Skipping breakfast thoughts?

Options
Hi

I wonder what your thoughts or experiences are on skipping breakfast?

Effects on appetite? Mood? Energy? Weight?

Thank you.

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast. I mean never in 65 years of life. I enjoy having breakfast, stay full, and lose weight well. My husband doesn't generally eat breakfast till he's awake for several hours. He never loses weight. I don't know if the two are connected or not.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1) Appetite: I have found that missing breakfast aka Intermittent Fasting is easy when doing keto because I'm not so hungry.
    The breakfast calories then roll into lunch and dinner so in a way those meals can be bigger or more calorie dense. This then decreases my hunger for the next day and keeps me going till lunch.
    Some do it every day but I prefer 3-4 of days a week and I do 16 hours between dinner (8pm) and the next days lunch (noon). Some people do 18 hour fast, with a 6 hour eat window.

2) Weight: As long as between dinner the night before and lunch you only have black tea, black coffee or water then the body stays in state where it burns extra calories. It is a very effective tool to up the weight loss. Lots of people have very good results.

3) Mood: I have not found a change in my mood on those days, keto makes me pretty happy. I'm not hungry in the morning and hot black tea zaps my caffeine grumpies so it's all good.

4) Energy: Yes that is up! I can not tell you if it's from IF (skipping breakfast) or keto in general.

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat a morning meal. Heck, I'm seldom up and out of bed before 10 - 11 in the morning and typically the only thing I'll have is a cup of coffee and water. On rare occasions I'll make breakfast but it's only once in a blue moon.

I mainly listen to my body and it generally tells me when I need to eat, but the meds I take do mess with my appetite a bit and sometimes I have to remind myself that I haven't eaten all day.

I am still loosing weight but slowed it down after the first of the year via a bump in calories. As for mood and energy I'm probably not the best person to answer those as a chronic pain and fatigue person though I am more clear headed than I've been in a long time so that's something. :)
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    I haven't eaten breakfast in probably 15 or so years. But that's just a habit of mine. I'm just not hungry that time of the day. I also don't eat lunch. I am OMAD. My window frame is 22:2 and I am doing fine. I work out daily as well.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast that consists of two eggs cooked however I prefer that day and either sausage, bacon, or ham. This breakfast is filling for me and I normally don even think about food until supper time

The brainwashing of having to eat three balanced meals every day is a myth! Learn the hunger signals it’s giving you! You will find what works for you too!
  • Audreyonfire
    Audreyonfire Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've just switched my IF from afternoon/eve to eve/morning a week ago. I believe I sleep better as long as I don't eat after 6:00 p.m. I'm an early riser so I'm still a bit hungry at my usual breakfast time but that may just be mental. I also workout at lunch so I'm having to get used to that on an empty stomach. It seems that many people find the morning fasts easier than evening. You'll get used to it quickly.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,573 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have made various changes in the way I eat since starting keto in 2016. Currently I eat a good breakfast and try to get 50 g of protein with it or I get really hungry in the late morning and will get into the cheese that was supposed to be part of lunch just to hold me over. My practice now is to eat some leftover protein from supper the night before when I wake up and have my coffee with HWC. I count this as part of breakfast, which is usually bacon and eggs. This morning I had just shy of 6 oz. of roast turkey breast from last night's supper.

Before I figured out the protein thing for me, I sometimes kept peanuts and would eat an ounce of them at 10:30 or so.

As a data point that is significant to my situation, I am T2D. I am off meds and manage the BG with the keto diet. In general the hunger is well controlled, but I find that unless I keep protein higher than most, I will be hungry at 10:30 and 4. I sometimes have a tin of sardines as a snack at 4. If protein was good at lunch, I am fine until supper.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Right now, I follow an 16-8 IF routine which has me not eating from 8pm til 12pm each day. It doesn't appear to bother me at all, and after starting IF (Jan 2019), after the first month I don't even think about breakfast. Sometimes I make it and bring it for lunch... (Bacon, eggs, avocado, spinach, full fat mozarella..one big omelet)... It's been pretty easy for me to adjust to this method of eating.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It's not actually skipping breakfast doing IF because if you break down the word BREAK - fast it implies a break in the fast. With IF the fast is longer than a typical 12 (?) window of not eating which is largely during sleep. Doing IF is eating breakfast later in the day, that's all. It`s just an extended fast rather than a typical fast
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KarlaYP wrote: »
    I eat breakfast that consists of two eggs cooked however I prefer that day and either sausage, bacon, or ham. This breakfast is filling for me and I normally don even think about food until supper time

The brainwashing of having to eat three balanced meals every day is a myth! Learn the hunger signals it’s giving you! You will find what works for you too!

I agree. Eating when hungry makes the most sense.

I usually skip breakfast and eat after noon because that is when I am hungry; then i have dinner and that's it. Other days i eat 5 or 6 times because i am hungrier. I try to follow my hunger cues as much as possible.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In terms of fitness and health, meal timing is mostly irrelevant. Even for olympic level athletes the improvements to performance are statistically insignificant (less than 3%). What you eat, how much you eat, these are key, when you eat, it doesn't matter much.

There have been some studies with T2Diabetics that indicate skipping dinner is quite beneficial for blood glucose control, but that's a specific metabolic condition.

That being said, there are a lot of people who find it easier to control how much they eat by skipping meals - one less meal means you can eat more at the other two and still stay in a calorie deficit.

Some people find that skipping meals makes them more likely to eat whatever they can grab quick and then they make poor food choices, so starting out, you may want to plan to have food that meets your goals readily available.

It really comes down to, what is more sustainable for you, what fits your life, what meets your goals and is not so cumbersome that you will want to quit. Does it make it easier or harder for you?