Memory loss (short term) and brain fog on keto

Options
VictoryGarden
VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
Is this a common thing? One of the (several) reasons that I chose to try Keto was it's possible way to help with cognitive problems. I find mine have steadily been getting worse.

I start keto in Nov, had a rough December, and got back on track in January. I have noticed a marked increase in memory problems and not being able to find the right words, etc, since then.
FWIW, I'm 40 years old. No metabolic syndrome issues, but it does run strongly down both sides of my family.

I do have hypothyroidism (is associated with brain fog/memory issues) which is treated by daily meds, but I was last tested in Jan just as I was getting on track, and it was normal. If anything, weight loss usually lends itself towards being hyperthyroid, which I don't believe has the same memory issues. I also have none of the other symptoms that usually tell my my meds are too low, such as excessive fatigue, hair loss, and skin issues.

Anybody else have this and find a way to resolve it, or do I possibly have something else going on?

Replies

• VictoryGarden
    Options
    Could this be "keto flu" related, even this far into it??
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I get that when 1. I don't sleep enough with keto 2. Electrolytes are out of wack due to any number of reasons. A good night of sleep and 2 bottles of Powerade Zero and Im usually good the next morning.

Are you getting the right amount of calories in? Especially enough protein?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Could this be "keto flu" related, even this far into it??

It could well be.

I eased into keto so I had my worst keto flu symptoms, because I could not believe I needed 2 tsp of salt a day, almost a month into keto. I still need more sodium when my carb levels fluctuate.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi VG,

I have (in the past, not now) experience with what you are describing and directly connected to being low in B12. I couldn't recall the names of things, mid sentence I forgot what I was saying, I would get the names of things wrong (I was thinking "chair" but was told I said "table") it felt like I was in a cloud. I put it down to getting old because it happened slowly but finally I knew something was wrong.
    I went to the ER because I thought I had a mild stroke. They said I was dangerously low in B12 and once I got some I felt great.
    So I suggest that you check in with your doctor and get that checked.

Some of the other signals for low B12 are numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, problems walking, vision loss, depression, memory loss, weakness, tiredness, or light headedness
    heart palpitations and shortness of breath.

In addition I suggest upping your water, salt and vitamins, eat all your calories and be heavy on the protein because that's our fuel.
    Double check your macro, if your carbs are too high (for you) then this could be causing the fog. I have to keep my carbs very low.

Zandra

• VictoryGarden
    Options
    Thanks guys! My diary is open (I think), so you are all free to check it. I don't necessarily log every day, usually my meals don't vary much from what's in there. I will try upping the salt tomorrow. I have been heavily salting my food, but that may not be enough.

It very well could be a b12 deficiency. I see one of the causes is intestinal problems, and I've had candida issues for the past 6 years. I think I have it beaten down at the moment, but there could still be problems.

I also know I just have a hard time meeting my protein macros. I will try dropping my veggie intake and focus more on the meats, and add eggs back in. (I sell my own farm raised eggs, you'd think I'd always have hard boiled ones around, but alas, that doesn't always happen!)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I only have this problem during intense workouts, and eating some salt always helps me...I didn't look at your diary, but if this is a continuous problem for you, then I would definitely say have more salt.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Zandra,

What dosage of B12 do you take?
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fdhunt1,

I take B12 as needed, I can read the signals.
    I take it in liquid form (per my doctor) so there is a dropper with a line that I follow. I'm not sure of the dose size my guess is it's about a tea spoon, under the tong.
    If I get the flu or I'm really run down (I work long hours) I have in the past had a shot from my doctor.

Z
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I’m with @KetoZandra this sounds like more of a medical issue that. Reds to be resolved, rather than Keto.

That being said, B12 supplements can be purchased just like any vitamin. Your body doesn’t store it if you take too much, so I wouldn’t worry about getting too much in. I recommend getting the highest mg or iu dose you can find and begin taking them until you see your doctor and then maybe they will prescribe the sublingual drops, or shot (usually monthly)

I take B12 shots every month to keep from getting pernicious anemia, but I was also having symptoms of my toes were hurting, and getting sores in my mouth. My neurologist said that the B12 wasn’t high enough to maintain my central nervous system and nerves were being affected (I’m a gastric bypass patient and have problems with malabsorption), so he put me on the shots.

B12 deficiency is very plausible in the symptoms you’re describing, so please see your doctor.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    “Keto flu” is just low sodium and can happen at any time.
    It can happen to anyone. Not just keto dieters. They just don’t call it keto flu when other people have low sodium or hypotranemia.

Sodium supplementation is important all the time. Especially in the beginning but it’s still necessary we’ll beyond adaptation.
    Drinking more water, exercise, sweating, coffee, heat and other things can effect sodium levels so the need can vary from day to day.
  • Heather051979
    Heather051979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting your thyroid levels checked just to be sure. I have hypothyroidism myself and started keto in January at my doctor's suggestion. My levels were checked in January. My doctor is checking them again the end of this month. She said that during weight loss thyroid medications become less effective and need to be checked more regularly.
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    Thyroid meds less effective, hmmm, that may be my issue. I always thought it went the other way. (BTW, that's exciting to hear that a doctor recommended keto!)

I have been upping my sodium and water intake, and trying hard to up the protein to rule those out. (Why is adding protein so hard! lol I love meat, but good grief, it can be hard to finish a large portion of it.)
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    “Keto flu” is just low sodium and can happen at any time.
    It can happen to anyone. Not just keto dieters. They just don’t call it keto flu when other people have low sodium or hypotranemia.

Sodium supplementation is important all the time. Especially in the beginning but it’s still necessary we’ll beyond adaptation.
    Drinking more water, exercise, sweating, coffee, heat and other things can effect sodium levels so the need can vary from day to day.

THIS!!! Before I even began keto I ended up in the hospital with dangerously low sodium. Talk about brain fog, oh boy! Keep those sodium levels up please. Most keto info seems to say we need at Least 3,000 to 5,000 mg sodium daily. During the cooler weather my sodium level seems good around 3,500 but in the summer (drinking more water, sweating outside, etc) I have to jump to 4,000 or more.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself having a time keeping sodium up and you like olives....throw some in your foods, or on your plates at each meal. 5 olives are usually about 25 calories, low carb, and usually have around 330mg of sodium per serving. It's an easy way to help with that without having large impacts on what you eat... (in case you don't want to supplement with pills/drinks or add salt directly to foods).