What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    April....take me away from March...
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    Options
    1st April 2019: New day! New week! New month! Three good reasons to make a new start!

Use your talents wisely.

😎 Have an Aspirational April! 😎
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Happy to be here for April UAC. Yay for 4/1 and Monday:) Going for 1200z water today and 5c fruit/veggies and strength training! Lets do this!!
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Excited to start the challenge! I'm on track for the day although it was too cold to bike to work. Yoga it is!
  • FlyerBear
    FlyerBear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Happy to be here!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Does anyone else do the thing where you count dinner toward the next day? I find that it's really helpful to start the day knowing how much I can have for breakfast and lunch rather than having to compensate a large lunch with a teeny dinner that leaves me hungry.

If anyone struggles with controlling portions during the day, this might be a good strategy for you! My lunches are controlled by what I bring in to work so I can easily make sure I don't go over calories. Obviously meal prepping and planning is a great strategy for some, but as a moody eater it doesn't work for me. (By moody I mean I can't get myself to eat things when I'm not in the mood for them, not that I eat emotionally, which is also a problem)
  • grizziegriz
    grizziegriz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Day 2 and I'm feeling good. I did really good yesterday up until the end of the day last night when my kids made sugar cookies. I had 3 but I'm not to worried about it. :)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when my teen and I eat hamburgers, that means "fast food". So since I am trying to develop more healthy lifestyle choices, I need to make hamburgers at home. I was curious if anyone has any hamburger recipes that they would like to share. Since I am watching my calories, should I add "fillers" like breadcrumbs or quick-oats?

Thanks everyone!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    I finally got to bike to work today! It was in the 40s instead of the 30s like it has been. I love being able to do this because it feels good for my body and the environment. Cardio is back in my life!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    I have noticed that when my teen and I eat hamburgers, that means "fast food". So since I am trying to develop more healthy lifestyle choices, I need to make hamburgers at home. I was curious if anyone has any hamburger recipes that they would like to share. Since I am watching my calories, should I add "fillers" like breadcrumbs or quick-oats?

Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't add any fillers unless you're going for more fiber. In that case, try some kind of seed like flax, hemp, or chia. Personally, I just use ground meat (usually turkey) and lots of seasoning to give it some flavor. Good for you finding a healthier way to eat what you like!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »

Thanks everyone!

I don't use any fillers, but I do use 90% lean which helps.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I too don't use any fillers and just 90% lean. I like to have a philly burger, which I don't know if it exists anywhere in the world since I'm not American but it tastes nice to me...beef patty, onion and one slice of lactose-free cheese on a bread bun (homemade).
    I have tried homemade sloppy joes too but loose ground meat is just not my thing, I prefer my burger to come in one piece!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I make sometimes make homemade burgers using low fat mince, (ground Beef). I add a beaten egg to bind it together and add herbs and spices. No filler. I spray them with One Cal olive oil spray and grill them. Lovely served with a fresh salad.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @megbeveridge93 @AbandondedKSCharger @trimi1104 @TerriRichardson112 Thank you everyone for your responses and the pointers!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for posting!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    @BMCc9, thanks for sharing! Like you said, I think this could apply to just about everything! I probably want to sneak a formula in there to make it a little more forgiving, because I think it's not realistic to achieve a daily goal 365 days per year, but I really like idea. :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    fitphoenix wrote: »
    @BMCc9, thanks for sharing! Like you said, I think this could apply to just about everything! I probably want to sneak a formula in there to make it a little more forgiving, because I think it's not realistic to achieve a daily goal 365 days per year, but I really like the idea. :)

It think the point is to reconnect people to an in-the-moment sense of accomplishment. Just For Today .... I will strive to do X. Achieve X on a regular basis, and the Y and Z of monthly / yearly will take care of themselves.
    ===========
    Apply either the 90/10 or the 80/20 rule as seems appropriate - UAC is based on "90/10" for The Big Three questions .....

.... so long as you succeed with the daily goal 80 to 90% of the time (and keep an eye on the running average over your 4 weekly check-ins, making minor adjustments as needed), you should still be on target monthly - which will carry you through to yearly ...

And more important .... Keep the UAC overarching philosophy of "using more that three (or 4) passes in a month is NOT the end of the game .... keep at it, only pay attention to what you are accomplishing TODAY, and as needed, own your choices and adjust course slightly tomorrow. The miracle of compound interest (aka future improvements building on past results) will take care of the rest." as a larger framing perspective.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    And it makes you keep the Just For Today expectations realistic! Which will make your monthly / yearly targets more likely to actually be hit!

(And regular review on all scales gives you a chance to make realistic adjustments, based on unexpected changes in circumstance - like illness or injury slowing you down for a short time, or increased base fitness level allowing higher weekly exercise calorie burns, thus allowing you to up your month-by month expectations later in the year.)