This February I Will....

Options
1235»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,005 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Life got in the way of my goal this week. Another snow day on Monday meant I had Gkids here all day. Yesterday I had a drs appointment. Today I watched the M Cohen hearing on TV. Tomorrow is coffee ladies day and am going to meet my sister in the afternoon, and Friday I go in for a CTscan to figure out what’s causing recurring side pain. It’s so hard to get back on track when I get sidetracked. Since I’ve been sitting so much today I’m going to do a workout NOW and then study right after I clean up the kids’ Monday messes. I can commit to a goal until something comes along to upset the routine, then I struggle to get back into it. Guess that means the things I’ve been working on aren’t yet a habit and I have to try to find the internal/external reward that will keep me moving forward in spite of life’s happenings. It’s pretty frustrating and I know I’m making excuses. The mental struggle is real.

@nebslp
    Perhaps you’re being too hard on yourself? Hugs. Sometimes life happens & we need to remind ourselves that we are human!

Is your habit too ambitious? Could you cut it by 1/3?

We’re here to help brainstorm ideas with you! ♥️

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you for your kind words and support. You may be right. I tend to be a perfectionist and get discouraged when I don’t meet my expectations for myself. I will continue my Feb goal and set it at 3 days a week instead of every day. Thanks for the idea❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,005 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you for your kind words and support. You may be right. I tend to be a perfectionist and get discouraged when I don’t meet my expectations for myself. I will continue my Feb goal and set it at 3 days a week instead of every day. Thanks for the idea❣️

@nebslp
    Oh GREAT❣️
    (Thank you for being open to the suggestion.)
    As a Recovering Perfectionist, I can relate!

I am proof that “ridiculously easy goals” with slight increments over time can get you to Amazing Places.

Also, slightly related, but it might be helpful. It was a life changer for me. We need rest, rejuvenation, and rejuvenation/fun, too. Just as much as diet/exercise/sleep.

What will you do to replenish yourself - even just a little bit :)

So, I’ll follow my own advice!
    Today, I will watch a favorite TV show as I do my 1.5 hour PT routine.

This afternoon, I will walk 1/2 hour And go read/sketch/write at a coffee shop or the library (tea or nonfat latte) for 1 hour and then will commit to attending a 75?min restorative yoga class & then walk home for a total of 1 hr exercise/walking.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Life got in the way of my goal this week. Another snow day on Monday meant I had Gkids here all day. Yesterday I had a drs appointment. Today I watched the M Cohen hearing on TV. Tomorrow is coffee ladies day and am going to meet my sister in the afternoon, and Friday I go in for a CTscan to figure out what’s causing recurring side pain. It’s so hard to get back on track when I get sidetracked. Since I’ve been sitting so much today I’m going to do a workout NOW and then study right after I clean up the kids’ Monday messes. I can commit to a goal until something comes along to upset the routine, then I struggle to get back into it. Guess that means the things I’ve been working on aren’t yet a habit and I have to try to find the internal/external reward that will keep me moving forward in spite of life’s happenings. It’s pretty frustrating and I know I’m making excuses. The mental struggle is real.

@nebslp
    Perhaps you’re being too hard on yourself? Hugs. Sometimes life happens & we need to remind ourselves that we are human!

I totally understand getting thrown off course and struggling to get back on. I have that same problem. I'm really finding that without accountability, it's even harder for me. I tell myself "I don't feel like it today because <fill in the blank>" and tell myself I'll do it tomorrow and pretty soon I don't even remember my goals. Life drags us in so many different directions and I think we forget how important WE ARE too!

Finding self-care time is hard, and for me, winter makes it even worse because I can't easily get outside.

I like @MadisonMolly2017 's thoughts of just cutting back. Once a small habit takes, it tends to grow all on it's own!

Hugs to you my friend.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Well, February is a wrap and I didn't do so well, but I'm carrying my same goal into March and March WILL BE successful!

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options

@nebslp

I completely agree! My guess is it will be hard to carve out several hours a day to focus on your goal. Is there something you could do in 20 minutes or so everyday where you’d feel you’re making progress?

The year I spent trying to teach myself to play the guitar by practicing 15 minutes a day required a lot of cut corners. Specifically, I didn’t tune my guitar except maybe once every other week. Heresy I know to any guitarist and I’m a little sheepish about admitting this to you, @nebslp, because I know you play the guitar. But I didn’t have time. I knew if I wanted to keep playing long term, I had to ease into it with a modest time commitment. I felt chords and chords alone needed to fill those 15 minutes. I can tune it later. So that’s where I kept my focus and it helped me stay on track.

Every goal is different, but if there are specific tasks/mini projects in your photography goal that are good building blocks to larger tasks and can be done fairly quickly, that might be a good first focus. Success is a great launching pad for more ambitious targets.

And as @MadisonMolly2017 said, we are here to help and support you!

• themedalist
    Options
    Well, February is a wrap and I didn't do so well, but I'm carrying my same goal into March and March WILL BE successful!

So true! We can always slide our monthly goal over into the next month!
  • themedalist
    Options

I think 3 days a week is a great idea!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    ❤️ I love you all! Thank you for your support and encouragement ❤️