Ketones as a possible anti-inflammatory

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
I found this quite interesting. Ketones as a seizure preventative due to its anti inflammatory properties. It makes sense. Perhaps that us how it may be helping in headache reduction and my arthritis pain reduction too.
https://www.ketonutrition.org/blog/2019/3/22/ketones-and-inflammation

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I’m a believer too! Ketosis has changed my life with regards to fibromyalgia pain and some migraines too! Hope they do more studies to see what benefits ketosis can have for people who suffer from inflammatory diseases!
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have an inflammatory demyelinating disease of the central nervous system and since doing the keto diet I've experienced a lot of benefits. The leading one is more mental clarity, recall and memory function, my brain is now my friend. I have also experienced a dramatic reduction of inflammation around my feet, ankles and knees which increases my movement. As a weight loss tool the keto diet has also reduced my weight which has taken the weight off of joints and helped with balance and range of motion. I came to keto as a weight loss tool and was surprised by it's benefits for my disease.
    I can see where it would be off benefit to those who have seizures, migraines, headaches and arthritis etc.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can say firsthand that low carb/keto did wonders for my migraines, joint inflammation, and skin issues. However, it did not help with my pain levels.

With that said I've lived in pain my entire life. A combination of defects from birth, injuries in my late teens and early 20s that didn't heal properly, and autoimmune issues that run in the family. Perhaps if the constant pain and weird symptoms hadn't been dismissed by every doctor back then I wouldn't be in the shape I am now. :/ It was only after other close family started having similar problems that mine were finally taken seriously and autoimmune was put on the table. Constant nerve and muscle pain is a real bear to deal with.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you haven't seen it, Netflix has a very interesting documentary titled "The Magic Pill".... It is all about eating clean and living a keto lifestyle, and is very thought provoking!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    craigmandu wrote: »
    If you haven't seen it, Netflix has a very interesting documentary titled "The Magic Pill".... It is all about eating clean and living a keto lifestyle, and is very thought provoking!

It was a good show... I just wish they had left off the keto as a stand alone cancer treatment. For many (most) people, keto will not be that magical. ;) ... but I do wonder what it can do as a cancer preventative. I guess I'll know at the end if my life . :)
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

It was a good show... I just wish they had left off the keto as a stand alone cancer treatment. For many (most) people, keto will not be that magical. ;) ... but I do wonder what it can do as a cancer preventative. I guess I'll know at the end if my life . :)

Totally with you on that...I found this list of "possibilities" interesting: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/15-conditions-benefit-ketogenic-diet#section2

One thing I know for certain is I do not trust the current medical methods for much when it comes to chronic diseases and "afflictions"....

Case in point: My wife has had her heart burned, literally, via cardiac ablation twice... Heart doctors insisted it was needed. Sort of helped her, then the racing conditions came back.

The poor girl went through a lot the last couple of years, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Racing heart condition, etc.. then she gets diagnosed with possible uterus issues...so she has a hysterectomy and is squarely in menopause....

Her heart issues "almost" stop altogether after the hysterectomy. I honestly believe her issue was hormone based, but no one would even look into that, even after both her and I suggested that this was "cycle" related....

Doctors in my opinion have very little "actual" knowledge about what affects what in our bodies, I consider all of them reactive healers and not preventative anythings....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This must be National Heart Ablation Day. I've never read about it on MFP and it has come up twice in the last few minutes of my reading. @craigmandu , I hope the 2nd ablation works for your wife. My docs told me the 1st has a 75% efffectiveness rate and the 2nd, 90%. May she not be one of those 10% for whom it does not work. She certainly has been through lot.

I was talking with my husband the other night and said something about the Asian Salad on the patient menu at Duke being very good. His response was that knowing what is on a hospital menu is not a positive thing. LOL. I imagine your wife is familiar with the hospital menu after all she has been through. My best to her and her health!

ETA and to you also. It's not easy to adjust schedules, etc. And you must have had periods of feeling a bit helpless.
  • Eldrene
    Eldrene Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @karlaYP that is good to hear. I have fibromyalgia as well. It is one of the reasons I decided to start Keto. This is my first week. How long did it take you to start noticing the difference and are you on any medications for it?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @Eldrene , I’ve been in just about every medication (Lyrica made me swell up terribly, Savella worked okay but I couldn’t justify the cost). Nothing has ever consistently reduced the symptoms before Keto. It hasn’t been a cure, since I can still overdo things and have a bad flare from it, but Keto has been amazing!

I began to notice a reduction in symptoms within the first two months of strict Keto. Fewer days of pain to the point that I was able to return to (part time) my nursing career after being unable to work for ten years!

Main thing is to get rid of all processed, and man made fake foods. Margarine, cereals, many frozen dinners, vegetable oil... are all made by man and not found in nature. Returning to meat and low carb veggies (though I don’t eat many of those myself). Consuming foods that actually rot within a few days, instead of the years of shelf life that the processing gives them, is where it’s at!

I only take a mild muscle relaxer, now, if symptoms arise. But also, if I cave and eat something that I’ve eliminated, I will see a day or two of worse pain. Otherwise I’m good as long as I remain diligent with my food intake.

Hang in there! It gets easier as time goes by. You’re also welcome to send me a friend request and message me with any questions you might have!! Gentle hugs!!