Advice please

I've fallen if the track completely and put on a lot of weight in a month. I'm back visiting family and have been using binging as a comfort for the stress. What do you all do when you find yourself just mindlessly snacking? I find I've eaten a daily amount in calories by the time u catch myself. How do I prevent this?

Replies

• _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    edited December 2018
    First, maybe try to reflect on why has this happened? What stressed you out, what was the main trigger? Learning to recognise those makes is so much easier to control....Secondly, don't beat yourself up - it happens to the strongest, treat it as a lesson and a mistake to learn from. Have you tried meditation? It's great for stress relief. Stay strong, you got this
  • Mirboujourney
    Mirboujourney Posts: 12 Member
    Yeah I get what you mean try to prevent the binge rather than react. Thank you ❤️
  • HealthyHappyMom37
    HealthyHappyMom37 Posts: 29 Member
    Just remember your problems will be there whether or not you binge. You might as well make the right decision to eat healthy so you feel better and can cope with the problems better. If you binge your just adding another problem to deal with.
  • Annemariezonderma
    Annemariezonderma Posts: 45 Member
    For me it helps to think about the short term and especially the long term effects... What will my binge eventually cause? -> More suffer and (emotional) pain.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    I meal prep a lot so I can stick to a plan. I also tend to keep my hands busy so I don't eat instead.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I've been reading a lot about food addiction. Right now I'm reading Food: The Good Girl's Drug by Sunny Sea Gold. I need actual tools and practices to help me. I also began attending OA meetings. Many bingers, compulsive overeaters, and food addicts need resources
  • Jkbedolla
    Jkbedolla Posts: 1 Member
    @ladyzherra what is OA meetings? I have heard of this book. It was recommended to me by a friend!!
  • Grimmerdhore
    Grimmerdhore Posts: 63 Member
    There are several things I do when tempted to binge, or get ambushed by a snack attack: 1) Be prepared - I have snacks available that are substitutes for what I used to eat - instead of popcorn, nuts, and candy I now snack on cucumbers and celery; 2) I try to plan my meals in advance by researching local eateries, etc.; and 3) I try to write instead of cheat - writing is a powerful tool for me, so usually when I feel like binging it's because I'm not wanting to face something, and writing helps me face it and deal with it. I hope this helps. Feel free to add me.