Question

Options
12Sarah2015
12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
Can you run on the spot for this program. Or should you be running outdoors?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Treadmill or outside is fine.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Just for Vicky @TavistockToad
    04ms3ph5g3ql.jpg
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly i really like this... is it just manually keyed into a calendar or is it in conjunction with another program or app? And fantastic job on the commitment!! I am certainly envious of your dedication! <3
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Hi @showjumper how are things going for you? Is the treadmill getting a workout?

I am currently using the map my fitness app which gives me that record. I haven't paid for premium so it won't give heart rate or cadence figures even though my watch has it.

My workouts are more from necessity really as the train station is 5k from my house and if the weather is nice the next train station is 10k, well 9.8k but who wouldn't take and extra lap around the block to get to 10? It is is pleasing that I haven't resorted to the car as yet, though I am sure it will happen at some point.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ...I haven't paid for premium so it won't give heart rate or cadence figures even though my watch has it....

What kind of watch do you use? I am looking for something on the cheap side so that I can preset interval alarms.

• TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Good morning at @durhammfp I was lucky enough the my wife bought me an apple watch for Christmas. When we were getting her phone we spoke to a sports science undergrad who had looked at watches with her class. The watches working with chest straps came out more accurate to lab test facilities, apple and samsung were pretty much on a par, fitbits tended to be more generous in their calcs. Some of the cheap chinese copies were all over the place. Ultimately none of them could be described as accurate. She did mention 'Withings' came out though I know nothing about them.

I have to say the battery life on the apple sucks, not even sure it could last a full marathon as the HRM and bluetooth really drain the battery.

• TheMrWobbly
    Options
    *came out well
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Good morning at @durhammfp I was lucky enough the my wife bought me an apple watch for Christmas. When we were getting her phone we spoke to a sports science undergrad who had looked at watches with her class. The watches working with chest straps came out more accurate to lab test facilities, apple and samsung were pretty much on a par, fitbits tended to be more generous in their calcs. Some of the cheap chinese copies were all over the place. Ultimately none of them could be described as accurate. She did mention 'Withings' came out though I know nothing about them.

I have to say the battery life on the apple sucks, not even sure it could last a full marathon as the HRM and bluetooth really drain the battery.

Thank you for all the information. I'm an apple laptop guy but have an android phone. I guess I don't have to be totally platform consistent do I. :-)
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Depends, non-cellular watches have to be kept within a short distance of the phone for the bluetooth to work so you need and andriod watch for an android phone.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly I use map my fitness and an Apple Watch too but doesn’t look like that.... I have run a couple of 5kms but with the extra training and the horse show then the “horse show hangover” I’m ready to start being consistent again! We got quite a bit of snow last night so my outdoor running is pretty much done for about 6 month!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Good morning @showjumper - how was the show? If you use the website on your computer for 'mapmyfitness' then go into 'dashboard' and 'view calendar' you get that view. You can sort by type of exercise as well. Cheers! Bob
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    I just re-read and you have snow! That does make things difficult. Congrats on the 5ks so far :)