Week 1: 174.9
    Week 2: 175.4
    Week 3: ...
    Week 4: ...
    Week 5: ...
    Week 6: ...
    Week 7: 179.4
    Week 8: 179.2

A positive thought for the week: Life if full of opportunity for great choices!
    Healthy snack or meal: fruit
    Best workout this week: none - I really need to get on this!

Comments: Last week I shared that I have been interested in World War 2 rationing in Britain. The rationing had two purposes, address potential food shortages when the Germans interfered with the incoming supplies (England imported 40% of their food) and also to improve the health of the population.

Anyway, the butter ration was 2 ounces per week per person. This morning my husband was fixing his breakfast and said, jokingly "I just used a whole month's worth of butter!" (at least I hope he was joking)

The ration for sugar was 8 ounces per person per week, which seems like a lot, but since there was relatively little processed food, this had to be for all cooking, canning and baking. 8 ounces of sugar per week is 26 pounds per year. Compare this to today - a typical American consumes between 150 and 170 POUNDS of sugar per year. The majority of that is hidden in all the processed food we eat. Yikes!
  • arameni
    arameni Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Goal: 128

Week 1: 132.2
    Week 2: 132.2
    Week 3: 132.2
    Week 4: 131.6
    Week 5: 131.0
    Week 6: 130.8
    Week 7: 133.6
    Week 8: 131.0

A positive thought for the week: Deciding to choose accountability and posting even though I weighed after breakfast! Choosing accountability makes me feel a bit more responsible and in control.
    Healthy snack or meal: Cabbage and eggs with low-sodium soy sauce.
    Best workout this week: Dog walk!

Comments: Wow, that is some horrifying sugar math! :o We need some serious nutrition counseling and education available for all socioeconomic groups. And also to make junk and fast foods not the only thing lower income families can afford. Cheaper and less nutritious than dirt...
    Edit: No judgment for choosing convenience though, I've definitely eaten just boxed cookies for dinner on more than one occasion.

Unrelated: I read a self-help book this week which turned out to be covering issues of psychological abuse! I bought it thinking it would be more of a healing from past negative experiences, but it turned out to be about identifying if you are facing abuse from psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists and how to reconstruct your life. It was not at all what I needed, but quite interesting. Watch out for people who try to isolate you from friends and family and make you feel like you are walking on eggshells, ladies!
  • taylorgardnerr
    taylorgardnerr Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Challenge Start Weight: 129.4
    Challenge Goal: 115-120

Week 1: 127.4
    Week 2: 126.8
    Week 3: 126.2
    Week 4: 125.6
    Week 5: 125.0
    Week 6: 123.8
    Week 7: 123.8
    Week 8: 124.4
    A positive thought for the week: A little bit of fluctuation after some heavier foods but still happy with my progress! I’m going to really work on sticking to my goals this week
    Healthy snack/meal: Grilled chicken
    Best workout: Recreational volleyball at my gym!
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    arameni wrote: »
    Goal: 128

Week 1: 132.2
    Week 2: 132.2
    Week 3: 132.2
    Week 4: 131.6
    Week 5: 131.0
    Week 6: 130.8
    Week 7: 133.6
    Week 8: 131.0

A positive thought for the week: Deciding to choose accountability and posting even though I weighed after breakfast! Choosing accountability makes me feel a bit more responsible and in control.
    Best workout this week: Dog walk!

Comments: Wow, that is some horrifying sugar math! :o We need some serious nutrition counseling and education available for all socioeconomic groups. And also to make junk and fast foods not the only thing lower income families can afford. Cheaper and less nutritious than dirt...
    Edit: No judgment for choosing convenience though, I've definitely eaten just boxed cookies for dinner on more than one occasion.

Unrelated: I read a self-help book this week which turned out to be covering issues of psychological abuse! I bought it thinking it would be more of a healing from past negative experiences, but it turned out to be about identifying if you are facing abuse from psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists and how to reconstruct your life. It was not at all what I needed, but quite interesting. Watch out for people who try to isolate you from friends and family and make you feel like you are walking on eggshells, ladies!

Do you have a recipe for the cabbage and eggs? Not a combo that would have occurred to me, but I’ll give it a try. I want to try a red lentil soup recipe that I saw on tv this week.

The other things that were heavily rationed in WW2 were fats and meats. 2 ounces of butter per week (1/2 a stick), 2 ounces or margarine (that we now know if full of nasty trans fats) and 4 ounces of lard. I know why Grandma fried everything in leftover bacon grease! Meat was rationed at 4 ounces of ham or bacon per week and what would be the equal of $2.85 worth today of beef. 1 egg per person a week unless you kept your own chickens. Apparently nobody was eating chicken - they kept them for the eggs. I remember my grandma saying “that’s one for the stewpot” meaning the chicken was no longer a good layer.

Have a great week!
    Carol
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Start Weight: 260.0 (Dec. 2013)
    Challenge Start Weight: 238.4
    Challenge Goal: 226
    Week 1: 238.0
    Week 2: 238.0
    Week 3: 237.2
    Week 4: 237.6
    Week 5: 235.6
    Week 6: 235.6
    Week 7: 236.6
    Week 8: 237.6

A positive thought: Cutting myself some slack in those trying times.
    A healthy snack/meal: Turkey tacos.
    My most effective workout this week was: Body cycle.

Comment: Grueling workload hitting Sunday school and job application deadline. Did not even have time for body cycle every day.
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Start Weight: 260.0 (Dec. 2013)
    Challenge Start Weight: 238.4
    Challenge Goal: 226
    Week 1: 238.0
    Week 2: 238.0
    Week 3: 237.2
    Week 4: 237.6
    Week 5: 235.6
    Week 6: 235.6
    Week 7: 236.6
    Week 8: 237.6

A positive thought: Cutting myself some slack in those trying times.
    A healthy snack/meal: Turkey tacos.
    My most effective workout this week was: Body cycle.

Comment: Grueling workload hitting Sunday school and job application deadline. Did not even have time for body cycle every day.

Mental health is really important too!!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Mental health is really important too!![/quote]

I know, cxwhit3, working in the field.

• leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Start Weight:200.8 (January 2018)
    Challenge Start Weight:196.0
    Challenge Goal Weight:186.0

Week 1: 194.2
    Week 2: 193.0
    Week 3: 192.0
    Week 4: 191.8
    Week 5: 191.2
    Week 6: 192.0
    Week 7: 190.4
    Week 8: 194.8

I KNOW I am retaining all KINDS of water. But UGH. Next week will be better and back on track!
  • arameni
    arameni Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    cxwhit3 wrote: »
    arameni wrote: »

Do you have a recipe for the cabbage and eggs? Not a combo that would have occurred to me, but I’ll give it a try. I want to try a red lentil soup recipe that I saw on tv this week.

Lol the recipe is pretty much just what it sounds like:
    I saute some shredded cabbage and onions (sometimes bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, just whatever hits my fancy that day. I imagine some kind of sausage would be good in this too) in whatever oil (switched to avocado oil recently because my roommate is allergic to nuts and soy) I like that week until they are edible, then plate the vegetables.

Add soy sauce to vegetables to taste.
    I then fry two eggs over-hard (I hate runny yolk) and stack them on the vegetables.

And it's ready! Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or all 3! B)

On some days I'll eat it over rice, because why not?

If you try it, let me know what you think! I never claim to have a refined palate, so it's good to have other perspectives on my meals lol

Did you try the TV soup yet?
This discussion has been closed.