Help! I'm losing motivation

12Sarah2015
12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
I should have all the motivation in the world. A holiday in two weeks. One cm to go to be average waist size. Currently average weight, BMi 24. Fitting into smaller TShirts. My first compliment wearing a dress last week. But being so close to my goal, I feel so far away. At the same bmi three years ago, I had much less of a tummy, so I know I still have a way to go.. Still 2-3kg to ideal goal. But I am eating beyond maintenance, so my weight is slowly creeping up again. Any tips for being motivated when the goal feels so close yet so far?

Replies

• amaterasuthird
    amaterasuthird Posts: 24 Member
    Have a rest day. Or even a rest week. That way you'll feel more motivated and refreshed, and give the body time to recover (depending on your level of exercise).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Sometimes I find being so close to goal it is even more difficult to stay motivated. For me it's the "is this worth it, I look good enough" mentality. What works for me, taking regular diet breaks to refocus and not burn out. When I get back to my deficit it's kind of like a fresh start.. I feel refreshed and ready to go and push it. Writing down goals (long term and for the week), and what little things I can do to reach those goals can help. It could be things like: walk everyday, meal prep for the week, drink x cups of water, cut out alcohol 3x per week, get 4 lifting sessions in, try a new recipe, etc.
  • amaterasuthird
    I just looked at your diary. 5000 kilojoules intake a day seems really low (like starving your body levels of low). I imagine you aren't feeling great. Maybe ease off on the weight loss a bit, and eat a little bit more. Rushing will actually make it harder. If you lose it too fast, you'll plateau and have a lot of trouble keeping it off. Moderation is the key.

Cut down on your sugar and your fat, increase your protein and try and enjoy food a little bit. There's no point losing it if you can't keep it off. The easiest way to keep it off is to make your diet not a diet, but a permanent lifestyle. That's what worked for me. Your calorie intake is really low. There's no point punishing yourself. You're struggling, because you've made it quite hard to meet your goal. Sure you'll lose it quicker, but you'll also need a lot more willpower to keep it off.
  • LC20202021
    LC20202021 Posts: 24 Member
    Your body needs a break. I find that after a period of dieting, my body and mind need a rest. For every 6 - 8 weeks I take off for a week or two. Thats the only way it works for me mentally and physically. It maybe be better to let your body hand out at this weight for a bit. The last 2-3 kgs are the hardest to get off. Look at it as the next phase of your weight loss. But give yourself a break before tackling it. Try a new approach. I find I need to do that every 10 lbs. Otherwise I plateau.
  • amaterasuthird
    spa411 wrote: »
    Your body needs a break. I find that after a period of dieting, my body and mind need a rest. For every 6 - 8 weeks I take off for a week or two. Thats the only way it works for me mentally and physically. It maybe be better to let your body hand out at this weight for a bit. The last 2-3 kgs are the hardest to get off. Look at it as the next phase of your weight loss. But give yourself a break before tackling it. Try a new approach. I find I need to do that every 10 lbs. Otherwise I plateau.

Well said. This applies whether you're bulking or cutting. It's good to take a break every now and then and let it recover. It might seem like you'll go backwards but in the long run it will help you lose it faster.

The body struggles to perform if tired. This applies to wait loss too, not just output in the workouts. She also imo isn't eating enough. At 5000 kilo joules she's likely starving her body of the nutrients it needs to work efficiently and burn fat.
  • 12Sarah2015
    I just looked at your diary. 5000 kilojoules intake a day seems really low (like starving your body levels of low). I imagine you aren't feeling great. Maybe ease off on the weight loss a bit, and eat a little bit more. Rushing will actually make it harder. If you lose it too fast, you'll plateau and have a lot of trouble keeping it off. Moderation is the key.

Cut down on your sugar and your fat, increase your protein and try and enjoy food a little bit. There's no point losing it if you can't keep it off. The easiest way to keep it off is to make your diet not a diet, but a permanent lifestyle. That's what worked for me. Your calorie intake is really low. There's no point punishing yourself. You're struggling, because you've made it quite hard to meet your goal. Sure you'll lose it quicker, but you'll also need a lot more willpower to keep it off.

I'm only 5'1 so I find 1300 calories or less works for me
  • amaterasuthird

I'm only 5'1 so I find 1300 calories or less works for me
    Ok, so you don't feel weak or sick occasionally or any of that? You feel physically fine most of the time? That's a good indication. Obviously height does factor (I'm 5'8) so for me that's far too little. My suggestion to you would be to take a small break, maybe one week, and let your body rest. Then back into it. You won't slide back as far as you think and in the long run, it will help you lose it faster.
  • 12Sarah2015
    I've decided to take a break this week and go to maintenance level. But continue to exercise for 20 minutes each day.
  • DanaLynne128
    DanaLynne128 Posts: 21 Member
    I have lost some motivation too! I think it's starting to come back, but I could definitely use some accountability friends... Sticking to 1320 cal a day is so tough!
  • 12Sarah2015
    I've tried maintenance for two days. Put on a kg. (im on medicine that I can gain weight on easily). Back to 1200-1300 calories,
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I feel like losing motivation is OK and shouldn't be a cause for concern, because being highly motivated is not a state that should be sustained; we need to put our bodies in balance and moments when we lack motivation may help us to reach a more sustainable platform for wellness. I would look at moments, days, or weeks that lack motivation as opportunities to learn how you can find an even plane of feeling great and working at a level that is appropriate for you to reach your goals and keep being well no matter what comes your way.

Jenn