New sleeve here

Options
Italianma7
Italianma7 Posts: 83 Member
Hi my name is Marjo. I just got my sleeve Feb 26th. I had a band to sleeve revision. I'm still having episodes of nausea and I have a drain in that is scheduled to come out on March 20th. There's still a little pain especially at the drain site. Today my bf took me to Walmart. This is the first time I've left the house since surgery. It felt good to get out of the house. We were at Walmart for about an hour. By the time we left I was a little nausea and tired. How long has it took for everyone to recover?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Increasing activity gradually is usually better than wearing yourself out at Walmart, imo. I’m sure it did feel good to get out. Next time maybe go to a park and walk around a bit. Leave the Walmart runs for him right now.

Im sure it was two to three weeks before I attempted anything like that. My goal was to increase the distance I walked each day by walking around my back yard.

Be a little more gentle with yourself and give yourself the time necessary to fully recover properly. Especially since you still have a drain in. I hope you are too fatigued from the outing!

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a week. I was in very little pain and didnt need the whatever that narcotic was that they gave me. . I just had a hard time getting in all those fluids and protein which is essential. Especially the fluids, I go to a WLS support group and have met more than a few that have had to return to the hospital with dehydration issues. I gad the gastric bypass on December 20 th 2017.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Every recovery is different, from person to person and surgery to surgery! Plus Walmart is an exhausting place on the best of days lol!

I had my surgery on a Monday, was outside walking on that wednesday, off pain meds by Thursday, back to work after 2 weeks!! I have a family member who had the same surgery 2 months after me from the same surgeron, her recovery was much different, she barely got up for 2 weeks and stayed off work for 5 weeks!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Sleeved on 3/12. Threw up once after surgery, and that was it. They allowed me to walk out of the hospital on my own the same day! No pain meds but some Tylenol on Day 2. I went to my kids' award ceremony the same night after surgery. I felt better than pre-surgery immediately. I can't stop walking and moving around, I feel so good.
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a band revision to sleeve too! I was sleeved on 12/3/18. I was off pain meds within the first few days. Intermittent nausea was a problem for me for a about month, but it has since gotten way way better.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! So great to see so many new people! It’s next to impossible to get all of the nutrition, and fluids in during the first week, or two. The key is to always have it available though. If you sit down, or go for a walk, and don’t have a container of fluids to sip on beside/or with you, that’s when you’re making a mistake. You have to keep sipping fluids all day long to prevent serious dehydration. Even when you get up at night to pee you need to sip on some water.

With the limitations of not drinking before and after eating (which I still adhere to because it washes the food out of the pouch or sleeve and you never feel full, or it fills you up too quick and then you can’t get the nutrition you need) it cuts down on drinking time. So you have to be prepared to drink all the time. My favorite cup has been a “Yeti” that either keeps it cold, or hot, while I’m drinking, and it doesn’t sweat!! So, no condensation ruining the furniture it’s sitting on!

The further out you get from surgery, the easier it gets!