Net carbs in MyFitnessPal app

Options
JiminyCricket123
JiminyCricket123 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2019 in Social Groups
I have recently started both LCHF and using MFP app. I want to kick-start this new way of eating with a 2-3 week keto induction cycle - so eating really low carbs - less than 20g net carbs per day.
I'm using MFP to keep track as its all new to me....but I'm confused by the way carbs are reported.
Until a few days ago I was just looking at the total grams of carbs daily (on the pie chart thing) and trying to keep it low. But just now I found the nutrients tab which seems to suggest that the 'headline' amount of carbs is TOTAL and includes fibre. Is that right?
My understanding is that the 20g of daily carbs should be total carbs minus fibre. That means that the piechart carb figure isn't relevant and I have to find the nutrient page and subtract the fibre grams myself. Is that right? Or is that 'net carbs' number listed somewhere else I've missed it?
Sorry to be so anal, just want to at least start out right, and understanding exactly what the numbers are.
Thanks all

Replies

• KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As far as i know the only way to track net carbs on here is by doing it yourself. I switched over to Carb Manager just for my tracking because it automatically does net carbs for you and shows you in a nice circle graph how many you have left as you go. If you scan something, say a sugar free treat, that also has alcohol sugars to subtract (if you do that), it will do it all for you and tell you exactly what that packaged item would be.
  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In the pinned discussions is a topic called "Start Here - Lowcarb/Keto Launchpad". If you go there, there are links to sites that will let you enhance your MFP to show net carbs. This works for your computer but not so much your phone.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,451 Member
    Options
    If you download the script Greasemonkey you can get net carbs and pie charts...my diary is open if you would like to look
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My opinion is: the best and busiest forums for conversation are MFP but Cronometer is a far better food tracker and it can be set to total carbs or net carbs. All the macros and micros are available on it. Also if you don't want a lot of detail...Stupid Simple Macros or Stupid Simple Keto is an option. It too can be set to total or net. I don't use it all the time but in my use, I've found only 1 entry that was really far off and that is corn. But who on keto eats corn? :)

All 4 of the comments from others above are on target as viable options. The only thing I might add is if your interest is weight loss only...don't make this too difficult. Keep your carbs low and stay at/around your daily calorie deficit.
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I installed a script to display net carbs on MFP. It works really well on a desktop/laptop. I generally will plug in my food on my phone's app, but if I want to check my macros for the day, log in on my computer.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://perfectketo.com/myfitnesspal-net-carbs/
  • JiminyCricket123
    JiminyCricket123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone - what useful and informed replies. I'll have a play with all the options. Thank you xxx
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    As you can see, there are soooo many ways to do this LCHF. None of them are wrong, it’s only finding what you’re comfortable doing and you find to be easiest for you.

When I did, or do, log I just subtract the numbers mentally. Though I don’t get much fiber anyway since I’m primarily carnivore (eat from the animal kingdom in my LCHF woe!)

Just keep going because it gets easier and is the best woe too (the best food!)!!