Life Happens

Options
littlegibbs62
littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
Life happens on the way to getting healthy. We just have to learn new ways of dealing that don't involve comfort eating. They tell us this during the pre-op phase and if you're like me, you're busting your *kitten* to comply on everything and may tuck snippits away to deal with later. This was one of those tucked away points I never got around to working on pre-op.

This past month has taught me, even as a newbie (4 months post-op this week), that regain and stagnation can happen quite easily. This isn't magic bean surgery! At least not for me. Maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones? Life got tuff this month. Work was cray, I worked ungodly hours, was exhausted, plus had a few family celebrations come together and had the snacky bug hit me. And just chose to eat with more crunchy snacky things (still low carb choices, but much higher fat) than eat my real, dense protein and veggies and low fat regimine. I went from averaging 650 cals/day to eating around 1000 cals/day. And the result? Bam! 4 pounds! Back up to 185.8lbs. Crap!

So I got back on the horse and said, "Enough!" Beginning at the basics, I went back to my 650 and have lost all of that regain and am now down to 175.6 this morning. I know cuz of being new, the weight comes off faster and about 4lbs of that was water, but it shows me that I will ALWAYS have to be very careful of choices. There are no free rides or eating crap in moderation cuz it tastes good. I have to eat clean, to stay clean and in control.

Just thought I'd share this experience.

Replies

• 21RelentlessOne
    21RelentlessOne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I had VSG in 2014 & did great for the first few years and then I fell back into my old eating behavior and regained a lot of the lost weight.
    I made a very impulsive decision to have a revision to RNY last year in Mexico and had extreme complications. The day after laparoscopic surgery I had a huge blood clot in my small intestine so they had to open me up with almost a foot long incision and cut through the muscle. Then 2 days later I had an obstructed bowel and they had to reopen the incision again to fix it.

I spent 2 weeks in the hospital in Mexico ( I had an amazing surgery and care and do not blame any of this on going to Mexico so I'm not here to bash Mexico). Upon flying back back home to Canada I went straight to the hospital as I had a deep wound infection and it needed hospital care.
    I spent 2 more weeks in the hospital so that was a month in hospital.

When I was released from the hospital here I required a home care nurse to come every day for about 2 months to clean my wound and bandage it up.

The nightmare continued as the complications have let me with a huge abdominal hernia almost a foot long. I have been monitored by the Bariatric Surgeons here but the head surgeon told me he didn't think he could do anything for me. He did offer to refer me to one of the other Bariatric Surgeons and see if you would consider a consult with me. I was thrilled to find out that he would give me a consult.

Long story short, due to the trauma of all I went through and how immobile I was with the hernia (it was almost like learning to walk again) I gained about 30 lbs. after this nightmare on top of the 60 lbs. I had regained before the revision surgery.

The Bariatric surgeon cannot attempt to fix the abdominal hernia at this point. He recommended that I work on weight loss for the following year and that he would reassess my condition in a year. In the meantime he has referred me to a Bariatric Dietician (we call them Dieticians in Canada instead of Nutritionists). He has also referred me to take a course called "Craving Change" which was required for my first Bariatric surgery in 2014. He has also recommended that I exercise but he is aware that with such a large abdominal hernia I can only do walking and swimming for now.

Last week I came back on this ap which I used faithfully while preparing for my first surgery in 2014. They required that we track here as part of the Bariatric program in my community.

I have been tracking for a little over a week and walked about half of the week.

I am here looking for friends who have had complications to weight loss surgery & regain.
    I know how great it is to make friends on here to share with, to be a sounding board and to cheer each other on when we have good days.

I used to belong to the VSG group but I don't feel like I belong there anymore. I really want and need to make some friends on here and those also struggling with regain and starting over.

If you have taken the time to read this I thank you. If you can relate to any of it or just want to get to know me better I would love to hear from you.

Thanks very much and I hope to make a friend or two or more to encourage each other.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options

Yes WLS is not a quick fix. It does not fix the brain and is definitely only a tool. I applaud you both for never giving up!!
  • SteffiLatta
    SteffiLatta Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow, the name for this post is so appropriate! I was fairly active here QUITE a while ago, then life happened. Work slowed down last August/September, I was laid off in October right as I got back from a cruise, found a new job, started in February and was let go last Friday. I'm not as mad about the job as my husband is right now. So, back to the grindstone.

All through my first lay-off (ever), I told myself it was time to go out and walk, Get moving, work on losing the lbs I gained while being a road warrior. I had GBS in 2006, the lowest weight was 180(ish). I hovered comfortably around 195/200 for a few years, had a tummy tuck due to skin breakdown issues and now this morning I weighed in at 237.1 lbs. A few months ago I was up to 245 so I'm considering this a bit of a win.

My challenge right now is motivation, both for finding a job and getting out of bed. And ignoring that bottle of chardonnay calling me from the fridge at night. Or the vodka. When my father died in 2014 Mr. Belvidere came to stay for a while and brought his pet Grey Goose with him. It was not a great thing and I recognize it fully.

We recently joined a gym I consider a lot like Average Joe's from Dodgeball. I like it but can find a multitude of excuses not to go. At least I'm over the cold that seems to be running rampant through the country.

So, long story shorter, I'm back. Logging food, logging exercise, and trying to move forward once again.