Eggs are bad for you....... again

Options
VictoryGarden
VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
Eggs being a key food for many keto followers, makes me wonder if big pharma/food is fighting back at all fronts. Keto crotch and now this.

**************************************************************************************************
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2019-03-15/study-four-eggs-a-week-increases-risk-of-heart-disease-death

A NEW STUDY THREATENS to once again reverse the conventional wisdom about eggs and their place in a healthy diet, finding that people who consume more of the beloved breakfast food had an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and death.

Research results from the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine found that adults who eat more eggs and dietary cholesterol have a significantly higher risk of heart disease and death from any cause.

That conclusion is generally consistent with decades of warnings to limit intake of eggs – advice that was suddenly reversed in the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which no longer limited how much dietary cholesterol people should consume.

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines advised people to limit cholesterol intake to 300 milligrams per day. That instruction was not included in the latest version of the guidelines, which did note that "this change does not suggest that dietary cholesterol is no longer important to consider."

Eggs, especially egg yolks, are high in dietary cholesterol.

Researchers in the Northwestern study found that eating 300 milligrams of cholesterol per day was associated with a 17 percent higher risk of heart disease and an 18 percent higher risk of all-cause deaths. Additional results showed that eating three to four eggs a week was associated with a 6 percent higher risk of heart disease and an 8 percent higher risk of all-cause death.

The report said egg yolks are one of the richest sources of cholesterol among commonly consumed foods. One large egg yolk has 186 milligrams of cholesterol.

"Individuals should eat as little dietary cholesterol as possible while consuming a healthy eating pattern," the guidelines state. "In general, foods that are higher in dietary cholesterol, such as fatty meats and high-fat dairy products, are also higher in saturated fats."

The authors even suggest that the most recent version of the federal dietary guidelines, in which eating eggs is still recommended, may need to be re-evaluated in light of their study's findings.

Although previous studies on egg consumption found that eggs did not increase the risk of heart disease, the studies did not have a diverse sample and were short-term studies that did not adjust for other parts of the diet, Norrina Allen, co-author and associate professor of preventive medicine, said in a press release.

In the Northwestern study, researchers were able to compare two people who otherwise had the same diet, but one of whom consumed more eggs.

"Our study showed if two people had exact same diet and the only difference in diet was eggs, then you could directly measure the effect of the egg consumption on heart disease," Allen said. "We found cholesterol, regardless of the source, was associated with an increased risk of heart disease."

Based on the findings, researchers advise that people eat fewer eggs, but they do not have to cut them out completely. Eggs contain other nutrients important to a healthy diet, such as iron and amino acids.

"We want to remind people there is cholesterol in eggs, specifically yolks, and this has a harmful effect," Allen said. "Eat them in moderation."

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It is starting to look like a crazy conspiracy, isnt it?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,148 Member
    Options
    Eggs will never be bad in my book :p:p:p
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    There are several problems with that study:

1. It is a population study. It is not a controlled study with parameters and such. As such, it can be used to identify further areas of study but that is about it. To draw conclusions like they did is absurd.
    2. They based all of the info about what people were eating based on a single questionnarrie that people filled out at the beginning of the study. There was no follow-up to see if people were still eating the same things 17 years later - another absurd assumption that people's eating habit would not change at all across a 17 year period.
    3. There were no adjustments or controls for other things that people were eating - the assumption being made is that eggs and eggs alone were responsible for the bad findings.
    4. Any result that can be derived from a population study is purely correlative and cannot prove causation in any form (another issue with population studies).

I could literally go on and on about all of the problems and issues with the 'study' and with any 'findings' that they want to claim from that study.

My dad brought this finding up to me yesterday. :unamused: I hadn't yet read the study, but I told him why it was probably bunk and gave all the points you listed. Looks like I was right. :lol:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    This is not a study, this is a survey and a bunch of conclusions, none of which are actually supported by any kind of scientific method.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I considered most anti Keto, anti meat, and anti eggs postings to be clickbait. Nothing to even see there.
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Just putting it out there so for those that haven't heard can know what's going on again. I raise my own egg-laying chickens. I sure am not going to cut back on my egg consumption unless I'm sold out! ;)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It is starting to look like a crazy conspiracy, isnt it?

puts no his cynic hat...

Nope - not a conspiracy, just an attempt to get more research dollars... a pretty simple formula actually. Find something that the government has done (in this case, drop cholesterol as a 'bad' food item), data mine some studies and draw a conclusion that indicates that the previous government action 'could' in some way be harmful to people. That forces more studies (and more research grants/money) to either prove or disprove the findings, thus keeping the researchers employed and happy (regardless of the outcome of the further studies).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I just wish the research was actually to learn something new and not rehash old science already laid to bed.

Speaking of new science, Kevin Hall is putting together a new study on Lchf vs hclf. Might be interesting....
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    It would be interesting to do a study here on MFP. Daily food and exercise is easily available. Not sure if the keto eaters would make a large enough pool, though.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to do a study here on MFP. Daily food and exercise is easily available. Not sure if the keto eaters would make a large enough pool, though.

How big a pool do you want? This group has nearly 60k members and the Keto group has 15k. Even accounting for attrition and people in both groups, you can probably pull a good hundred or so from these two groups alone. Add in the people who do a form of keto, but aren't in the groups and you can probably push that number up a fair bit.
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    Good point. I'm guilty of just relying on the active posts going vs. looking at actual numbers. :blush:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ccNIPcFbc

If eggs were bad for you, I'd be dead.
  • wrziesmer
    wrziesmer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "Good point. I'm guilty of just relying on the active posts going vs. looking at actual numbers"

And lots of us are lurkers who don't post a lot....
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Wait until industry starts losing too much of their revenue on eggs and then "we" won't be able to raise chickens anymore...we "won't be able to adequately protect ourselves against the possible diseases they might get"... FOOD in general is the biggest money/power grab there is, too many people start "fending" for themselves, they just take away your ability to do it...same with building things, making your own water, cultivating your own nutrients etc..
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I loved when we had ducks, fresh duck eggs are THE BEST in my opinion...so yum...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I really would love to see more studies on keto/low carb eaters. I'm still going on the theory that the combo of high carb with high fat is bad for you, so a study like this doesn't even feel relevant to me.
    And I easily eat 10-14 eggs a week. (On rushed mornings I might just have lunchmeat and cheese with my coffee and HWC or H&H.)