. People can say carb addiction is not a “thing” but I was the kid found in the pantry with a spoon on a stool eating out of the sugar bag. Or downing marshmallows. I went keto for migraine control, it has been a rollercoaster few years learning to stick with it but I have been consistent for 6 months now and even through a two week all inclusive vacation this month! Feeling great!

Find yourself some quick low carb bread options to bake or buy(I find quick microwave mug breads are the best as they get eaten warm and I don’t feel the need to force myself to eat them if they are not to my liking), and get back on plan!!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe it’s an addiction and if you read the book The Hacking of the American Mind I will do a lot to explain the mechanism for it and how we begin becoming addicted at birth.

Going to look for that one, Thankyou!

• cl00bie
    cl00bie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    KarlaYP wrote: »
    cl00bie wrote: »

Sometimes cutting down slower is the way to go instead of cold turkey. It can be tough to get through the first couple of weeks!

I have left over food (from "before") that I need to eat through. I have about 6 "energy bars" that have whacked my carbs for the day, and about 10 chocolate covered ice cream bars on a stick. I had one the other day and it didn't send me into a death spiral, so I'll look at my numbers and maybe have another one in a day or so until they're all gone.

Then I can have only what I'm supposed to (well, most of the time anyway). :)

• IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's easy to quit smoking.
    Never have another one. :)

Impossible to quit eating.
    That's why dieting and weight loss is so much harder. :s
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    It’s really challenging as I’m a bit of a people pleaser too and there is the healthy balanced diet which I know people on keto oppose (and I’m not sure suits me personally and will explain why...again sorry I’m a broken record!) but people are like rye bread, oats you can’t eat too much- but I can!

Give me a bowl of porridge for brekkie and I’m in a sleepy carb coma wanting more food...that’s just me!