Welcome new group members! Tell us your story of weightloss using an Instant Pot.

Options
Hello all, glad you are finding this group. I only got my pot for Christmas and it's become the most valuable appliance in my kitchen. I did not start this to lose weight, but it's been a side effect of a sort. I'm obsessing so much over cooking in the instant pot, looking up recipes, reading forums, that I'm not snacking as much anymore. Also eating mostly fresh and healthy food from the instant pot is also responsible for this effect. So it got me wanting to lose more! I was a packaged food cook. Made a lot of things that came out of boxes or cans. Now I'm eating fresher and healthier. I would love to know if the instant pot has help you to lose weight too!

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I got mine for Christmas too!

Not so much for weight loss, I'm in maintenance, but it's SO easy to cook real food. Quickly. Chicken breasts, steak, pork loin, all done well and quickly. Rice is so easy, Veggies come out so good every time. It's just so much easier to cook real food.

I also love that I can cook foods from frozen without having to plan and coordinate defrosting, I'm particularly bad at that. It helps prevent food waste because I can keep all my meat frozen.
  • baygirl2019
    baygirl2019 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love that you can cook from frozen too. I gave up on chicken breasts and now I purchase the frozen tenders in a bag. The tenders are just that, more tender! Easy to throw in a recipe.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    I love that you can cook from frozen too. I gave up on chicken breasts and now I purchase the frozen tenders in a bag. The tenders are just that, more tender! Easy to throw in a recipe.

That's awesome! I get the whole breasts from Sam's Club, those breasts are massive. This week I just bought some from the store and trimmed and froze them after I got home though.
  • baygirl2019
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have found the texture of those massive Walmart or Sam's Club chicken breasts to be strange. Almost like when you bite into it, it's got a snap or a crunch? not sure how to say it. It has a tough outer membrane or something. I stopped buying them. I got a problem with textures.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    I have found the texture of those massive Walmart or Sam's Club chicken breasts to be strange. Almost like when you bite into it, it's got a snap or a crunch? not sure how to say it. It has a tough outer membrane or something. I stopped buying them. I got a problem with textures.

That is so strange! I only buy the Tyson ones, in the 6.5lb bag (the 10lb bag is too big for my freezer!), not the Member's Mark or Great Value ones. I prefer the texture of the Tyson chicken to chicken I regularly buy at the supermarket. That said, Tyson is HUGE here in Arkansas and it may just be what I'm used to.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    If I'm buying at the supermarket, I get the Harvestland breasts that are packaged individually, vacuum sealed. They come in a cardboard box. They are good too.
  • baygirl2019
    Options
    I'm in Maryland. Tyson is here, we also have Perdue. I prefer to buy Perdue over the store brand. I try to avoid the huge breasts, LOL.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    I like Perdue for breaded chicken products. They also had some "encrusted" products we loved, but they are no longer sold here. They were so good.

Tyson is based in Arkansas, so their products dominate the store shelves. Apparently, they also own Jimmy Dean (sausage I buy), Sara Lee (bread I buy) and Ball Park (hot dogs I occasionally buy). I am more enmeshed in their products than I thought.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's definitely helped with healthier eating. It's so easy to make quinoa and dried beans and lentils. When something is convenient, I'm more apt to make it a habit. I'm doing a lot more veggie-packed soups and veggie chili now than I did with my slow cooker (which I don't even use anymore). Been focusing on a more Mediterranean diet with a couple of meatless days a week and the Instant Pot has really helped with this.
  • USCBMOM22
    USCBMOM22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this group. Looking forward to sharing some new recipes. I've had my IP for about 3 years. For the longest time I only used it to make shredded chicken and hard boiled eggs. Or, just as a crock pot. Now I use it at least 4 to 5 times a week. I also have purchased some accessories and have been experimenting with different recipes using those.
  • baygirl2019
    Options
    USCBMOM22 wrote: »
    Glad to have found this group. Looking forward to sharing some new recipes. I've had my IP for about 3 years. For the longest time I only used it to make shredded chicken and hard boiled eggs. Or, just as a crock pot. Now I use it at least 4 to 5 times a week. I also have purchased some accessories and have been experimenting with different recipes using those.

Welcome to the group! Look forward to seeing your recipes.
  • Esimsmob
    Esimsmob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hello, like most, I am obsessed with my electric pressure pot. Not a brand name Instant pot but a six quart 10 function one that I love. My favorite thing to cook has got to be dried beans and other healthy grains. I will never again buy a can of mushy, tasteless beans. I put the seasonings right in the pot with the dried beans and water or broth. They come out perfect in 40 min. and have unbelievable texture and flavor. A great healthy add to our diet for sure.
  • LiIyGrace
    LiIyGrace Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We just bought our very first pressure cooker (Instant Pot). I'm excited to give it a try this weekend with a few recipes. Glad to find a group here with some healthy choices to look at.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love my Instant Pot Mini!
    I'm mostly vegetarian, my husband is not, so we rarely eat the same foods. The Instant Pot can take care of dinner for one of us while I do the other on the stove. And we both get to enjoy a home-cooked meal.
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I bought my Instapot last November. What I love about it, in regards to my weight loss, is that it makes it simple to make 2 separate meals - a reg dinner for my kids and my keto meal for myself. I don't run out of space on the stove top etc. Last night I threw a frozen honey ham and pealed potatoes in the IP for my kids and made some chicken for myself in the oven.
  • Rachaelwright3220
    Options
    I love the ease of making something healthy in the middle of the day. Throw ingredients in, set, walk away, return to (almost always) perfectly cooked food that works on my food plan.

Spaghetti squash and chicken thighs are my two favorite mainstays. Because of the instant pot ease, I cook several spaghetti squash a week (halve, scoop out seeds, place on trivet - face down so liquid drains during cooking-, 3 min/10 min Nat Release pressure).

I’ve discovered spaghetti squash in a 50/50 proportion with Swedish pancake batter makes the fluffiest/sweetest pancakes. Didn’t even need syrup.

I also use spaghetti squash in 50/50 for my omelette. Adds fiber, is filling, and lowers calories.

My biggest failure so far was trying to follow a blog recipe for Starbucks style egg bites. It was a disaster.

Would love an omelette style instant pot breakfast bites recipe.

This is the first group I’ve joined, and hoping for links to recipes with tips for lightening and success.

Thanks!
  • Selftami
    Selftami Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i am currently trying to get back on track to lose weight and get healthier. Trying to cook more often which lead to the Instant pot.... My fav so far and easiest has been salsa chicken which is shredded and can be used a few days in so many ways.